Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to open .txt file?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm new; just started kodi on a new mac mini (OS X EC).
I work mainly with File Manager and would like to know how I can read a .txt file?
I cannot launch a .URL either.
(Files are on a NAS, used with NFS read only).
there is no text reader inside kodi
Thanks,
is it possible to launch an extern text reader within kodi?
Not that i know off. You would need to write a python addon to do so i guess.
(2015-12-31, 14:11)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]there is no text reader inside kodi

there's a textviewer dialog (the one used to display addon changelogs).
it's probably fairly easy to reuse it for displaying the contents of textfiles and the likes.
would even open up the possibility to display the kodi logfile inside kodi.

no idea if the idea is worth pursuing...
Thanks, sorry it took so long for my reaction...
I can't download a file there...
What should I do?

I have found an add-on Textreader here:
https://superrepo.org/nl/kodi/addon/plug...extreader/
but I can't have it opening a text file in filemanager by clicking on the file name
That repo is on the banned add-on (wiki) list due to it containing various unwelcome add-ons. So please be careful with what you install.
Thanks, I didn't even know of the existence of such a banned add-on (wiki) list (just started kodi).
I'm surprised I can't just read a simple file as a plain text file within the filemanager in kodi.
its a media center in the end - its not an operating system - filemanager is ment for copy, rename or move media files around...
I do understand you, but my problem is, having bought a mac mini only to replace my Popcornhour A-400, I use kodi only on the couch with a Harmony Ultimate remote and than having to launch OS X Texteditor for reading a simple text file: this isn't easy at all.
Long ago I have chosen to put all media info in a text file with the idea this would always be the most compatible and accesable file format...

update 8/1
Is it not possible to have a script file opening OS X Texteditor within kodi filemanager and defining a remote button for this?
Do you have another mac? If so you can control the mini over your local network with Screen Sharing and open all the text files you want in the Mac OS. Alternatively, with a bluetooth keyboard (or USB keyboard with long cable) you could switch between Kodi and Mac OS and do most anything you want, viewing it on your TV.
Thanks, but that's not what I want.
I was hoping that it was possible to run a script within kodi that would launch OS X Texteditor (on the mini) to read a selected TXT file and that I could bind this to a button on my Harmony remote.
I know kodi is a mediaplayer, but is it really that difficult to make it "play" a simple text file?
can your car mix a drink? i mean there are enough rotating parts in a car that could do it for sure... Wink

it is possible with kodi - but not without programming an addon - which is not so hard if you have some python programming experience...
Still not possible to to read a text file (ascii) within the filemanager in Kodi?
Pages: 1 2