Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help with redefining Harmony buttons?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm familiar with Logitech remotes, now with a Harmony Ultimate.
Just started with Kodi on a new Mac Mini (OSX EC), I did setup the Ultimate:
in kodi: input device = Harmony remote
in Harmony: Device = Plex, Plex player.
With the thereby created Activity, buttons work fairly well, but I would like to improve this.
I assume that with my hardware configuration, it is not possible to distinguish between short/long button pressing. Therefore I reassigned Skip Forward/Backward to Channel Up/Down.
However, I would like to define some other buttons, but here is no original remote I can learn from, as I dit before.
How can I achieve my goal?
I would have the RED button to jump to the Home Screen from kodi.
If I could succeed this, then I could do some other defining too.
Can anyone help?
This is the keycap I'm using kodi/userdata/keymaps/joystick.Harmony.xml

http://pastebin.com/nyMQMG6G
Thanks, much to do...
Based on your key mapping, as a start, I've tried this: keyboard.xml

<keymap>
<global>
<joystick name="Harmony">
<!-- Blue -->
<button id="86">ToggleFullScreen</button>
</joystick>
</global>
</keymap>

I stored the file in my user library-application support- kodi - userdata - keymaps folder.
It works, I can go on
just search for the keymap editor addon and install that, you can map any keys to any functions, as far as keys that dont "register" in KODI (there are a bunch) you can adjust those with the My Harmony PC app.. basically you need to just change them to any command, as long as KODI picks them up you can assign them to what you want to do with that addon, once you get a fully working remote, you can go back and reassign "long presses" in that My harmony app , theres enough working buttons for me at least to get a fully working remote and about 8 buttons with long presses.. im running a RPi so i dont know if your results will vary.
Sorry, I do not understand right away;
I'll try the keymap editor addon,
but I thought my Harmony Ultimate when used with Mac Mini and KODI, could not distinguish between long/short press?
Can somebody say for sure if a Harmony Ultimate remote can distinguish between long and short button press: Yes or No?
(2016-01-05, 16:17)riji Wrote: [ -> ]Can somebody say for sure if a Harmony Ultimate remote can distinguish between long and short button press: Yes or No?

My harmony smart control remote does both in kodi and via the harmony app, so I can assign 2 different keystrokes in the harmony app, one for long press and a different for short press. Also when I long press the select button in kodi I get the context menu meaning yes kodi also distinguishes long press from short press.
Thanks,
what device is kodi on?
I think my mac mini is the obstacle?
(2016-01-05, 21:42)riji Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks,
what device is kodi on?
I think my mac mini is the obstacle?

im running a raspberry PI2 running openelec.

you still can use the harmony app to define a different button command to long press via the My Harmony PC app. this will work regardless of OS
I don't think the OS is the obstacle either, I fear it's the hardware and Apple's own way of handling things .
So my question is now:
Can somebody, using a mac mini,
say for sure if a Harmony Ultimate remote can distinguish between long and short button press: Yes or No?
Probably not? Harmony remotes on Mac IR receivers are just emulating Apple's remote IR signals. Apple's remotes send long-press by sending a different IR signal rather than Kodi seeing a button as "long" or "short" pressed.
Thanks, this way it's clear.
My problem with short/long press are especially the short/long press buttons for:
Rewind & SkipPrevious / FastForward & SkipNext
I have reassigned ChannelUp/ChannelDown from the Harmony to SkipNext/SkipPrevious, but I fear I'll need this buttons in other parts of kodi (only recently started with kodi).
I may use the keyboard mapping in:
but I don't know what buttons have id=92 and id=91?
(2016-01-05, 23:07)riji Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, this way it's clear.
My problem with short/long press are especially the short/long press buttons for:
Rewind & SkipPrevious / FastForward & SkipNext
I have reassigned ChannelUp/ChannelDown from the Harmony to SkipNext/SkipPrevious, but I fear I'll need this buttons in other parts of kodi (only recently started with kodi).
I may use the keyboard mapping in:
but I don't know what buttons have id=92 and id=91?

i should say im using bluetooth over here and not WIFI and with bluetooth openelec seems to recognize long presses, you can still program different commands to long presses via the My harmony app that should be a sufficient workaround isnt it? or is this only possible with bluetooth?
Yes long key presses work with the harmony software or with the longpress mod in Jarvis. I am currently using a Mac mini 2014 with openelec. I use the key map I posted above and in the harmony software I set the device up as plex.
(2016-01-06, 01:31)porkchop999 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes long key presses work with the harmony software or with the longpress mod in Jarvis. I am currently using a Mac mini 2014 with openelec. I use the key map I posted above and in the harmony software I set the device up as plex.

Button id=91 "SkipPrevious" = long pressing the button on the left under the "Off" button on the Harmony Ultimate?
Pages: 1 2