Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: no HD audio passthrough
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Trying to diagnose the source of my issue.

Installed openelec as a VM with hardware passthrough. Things load up fine and my hardware appears fine under audio audio and video. the issue come when playing a file with HD audio codec.

I have audio set to passthrough and my receiver supporting all the various formats. When file plays, the video is there, but no audio. So, I disable passthrough and suddenly I have audio but it is not the HD format. Turn it back on and the audio is gone again. I was thinking it is and openelec sided issue, but it wouldnt seem so, so I wanted to post the issue here to see if we can get any ideas.

The video card is a AMD that I had in another system that was running OE bare metal and passthrough was fine. In this case, I understand it is a VM, but with the hardware passed through, I cannot imagine it should function any differently, should it?
Try without VM from an USB stick.

File the bug with those that provide your VM - as they obviously break your passthrough capabilities.
Well, the provider of the vm is me. Downloaded the generic image, mounted it, booted, installed to the disk I had mounted.

Same as if I booted up on physical hardware.
Messed with this a bit more and realize that when pass through is enabled, the receiver says it has no signal. So, maybe the hardware is not passed correctly or kodi/openelec doesn't like it.

How do I see what kodi specifically sees the hardware as?

I am also pursuing things on the vm side to ensure the video card is being passed correctly.
@frtitsch I saw a similar issue to this last night in a post where you suggested forcing 60hz refresh and to not match the fps of the video.

I don't think the user ever confirmed or denied, but my question is, where do I do this.

Is it in the gui or with the use it for advanced settings? And to confirm you want me to test with 60/24?

I am running libreelec so I was thinking this is related to the kernel issue you mentioned.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
Don't enable Adjust Refreshrate to match video and post a Debug Log - then everything is included that is needed.
(2016-04-30, 07:57)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Don't enable Adjust Refreshrate to match video and post a Debug Log - then everything is included that is needed.
Thanks. I may also force it with advanced settings just to be sure. Or is that not needed/recommended?
not needed ... no idea what you would want to force in there.
The thought was putting them into advanced settings would override anything set in the GUI, in the event it got changed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P