Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: KodiBuntu VAAPI MPEG2 Issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got KodiBuntu 14.04.3 x64 (Kodi 15.2 Git:02e72013 Compiled Oct 19 2015) running on an Intel small form factor PC. I've upgraded the kernel to 3.19.8-031908-generic. CPU is i5-4570T with 8GB RAM and DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (Intel onboard video) and wired Intel gigabit ethernet.

I'm playing an MKV file that's a direct rip of a DVD. There has been no transcoding done on this file. When I have VAAPI enabled, I have some black frames and slight (non-green) pixelation during MKV with MPEG2 playback. This happens consistently on the MKV files that I've ripped that are MPEG2. When I disable VAAPI, playback is perfectly fine. However, BluRay playback will be stuttery with VAAPI disabled. I've been looking around the forum and have followed this guide to upgrade the kernel and the vaapi-driver from wsnipex. This hasn't fixed the VAAPI MPEG2 issue. Where should I look next? I like the ease of use of KodiBuntu, but I'm open to suggestions. Please let me know if there's any other info I need to add. Thank you!
assuming the content is interlaced, what are your deinterlacing settings? With an i5-4570T, you should be able to use VAAPI motion compensated, as long as you're running the latest Intel drivers etc
Thanks for replying! I've discovered I can only see my Deinterlace settings when I have the video playing. My video settings are:

Deinterlace video: AUTO
Deinterlace method: Auto Select
Video scaling method: Auto

I've just changed those settings to:

Deinterlace video: Auto
Deinterlace method: VAAPI - Motion compensated
Video scaling method: Lanczos3 - Optimized

This has fixed the black frame issue. Pixelation has been fixed as well. However, this has added in the occasional ever so slight stutter. It is not constant, but it is noticeable. At least in fast moving video.

How can I tell if I'm running the latest Intel drivers? Thanks!
(2016-01-02, 02:02)joltman Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for replying! I've discovered I can only see my Deinterlace settings when I have the video playing. My video settings are:

Deinterlace video: AUTO
Deinterlace method: Auto Select
Video scaling method: Auto

I've just changed those settings to:

Deinterlace video: Auto
Deinterlace method: VAAPI - Motion compensated
Video scaling method: Lanczos3 - Optimized

This has fixed the black frame issue. Pixelation has been fixed as well. However, this has added in the occasional ever so slight stutter. It is not constant, but it is noticeable. At least in fast moving video.

How can I tell if I'm running the latest Intel drivers? Thanks!

change the scaling to bilinear. lanczos3 is superior, but diff is small, and CPU hit is large. Also save as default at bottom.