Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Freezing During Fast Forward
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Guys -

I've tried to do my homework before posting and have found related posts, but no solution or explanation so far, so here it goes...

I am having / have had issues in Kodi when fast forwarding. In nearly every video, it seems the faster I try to fast forward; the more often it freezes after a few seconds. It doesn't crash Kodi and if I click "Play", it will resume at the point it froze at where I then try to fast forward again. It's becoming extremely frustrating! This occurs on videos of all varieties. I've tried wiping the OS and performing a complete reinstall, but no to avail. This has always been an issue since I ran XBMC 12.x a while back. I've tried a few things like making adjustments in advancedsettings.xml like increasing the cache, but that doesn't help, either.

Below is the system setup for my main Kodi box, Kodi's basic Configuration, & my current advanced.xml

Kodi System Configuration
- Kodi 15.2
- Windows 7 x64 (Fully Patched)
- Dedicated system connected to TV via HDMI
- Intel I7 CPU
- 8gb RAM
- SSD for OS Disk
- All drivers are installed & 100% up to date
- Currently using integrated video (Intel HD5000) but about to re-install my Nvidia GX660 as sometimes I use PC for Nvidia Gamestream. Issue occurs when I used the 660 previously, too
- Only other thing the system is used for is eventghost to control many things in Kodi, Flirc USB, and Plex Home Theater which I sometimes switch to. Plex HT does not run in background while Kodi is running, though.

Kodi Configuration
- Each library has a single remote source path connected via SMB and located on a different PC which is on the same LAN
- Kodi PC & Server (library sources) are each connected via ethernet (10/100/1000) to router (Have used at least 3 different routers since issue started)
- Basic setup using Artic Zephyr skin (issue occurs no matter skin used)
- A few various Plugins which all come from Kodi's default repo
- Watch status for everything synced with TrakTV

Configuration Files
Link to guisettings.xml
Link to sources.xml
Link to advancedsettings.xml (also shown below)
advancedsettings.xml
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <videolibrary>
    <importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
    <importresumepoint>true</importresumepoint>
    <recentlyaddeditems>75</recentlyaddeditems>  <!-- How many items to list in "Recent" category -->
    <hideemptyseries>true</hideemptyseries>  <!-- set to "true" to hide empty series in the video library and prevent empty series from being removed during a library cleanup. -->
    <dateadded>1</dateadded>
    </videolibrary>
<network>
    <buffermode>1</buffermode> <!-- Default is 1 -->
    <cachemembuffersize>256000000</cachemembuffersize> <!-- Default is 20971520 bytes or 20 MB -->
    <readbufferfactor>25</readbufferfactor> <!-- Default is 1.0 -->
</network>
<video>
    <timeseekforward>30</timeseekforward> <!-- Skip back time 15 s -->
    <timeseekbackward>-10</timeseekbackward> <!-- Skip forward time 10 s -->
    <subsdelayrange>0</subsdelayrange> <!-- Subtitle offset adjustment range -->
    <playcountminimumpercent>90</playcountminimumpercent> <!--Minimum percentage that has to be played before it is marked as watched. Set to 101 to never auto-mark items as watched -->
    <ignorepercentatend>8</ignorepercentatend> <!-- percentage of video to ignore at the end. If you stop watching the video here no resume point is created. Set to 101 to never save a resume point. The video is already marked as watched at 90%, see above. -->
    <excludefromscan>
        <regexp>-trailer</regexp>
        <regexp>[!-._ \\/]rarbg[-._ \\/]</regexp>
        <regexp>[!-._ \\/]sample[-._ \\/]</regexp>
        <regexp>.*extra.*</regexp>
        <regexp>.*bonus.*</regexp>
    </excludefromscan>
    <trailermatching> <!-- This regexp will match moviename_Trailer.avi -->
        <regexp>(.*?)(-trailer)(\.[^.]+)$</regexp>
    </trailermatching>
</video>
<videoscanner>
    <ignoreerrors>true</ignoreerrors> <!-- Silently ignore errors while scanning videos. -->
</videoscanner>
</advancedsettings>

Media Played
Most of the media played are MKV and MP4 with a few AVIs and other formats floating around. Most of them are also H264 even though I'm starting to use H265 / HEVC more currently. All seemingly have the issue

Kodi Log File
I checked the log file for timestamps for when the freezing occurs. Unfortunately, it doesn't show anything that cooresponds when it happens. In fact, the only error(s) it shows not related to media scanning is below and seem to relate to the add-on PleXMBC which I tried out a while back yet do not currently use. The issue occurred well before trying to plugin anyways...
Code:
11:59:06 T:3308   ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
11:59:06 T:3308   ERROR:   File "C:\Users\XBMC\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.plexbmc.helper-3.4.1\resources\lib\httppersist.py", line 62, in get
11:59:06 T:3308   ERROR:     conn.request("GET", path, headers=header)
11:59:06 T:3308   ERROR:   File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\system\python\Lib\httplib.py", line 995, in request
11:59:06 T:3308   ERROR:     self._send_request(method, url, body, headers)
11:59:06 T:3308   ERROR:   File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\system\python\Lib\httplib.py", line 1029, in _send_request
11:59:06 T:3308   ERROR:     self.endheaders(body)
11:59:06 T:3308   ERROR:   File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\system\python\Lib\httplib.py", line 991, in endheaders
11:59:06 T:3308   ERROR:     self._send_output(message_body)
11:59:06 T:3308   ERROR:   File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\system\python\Lib\httplib.py", line 844, in _send_output
11:59:06 T:3308   ERROR:     self.send(msg)
11:59:06 T:3308   ERROR:   File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\system\python\Lib\httplib.py", line 806, in send
11:59:06 T:3308   ERROR:     self.connect()
11:59:06 T:3308   ERROR:   File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\system\python\Lib\httplib.py", line 787, in connect
11:59:06 T:3308   ERROR:     self.timeout, self.source_address)
11:59:06 T:3308   ERROR:   File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\system\python\Lib\socket.py", line 571, in create_connection
11:59:06 T:3308   ERROR:     raise err
11:59:06 T:3308   ERROR: error: [Errno 10049] The requested address is not valid in its context
11:59:06 T:3308  NOTICE: Unable to connect to
                                            Reason: None

Any thoughts or suggestions? Happy to post links to other files if needed (except passwords.xml) Big Grin Thanks!
Can you test with a local source instead of smb?
I will try first thing in the AM and post back once I do. Even if it doesn't freeze, shouldn't SMB accessed files not freeze if there's plenty of cache? Kodi obviously shows in the progress bar how much is cached with the pink line and freezing occurs while still well within it.

Thanks
I'm also experiencing this same issue, with locally recorded live TV and stored movies. So here's my config to hopefully add to this. Been driving me mad. Attempting to replicate bzowk's formatting as it's exceedingly legible.

Kodi System Configuration
  • Kodi 15.2
  • Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center Pack. Fully updated.
  • I'm running this mini-PC hooked up directly to TV via HDMI
  • AMD A8-5545 APU
  • 4GB RAM
  • SSD for OS
  • All current drivers
  • AMD A8 APU (Radeon HD 8510G) for GPU. Catlyst Driver 15.7.1
  • AMD APU audio over HDMI
  • System only utilized for Kodi

Kodi Configuration
  • Each library has a local source exclusively. Either the SSD or a USB 3 external HDD.
  • TV source is a HDHomerunDual connected directly via ethernet.
  • Skin is reFocus
  • PVR plugin is ServerWMC, pretty much everything else from the standard repo.

Media Played
  • Windows Media Center recorded video from ServerWMC
  • MP4 AVIs
  • MP4 MKVs

Log file
I'm not seeing any errors related to this when fast forwarded. The only errors I can find are related to getting into the player before the PVR add-in finished scanning and adding chanel data.
http://goo.gl/nIIcPS

Detailed description
When watching a video, Fast Forward will freeze after a few seconds if you are past 8x FF. At 16x FF, you might get 2-3 seconds before it freezes. At 32x FF, it freezes almost instantly, or within 1 second. This occurs regardless of content source or type. Local, network hosted, or streaming.

This did not occur before I upgraded to Kodi 14 and newer. When I was still on XMBC 12, 32x worked fine.
Bless the Kodi devs. I can confirm that this has been solved using a portable version of Jarvis RC1, even with my existing userdata contents/config dumped in (other than refocus freezing at launch, which I disabled).
Ok...now that 16.0 is out, this bug is back. RC1 it worked fine. but the full release it's got the same problem? I /can/ fast forward 16x, but it still freezes after a few seconds with 32x.
why FF dont you use skip modes? just wondering?
(2016-03-01, 03:30)Derek Wrote: [ -> ]why FF dont you use skip modes? just wondering?
There are lots of people that use ffwd and rwd just like any ordinary player.
One of the reasons to use it is that it's more accurate if it works correctly, for instance when editing material. You need an exact point in the stream, not a 'just about' wild guess...

It's funny, i find it just as surprising that this is often not understood as the devs (and others) find it weird that people actually use this. Remember the first release of Isengard? Ffwd and rwd were killed when skip steps were introduced. Glad they put it back in (sort of) because it's a very basic functionality that literally any other player can handle perfectly
I guess its an opinion thing i find it useless and annoying i.e. if i have to FF within SKY it does my nut in when i could have skipped 3 mins with 1 click.

BUT

I do get where your coming from and its a basic function that should in theory work.
I hate to bump, but has anyone got any ideas on this?
same problem here... I can go to 16x or 32x for a few seconds and then it will hang until I hit play. Win 10 to Win 7 DVR-MS files or to my Ubuntu SMB share. Wired 1Gb network
Hi,

I had exactly the same issue and found that if I turned OFF video hardware acceleration (Settings\Video\Acceleration) I could then fast forward at 32X with no issue.

Not sure why this is causing the issue, but at least I can fast forward again.
Hmm, i'm having the same issue playing back recorded TV from a TVHeadend backend stored on a Synology NAS.

It seems to be fine until it hits the buffered part of the video then the FF freezes and the time starts to jump around. The video will not start playing again until i stop the video and restart it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Gareth
(2016-03-17, 01:33)Silver-Streak Wrote: [ -> ]I hate to bump, but has anyone got any ideas on this?
I don't seem to have issues (even with h265) but I did note that unlike 'other devices' the FF is not playing at 32x speeds, I doubt any gfx card could keep up with that in real time, so there's a selective frame skip and at 2x FF Kodi has the appearance of going twice as fast, but once you get into large multipliers you get that jerky feeling, but it does take me forward or back (all my files are local) although I could see how the cache or networking might get in the way of reverse and is more sluggish. Looking over the wiki http://kodi.wiki/view/Kodi_v15_(Isengard...not_smooth and it's clear that hardware acceleration routines have issue with this kind of flow. Using a mouse I can jump around pretty efficiently, the scroll wheel by default is set-up to move ahead or back a little bit at a time, and if the travel bar is in focus, the mouse makes large jumps. All of this may not make for frame by frame editing, but then Kodi isn't a dedicated editing suite. I have noticed that the smoothness of FF seems to be in direct proportion with the speed of how your system handles graphics.

It has been noted that windows systems number the majority of complaints, and development machines are primarily Linux oriented. This is not a cop-out, just the facts. Kodi is a work in progress, and the future may hold solutions for those with patience.