Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: KODI to repleace Verizon cable service
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I am new to steaming medias and KODI. My main objective is to discontinue my cable service (Verizon FIOS), I don't watch a lot of TV and is mainly interested in certain channels (Discovery, History, hgtv, Nat Geo Wild, Animal planet. etc). I have download KODI and found that although I can get some programming such as HGTV, but I am not used to the format in which I can select the programs from a menu. Is it possible to watch HGTV or other cable channels just like Verizon FiOS cable, including the commercial. etc.
Kodi itself doesn't provide any media (it's a player, designed for playing your own local media primarily). But there are legitimate paid-service streaming add-ons such as USTVNow which may provide some of what you are looking for. Have a look in the video add-on section of the repo (and on this forum) to see what is available.

The other way to get it is to use a IPTV/PVR box such as HDHomerun, TVHeadEnd or similar. Again there are a number of different hardware options available which may or may not fit the bill for what you are looking for. They act as the source back-end, and Kodi can then take the streams from them across your local network to display them on your TV or whatever. Have a look in the PVR & Live TV support section here for some guidance as to what is on offer.

Also have a look in the wiki, for example at Live TV (wiki) and PVR (wiki) for some more information.