Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: We're cancelling cable, but still want to record Satellite TV, and use Netflix.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello! Because of Comcast's recent Internet caps, we're looking into cancelling cable and getting a Satellite antenna for a few local channels.

We will be paying $30 a month for unlimited Internet through Comcast. The only thing we'll be cancelling is Cable. I am aware Satellite won't get us many channels but it's better than none.

We have currently converted an old PC into a Media Center, but the WiFi speeds are dreadfully slow and Ethernet is out of the option. It can handle Kodi pretty well, but it can't stream smoothly.

These are the requirements we want most:
  • Netflix, Amazon Prime TV, YouTube, and other online services, like ESPN
  • The ability to record TV feeds from a {edit} OTA antenna
  • A lot of storage for those recordings
  • Great specs. We don't want any choppiness or lag.
  • Very fast WiFi speeds. I've heard WeTeks have slow transfer speeds, and our current setup does too.
  • At minimum, 720P output resolution and good sound quality

Because of the requirement for Netflix, it sounds like OpenElec or Linux boxes are out of the question. I want streaming services smoothly integrated with the OS if possible. (Windows 8 or Android Netflix app.)

Android boxes, like Shield, sound like the best bet for all-in-one power, but we can't record Satellite with those, and they're rather expensive. The speed of the Shield is what we want, though.

Windows boxes seem like a hassle. Windows has pretty long boot times and I don't think Kodi wouldn't be smoothly integrated.

What hardware do you recommend? Going to set the budget to $200. We don't want to go over this, but because of how much we'll save cancelling cable, we might be willing to go over if it's really worth it in the long run.

Thank you for your assistance, I'm new to Kodi and I don't know much about Satellite connections Smile
Windows boots in 6-7 seconds on an SSD , long boot times are an issue only on mechanical hardrives, since those are slower than my (dead) grandfather anyway Smile) . And, you can just use Sleep mode to start up the machine in 1 second Smile

The issue, i don`t think you will find a solution that fits every criteria , except the Wetek Core , aside from the WiFi speeds. Kodi can be nicely integrated into Windows without ever seeing the desktop, but the issue is the rest. Netflix has an app for Windows 10, for Amazon Prime TV you`ll need to use a browser (Youtube has an addon for Kodi, no issue there). Same situation on Linux (other Linux distros that are not OpenELEC i mean, like Ubuntu), except you`ll need a browser for Netflix too.

The only platform that has these streaming services nicely integrated is Android. You might need to look at a separate OpenELEC box for Kodi, and a cheap Amazon FireTV Stick for Netlix and the rest.
I'm a little confused on your plans here.... You say you'll be saving $200 cancelling cable. but is that per year or per month? If that's per year, scratch the whole thought, it wouldn't be worth the headache.

If your savings are $200 per month... bump up your budget, since you'll cover your expenses within a couple of months,

Will your internet still be through Comcast? You will probably be relying a bit more on online services (Netflix, Prime, etc...) for your viewing... which is going to cause you to get to your data caps quicker.

There are services such as SlingTV (from Dish Network), which will give you live TV channels through your internet connection... including ESPN... however it costs $20 a month (There goes your savings if per year), plus once again gets you into Data Cap issues.
I'm saying that the budget is $200 for the set top box. We'll save about $100 a month cancelling cable.

We will be paying $30 a month for unlimited internet through Comcast, saving $70 a month.

All I'm looking for is a box that meets my requirements Smile
Well for a start rethink wifi, run that cable.

Kodi does not record broadcast TV, you need a backend, see PVR (wiki).

Don't know why you think netflix doesn't work on linux.
(2016-01-07, 19:29)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Don't know why you think netflix doesn't work on linux.

I'm fully aware Netflix works on Linux, but as I said I want it to be smoothly integrated into the OS. Going into Chrome to watch it isn't smooth. I am also aware of PVR though I have no experience using it.

I'm not looking for advice or criticism. I just want HARDWARE recommendations.
(2016-01-07, 19:36)ajthemacboy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-07, 19:29)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Don't know why you think netflix doesn't work on linux.

I'm fully aware Netflix works on Linux, but as I said I want it to be smoothly integrated into the OS. Going into Chrome to watch it isn't smooth. I am also aware of PVR though I have no experience using it.

I'm not looking for advice or criticism. I just want HARDWARE recommendations.

Well that`s the issue, there is no single box solution that fits all your requirements. Best bet is a dual box solution, a a Chromebox + OpenELEC for Kodi usage , and some cheaper Android box, like the FireTV Stick, for streaming via Netflix. This should cover all your requirements
Bump up the budget a bit (probably not a huge amount)... you'll be happier in the long run.

Here is what I would do:

SiliconDust HDHomerun ($129 or $169 depending on model) - In order to receive anything OTA, you need a tuner. This will connect to the antenna, and preferably with an ethernet cable into router or switch on your network. This is the device that will translate the Over The Air signal into something you can view.

Re-purpose the old PC as a PVR (depending on it's specs of course).. I recommend MythTV... it can be a bitch to setup, but once it's running it's rock solid. I would also connect this to the router or switch.

Now that you have your backend and tuner are wired, you should not have to worry about quality issues with the recordings (except signal interference of course). Playback of LiveTV and recordings could be done wireless with any Kodi capable device, such as the Shield, FireTV, etc... Some devices handle things such as interlacing a bit better than others, so you may want to do a little research in the forums before jumping into one.
Considering you will recoup your monthly fee's in very little time I would up your budget for hardware a few hundred dollars.

I would also suggest you check out antennaweb.org as well as tvfool.com and look into getting yourself an hdhomerun.

you can post your tvfoolcom report to https://www.reddit.com/domain/tvfool.com/ or /r/cordcutters and they can make a suggestion as to which OTA antenna to buy for best results.

if you are satisfied with that you can get yourself the silicondust pvr package $25/yr once released and $60 for early package https://www.silicondust.com/shop/

their software can record to a qnap/synology/ or westerndigital (i believe) my book.

you can control all of this directly within kodi.

if you want to take the recording one step further snag mcebuddy $15 to scan and remove commercials from your recordings.
A modern plugin USB WIFI adapter may fix the slow speed for the old PC, assuming your Router can handle faster WIFI speeds. You would need to find out what your Router is capable of handling.

Ethernet: Use Powerline Network adapters, one unit close to and plugged into the Router, another unit close to the PC connected by Ethernet cable, they communicate over the house power wiring. I have used both AV600 (ZyXEL) and very recently AV1200 (TP-Link) units where WIFI from the Router was out of range (or too slow due to distance)

You mentioned recording via Satellite for a few local channels, this is going to need
- Satellite dish (mounted outside in-line of sight to the Satellite) plus cabling to the PC.
- one or more Satellite Tuners to go in the PC
- some recording software to run on the PC
- possibly extra disk drive in the PC for storing the recordings.

It would help if you tell us the specification of the PC you are using.
(2016-01-07, 19:36)ajthemacboy Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not looking for advice or criticism. I just want HARDWARE recommendations.

Not to be a jerk about this but $30/mo for Comcast internet is very hard to believe. Maybe this is your introductory pricing. I would check the fine print on your deal - because I had a similar deal with them for $34.99/mo but that was for the first 12 months - then it went up to $49.99 - then after 24 months it is $69.95/mo.

Once you unbundle they really start to screw you......

As for hardware - I second the HdHomeRun tuner suggestions - I use both the EXTEND and the CONNECT and both are excellent. The main advantage is that they are network tuners so you can access them from any client. Kodi even has a new PVR plugin (Jarvis) for the HdHomeRun that works great.
If you're in the US and not one of the few FTA satellite viewers - then recording satellite officially is painful. Probably the only solution is to get some form of HDMI or Component Analogue (if your STB supports it) recorder and an IR blaster. Integrating that is likely to be painful.

If you are FTA then you're in the same boat as those of us in Europe who have myriad choices for reception solutions and back-ends.
Another thing to keep in mind:

(2016-01-07, 18:47)ajthemacboy Wrote: [ -> ][*]A lot of storage for those recordings

HD Recordings can be very large... sometimes in the 7-8 Gb per hour range.
I'm going to take a wild guess and assume the OP meant 'OTA with Antenna' and not actually 'Satellite'.
(2016-01-07, 20:27)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]If you're in the US and not one of the few FTA satellite viewers - then recording satellite officially is painful. Probably the only solution is to get some form of HDMI or Component Analogue (if your STB supports it) recorder and an IR blaster. Integrating that is likely to be painful.

If you are FTA then you're in the same boat as those of us in Europe who have myriad choices for reception solutions and back-ends.

I think he is using the wrong terminology... I think he's looking to pull OTA from an antenna.
Pages: 1 2 3