Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Moved to the Actual MINIX U1 thread this conversation, over here:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2225962
(2016-01-26, 06:50)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]To put the S905's into some sort of context compared to what WeTek are offering in the Core:

S905's additional features over the S812-H (WeTek Core)

- Partial HD Audio Passthrough support.
- The Core will do 7.1 HD Audio decoding to output lossless Multichannel PCM Audio with next Firmware update.
- 4K video output at up to 60Hz
- 10-bit 4K HEVC Hardware decode problems in all current S905 hardware see HERE
- 10 bit video decoding (No Hi10P Anime decoding Support though)
- No 10-bit video output due to lack of video player software support, inc Kodi. It is 8-bit only.
- No Widevine Level 1 approval, including Netflix. So Max 480p Resolution for paid DRM video streaming.
- WeTek are the only guys on S8xx / S9xx Hardware that will have all the necessary approvals, now and into the future.

10 bit hevc is playing ok, theres no issues with that, that link you posted refers to 2 specific video clips, one is a logo ? and the other is a video that doesn't play right on anything or in any player?.. if you have dvb sat feeds for some EU sat broadcasts, a different setup might be a good idea, most every other HEVC video i have is playing OK.

No Hi10p support? that isnt really a feature either and no one but anime people would care.. and iirc like almost nothing decodes hi10p does it?

does widevine level 1 get you UHD netflix? cause 1080p netflix isnt all that exciting of a feature on a UHD geared SOC.

Do you work for Wetek? i mean to make statements like they are the only people with approvals now and into the future is saying alot for just some regular user without knowing that for sure.
Will use post #1 as a place to track progress for as many S905 boxes as possible.
(2016-01-26, 15:26)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-26, 06:50)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]To put the S905's into some sort of context compared to what WeTek are offering in the Core:

S905's additional features over the S812-H (WeTek Core)

- Partial HD Audio Passthrough support.
- The Core will do 7.1 HD Audio decoding to output lossless Multichannel PCM Audio with next Firmware update.
- 4K video output at up to 60Hz
- 10-bit 4K HEVC Hardware decode problems in all current S905 hardware see HERE
- 10 bit video decoding (No Hi10P Anime decoding Support though)
- No 10-bit video output due to lack of video player software support, inc Kodi. It is 8-bit only.
- No Widevine Level 1 approval, including Netflix. So Max 480p Resolution for paid DRM video streaming.
- WeTek are the only guys on S8xx / S9xx Hardware that will have all the necessary approvals, now and into the future.
No Hi10p support? that isnt really a feature either and no one but anime people would care.. and iirc like almost nothing decodes hi10p does it?
This is to avoid confusion between 10-bit video decoding and Hi10p h264 video decoding. Not everyone realises they these are different. For Hi10p 1080p decoding currently you need to Software decode using an i series Intel box.

Quote:does widevine level 1 get you UHD netflix? cause 1080p netflix isnt all that exciting of a feature on a UHD geared SOC.
480p Netflix is not very exciting in the slightest on a UHD geared SoC Wink
You also need HDCP 2.2 compliant devices for 4K DRM content delivery. None of the current S905's have the required keys for that delivery of that content either.
http://www.cnet.com/au/news/hdcp-2-2-wha...d-to-know/
Quote:Do you work for Wetek? i mean to make statements like they are the only people with approvals now and into the future is saying alot for just some regular user without knowing that for sure.
No, but making an educated observation that in Piracy Rampant Asia. Companies pumping out Android Boxes will not even get a sideways glance for Widevine Level 1 or Netflix Approval.

Netflix (and others) depend on Hollywood for content, do you think for one minute they are going to risk their entire business model just to please an small Asian Android Box manufacturer ?
This is called Risk assesment and likely very Specific requirements written into contracts with the content providers themselves.
(2016-01-26, 16:17)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]No, but making an educated observation that in Piracy Rampant Asia. Companies pumping out Android Boxes will not even get a sideways glance for Widevine Level 1 or Netflix Approval.

Netflix (and others) depend on Hollywood for content, do you think for one minute they are going to risk their entire business model just to please an small Asian Android Box manufacturer ?
This is called Risk assesment and likely very Specific requirements written into contracts with the content providers themselves.

ya that makes sense, i saw on freaktab some s905 roms have widevine LV 2 ,not sure what that gets you but there's no such thing for the mini mx, and im also not saying this box is all that good either, i uninstalled kodi and most of the other stuff that came with android and reinstalled some of the latest KODI builds but i cant even find one that has working HW decoding now, kind of a joke, lol, probably a permissions thing? i dunno, with Kerbers Openelec the box is kind of usable when locking a refresh rate in,(once they figure out all this 64 bit kernel stuff im sure frame rate automation will come soon enough) its playing 4k stuff pretty good, and 3D iso in Top and Bottom, which isnt good enough imo but its alot better than where we were a month ago with 3D iso playback. i only have a 5.1 stereo setup so cant comment on HD audio formats, other than dts-ma decodes to 5.1 dts and that works good enough for me currently, also this is the first device that makes use of my TV's UHD HDMI DEEP COLOR mode, not sure what that is or what it does but probably something to do with hdmi 2.0 if i had to guess.
(2016-01-26, 16:57)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]also this is the first device that makes use of my TV's UHD HDMI DEEP COLOR mode, not sure what that is or what it does but probably something to do with hdmi 2.0 if i had to guess.
UHD deep color is for 4K 50/60Hz 8-bit 4:4:4 or 12-bit 4:2:2. S905 only does 4:2:0 for 4K 50/60Hz. So, you are not going to see any benefit by turning on UHD deep color mode.
(2016-01-26, 19:28)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-26, 16:57)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]also this is the first device that makes use of my TV's UHD HDMI DEEP COLOR mode, not sure what that is or what it does but probably something to do with hdmi 2.0 if i had to guess.
UHD deep color is for 4K 50/60Hz 8-bit 4:4:4 or 12-bit 4:2:2. S905 only does 4:2:0 for 4K 50/60Hz. So, you are not going to see any benefit by turning on UHD deep color mode.

i didnt think so but any device i've plugged into the tv so far shows up with HDMI mismatch, please disable UHD DCM but with this device it stays enabled, probably only because its hdmi 2.0 .

To keep this somewhat updated about the mini mx, Openelec is just too buggy to run for now, i think were waiting on sdk improvements or tweaks from Amlogic or Kerber, or Codesnake or someone ;-) but under android i have been playing with the box and managed to figure out the hardware decoding stuff, in order to use the hw decoder amcodec you need to have mediacodec(surface) enabled, basically leave all 3 decoder options checked on. am-264 and am-265 is what you get like that, with that said, 4K resolutions are OK but there are playback issues with certain 2160p h264 and some h265 stuff, i get audio only and black screen. Ive tested kodi 16B3 16RC1 and 0127 Nightly, same issue with all versions, SuperSu from the playstore roots the box with no issues, i tried WRXtasy amlogic init.d script which works but doesnt work to adjust refresh rates.
(2016-01-28, 16:14)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-26, 19:28)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]

i didnt think so but any device i've plugged into the tv so far shows up with HDMI mismatch, please disable UHD DCM but with this device it stays enabled, probably only because its hdmi 2.0 .

To keep this somewhat updated about the mini mx, Openelec is just too buggy to run for now, i think were waiting on sdk improvements or tweaks from Amlogic or Kerber, or Codesnake or someone ;-) but under android i have been playing with the box and managed to figure out the hardware decoding stuff, in order to use the hw decoder amcodec you need to have mediacodec(surface) enabled, basically leave all 3 decoder options checked on. am-264 and am-265 is what you get like that, with that said, 4K resolutions are OK but there are playback issues with certain 2160p h264 and some h265 stuff, i get audio only and black screen. Ive tested kodi 16B3 16RC1 and 0127 Nightly, same issue with all versions, SuperSu from the playstore roots the box with no issues, i tried WRXtasy amlogic init.d script which works but doesnt work to adjust refresh rates.
On Android which build / version were you using?

And also for audio when you use pass through did you have any audio drop outs?
(2016-01-28, 16:23)johoja Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-28, 16:14)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-26, 19:28)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]UHD deep color is for 4K 50/60Hz 8-bit 4:4:4 or 12-bit 4:2:2. S905 only does 4:2:0 for 4K 50/60Hz. So, you are not going to see any benefit by turning on UHD deep color mode.

104L and yesterdays Kodi 17 nightly.

also for me DD 5.1 passes fine and in sync, DTS doesnt at all.

Working fix for now, enable DD transcoding and disable DTS passthru.. this made DTS 5.1 and DTS-HD 7.1 pass as DD 5.1 to my amp.

and to keep this going with another post edit:

setting 4k smpte instead of 4k@60 in the android settings seems to have fixed up my playback issues, everything 4k is playing back ok now.
(2016-01-28, 16:33)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-28, 16:23)johoja Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-28, 16:14)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]i didnt think so but any device i've plugged into the tv so far shows up with HDMI mismatch, please disable UHD DCM but with this device it stays enabled, probably only because its hdmi 2.0 .

Working fix for now, enable DD transcoding and disable DTS passthru.. this made DTS 5.1 and DTS-HD 7.1 pass as DD 5.1 to my amp.

setting 4k smpte instead of 4k@60 in the android settings seems to have fixed up my playback issues, everything 4k is playing back ok now.

Very strange - i've tried DD 5.1 with 104L and I was getting audio dropouts every 10 seconds or so for. I will try with Kodi 17 nightly and see if it is still the case.
(2016-01-28, 17:11)johoja Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-28, 16:33)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-28, 16:23)johoja Wrote: [ -> ]On Android which build / version were you using?

Very strange - i've tried DD 5.1 with 104L and I was getting audio dropouts every 10 seconds or so for. I will try with Kodi 17 nightly and see if it is still the case.

dropouts as in loss of audio? or glitches?

i definitely hear glitches and stuff while playing anything 5.1, i thought it had to do with the frame rate correcting or something.

4k playback works best with passthrough off, anything with a DD or DTS track thats 2160p results in studdering and slow playback with passthrough enabled, same content without passthrough enabled plays fine.
Unless I'm not gauging dev progress properly, the Android side on S905 isn't looking encouraging for HD audio or 3D. Seems only Minix has managed TrueHD 5.1/7.1 passthru on U1, with DTS-MA still in the works.

On OpenELEC side, last update from Alex @ Amlinuxmedia forum simply states "new box, new CPU, new SDK, need more time to fix".
(2016-01-28, 18:08)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Unless I'm not gauging dev progress properly, the Android side on S905 isn't looking encouraging for HD audio or 3D. Seems only Minix has managed TrueHD 5.1/7.1 passthru on U1, with DTS-MA still in the works.

On OpenELEC side, last update from Alex @ Amlinuxmedia forum simply states "new box, new CPU, new SDK, need more time to fix".

On the openelec side - alex seems to have gotten everything to work except DTS-MA ( only core DTS is passed though) but, TrueHD worked in my testing with his latest build.
(2016-01-28, 17:46)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]dropouts as in loss of audio? or glitches?

i definitely hear glitches and stuff while playing anything 5.1, i thought it had to do with the frame rate correcting or something.

4k playback works best with passthrough off, anything with a DD or DTS track thats 2160p results in studdering and slow playback with passthrough enabled, same content without passthrough enabled plays fine.

Loss of audio for a second every 10-30 seconds ( varies ) when using passthrough on android -- does not happen on openelec.
(2016-01-28, 18:21)johoja Wrote: [ -> ]On the openelec side - alex seems to have gotten everything to work except DTS-MA ( only core DTS is passed though) but, TrueHD worked in my testing with his latest build.
From my testing as well, but at cost of following so far as noted in post #1:
- DTS-MA 5.1/7.1 output to core DTS works, but must disable 'Adjust display refresh rate to match video'
- Due to lack of refresh rate match (for DTS &/or 23.976 videos to not cause Kodi to blank out), all videos output at 60Hz (or whatever Kodi UI is set to)
- So, framerate issues: skips, judders, etc. noticeable

Alex is obviously working on it, so wish him success.