Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2016-05-30, 02:26)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, updated post #1.

Are these working now?
- DD+ 5.1/7.1
- LPCM 5.1/7.1
- 23.976 support w/HD audio passthru enabled

Frame rate and resolution change automation all work so I keep kodi at 1080p and it switches refresh rates automatically now.
That is good progress.
NEXBOX MXQ Pro (26$)

I think this is atm the cheapest S905 box you can find.

I have it for 3 weeks and works good for me.
Tbh I don't have high demands but I played couple of 4k movies and everything was just fine.

Only bad thing I could find that it comes with preloaded Kodi so you must uninstall it and install clean version from Play Store.

26$ is a current flash sale price on GearBest (LINK) and I don't know for how long will it last but I think that normal price is around 30$.
(2016-06-13, 15:57)bobrooney Wrote: [ -> ]NEXBOX MXQ Pro (26$)

Tbh I don't have high demands but I played couple of 4k movies and everything was just fine.

Only bad thing I could find that it comes with preloaded Kodi so you must uninstall it and install clean version from Play Store.

26$ is a current flash sale price on GearBest (LINK) and I don't know for how long will it last but I think that normal price is around 30$.

if you dont need android, there are Openelec/LibreElec builds for that device i think that will work much better, its always an option, amlinuxmedia.com
Added to post #1.
(2016-06-13, 15:57)bobrooney Wrote: [ -> ]NEXBOX MXQ Pro (26$)

I had one for about 3 weeks before I ordered a Shield, now the MXQ Pro is a paperweight on my desk until I find another use for it.
I didn't know when the WeTek hub was going to come out so I bought one of the Beelink Mini MX (1GB RAM version) for $32 shipped and put Alex's OpenELEC build 6.95.3.2 on it straight away. It is really quite great and meets my needs perfectly.
  • Refresh rate switching works
  • Passthrough AC3, DTS, DTS-MA, Atmos is perfect
  • VSYNC looks good, no tearing
  • 4K 24FPS plays as easily as 1080p/720p
  • NFS share source with 4K content over gigabit ethernet is quick
  • IR remote works just fine to control, power up, power down.
  • Boots to kodi in something like 10 seconds, UI is as snappy as the dedicated PC it is replacing, even with hundreds of movies in the library.

Bad
  • Wifi 2.4GHz is garbage, 4K content stops and starts constantly, 1080p has occasional stutters
  • No built in bluetooth support, but can add external dongle (I don't use any bluetooth so this is fine)
  • 1080p 3D SBS plays entirely on left side of the screen when output resolution set to 4K, works fine in 1080p output resolution. (I have exactly one 3D movie so this doesn't bother me)

I haven't had any crashes or lockups in the past two weeks and have played a dozen or so movies on it, and a lot of test material. I run the Confluence skin and don't use any addons apart from the media scrapers though. I will probably get the WeTek once it is available now that I have seen how perfect this can be, but an S905 is slated to replace my i3-3225 media PC currently (which couldn't output 4K so bye-bye). Over the 10 years I've used XBMC/Kodi (and even done some development!) this is the first time that I've felt one of these streaming boxes has had the performance I've come to expect from my PC build. I still need to upload a more complete remote definition but that's trivial.

Thanks to everyone involved in the development, hardware and software-wise.
Yeah these boxes are not all that bad, they lack software support but if a few devs work together it can be a great device. I have a MXQ Pro 4K and just finished compiling my own build with CEC wifi and DTS-MA etc. The device works great, it does freeze when you use the Thumbnail view and scroll really fast which is easy enough to fix by scrolling slower or using a different view. The reason the MXQ is not a good choice is because of the many different motherboards and wifi chipsets.

I ordered the MiniMX 2GB and hope it is good enough to replace my aging Pi2, hopefully alex still continues to develop on the MiniMX. I'm still trying to understand how it all works and will try to suppport it if alex cannot.
Does have problem this Beelink Mini MX with 23.976 files?
(2016-06-30, 22:10)Dru79 Wrote: [ -> ]Does have problem this Beelink Mini MX with 23.976 files?
I'd like to know as well. When I last tested, granted some months ago now, all videos were being rendered in whatever the Kodi UI was at (like 1080p/60). Looks like 24.000 is at least supported now, but 23.976 not properly yet?

@dukester should know... he did mention few posts back that "Frame rate and resolution change automation all work"... so, I assume this includes 23.976.
Easy to see with motionbar test video https://www.sendspace.com/file/4z7nmh
I believe this has been fixed in Alex's builds I can test on my mxq which includes Alex's fixes
(2016-06-30, 22:21)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-06-30, 22:10)Dru79 Wrote: [ -> ]Does have problem this Beelink Mini MX with 23.976 files?
I'd like to know as well. When I last tested, granted some months ago now, all videos were being rendered in whatever the Kodi UI was at (like 1080p/60). Looks like 24.000 is at least supported now, but 23.976 not properly yet?

@dukester should know... he did mention few posts back that "Frame rate and resolution change automation all work"... so, I assume this includes 23.976.

yes, there are no issues with automatic or manual refresh rate switching, including 23.976, i think something was tweaked even futher in the latest build to "improve" video clock sync even further.

23hz adjustment on Github
Is it good opponent of Wetek Core?
(2016-07-01, 08:37)Dru79 Wrote: [ -> ]Is it good opponent of Wetek Core?

A WeTek Hub would be a better comparison.