Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2016-01-09, 02:06)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-09, 00:51)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Do we know what the Vidon.Me solution actually outputs? 1, 2 or 3?
It is 2. While full SBS is defined in HDMI specs, full TAB is not (to the best of my knowledge). So far, it has only worked with output from graphics card. I will probably have to research on this.

Yes - I realise I misread the spec. There is an FSBS extension, but there isn't a FTAB. The 'double height' non-frame packed vertical option is based on alternating lines not complete frames. These are all appendices to the specs and optional, along with other esoteric standards like 2D+Depth over HDMI.

Details of the other oddball extensions - which were preliminary (and may not have been ratified?) : http://etmriwi.home.xs4all.nl/forum/hdmi...action.pdf Appendix H.
(2016-01-09, 03:28)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-09, 02:06)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]It is 2. While full SBS is defined in HDMI specs, full TAB is not (to the best of my knowledge).

I'm pretty sure only framepacking is an hdmi standard.
(h)sbs and (h)tab is nothing special hdmi-wise. Whether they're handled purely depends on the TV software (and optionally the box to tell the TV what kind of 3d is sent).

In the PDF linked in my post above, there is an approved way of flagging HSBS/FSBS and HTAB within the 3D spec (which I suppose makes the HSBS/HTAB 2D signals "3D"). There is optional support for FSBS (alongside line sequential, field sequential and other 3D stuff) as well (assuming the spec is correct) Appendix H has the oddball stuff.

According to the spec you flag 3D present in the HDMI Format bit of the VSIF, and then in the 3D_Structure field you can flag :

0000 Frame Packing
0110 Top and Bottom (which is HTAB)
1000 Side-by-Side Half (which is HSBS)

In Appendix H
0011 Side-by-Side Full is defined.

If this is done 3D compatible TVs will automatically switch into the correct modes I believe - even though HTAB and HSBS are standard 2D video resolutions (1920x1080 or 1280x720)
(2016-01-09, 13:57)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]In Appendix H

I stand corrected.
(2016-01-09, 14:24)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-09, 13:57)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]In Appendix H

I stand corrected.

That was a provisional standard and an option in an appendix though - no idea of the source of that .pdf.

I hadn't realised that there was an interlaced frame packing option either - so in theory you could use 720/50p or 60p frame packed OR 1080/50i or 60i frame packed to get 50/60Hz motion without having to use HSBS or HTAB. I had thought it was only 720/50p or 60p that included a frame packed option at 50/60Hz. Wasn't sure if the Blu-ray standard included it though.
One thing I forgot to mention (added to post #1 now) is VidOn XBMC pre-buffers most videos. When playback is started, video is paused for like 2-4 seconds, showing "buffering", then playback happens. Haven't had time to watch a movie at length to verify no video/audio stutters.
I've got the beelink, I've found it pretty good as a upgrade to my RPi2, no HD audio but it's putting out dd and DTS just fine. It was also able to play back 1080p 10bit HEVC with 5.1 flac audio and transcoded that to dd. I don't have any 4k content to play with.

Only problem I've had with it is that after stopping videos in kodi and starting a different one a couple of times, video playback will be choppy till you restart the box.

Kodi interface runs pretty well but chrome is really slow. I expected it to be at least as good as on my galaxy note 2 but it wasn't.

I'll get a newer better received box in 6 months though once I've be read some reviews that the kinks in the s905 are ironed out or boxes based on s912 are available. I don't know who it was but someone on this forum gave the advice of getting a Android box for right now and getting a future proof one in the future. For the $60 AUD it cost me, this is the box I need right now.
You're right about standard DD & DTS (added this to my review)... they pass fine. But, this box is mostly crap IMHO at this stage (slo-mo/choppy video playback in Kodi, processed look to PQ, crashing). I don't have a better S905 box to test with yet, but expecting a Minix U1 for review at some point (they've been slow to send me a sample unit).
I have Beelink.
Here are some misunderstanding.
With android and factory video player it can passthrough dolby-hd
With openelec it can play fine 160mbs jellyfish without buffering.
With openelec can play dolby hd passthrough too.
Is there new firmware 104L, I think worth to test again, because this is good player, just everything still alpha-beta phase.
It can play every uhd hevc (10 bit) files too!!
No other player can do this.
With openelec only small problem have I (but keep in mind it is early developer alpha version)
With switch TV fps to movie's fps 23.976,and 59.98 fps movies switch off the hdmi output.
It need small fix, and the cec.
Good to know, thanks. Out for a week-long business trip, so will re-test when I'm back.

Quote:With switch TV fps to movie's fps 23.976,and 59.98 fps movies switch off the hdmi output.
Switch off HDMI in order to get 23.976? Huh?
Early alpha developer version the OE version for mini mx.
Native no one amlogic device can support 23.976, only with patch.
On RPI you can change the display fps to 23.976 at kodi menu.
You can set 23.97,24,25,29.97,30,50,59.98,60
At amlogic devices (wetek core,wetek play, s802,805,812,905) just 24,50,60
You can Spoof 23.97,24,25,29.97,30,50,59.94,60 Hz refresh rates on AMLogic devices to fool Kodi if you want but its pointless.

With a proper modified Linux Kernel, all AMLogic devices can output the fractional refresh rates by manipulating the HDMI clocks when displaying 23.976fps (24/1.001) content, when say Kodi autoswitches a TV into its 24p movie mode.

AMLogic call this HDMI clock manipulation - Frame Rate Automation.

The AML devices that I know of that do nicely synced 23.976 / 29.97 / 59.94fps video output using this method are the WeTek Core and the ODROID C1+ and MINIX S8xx gear.

You end up with the same nicely synced video output as you would on a RPi2.

Trust your eyes and use them. If you see a video frame glitch approx. every 40 seconds or so when Outputting 23.976fps video at 24Hz then the AMLogic gear you are using has an Inferior non modified Linux Kernel.
(2016-01-10, 17:55)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]You can Spoof 23.97,24,25,29.97,30,50,59.94,60 Hz refresh rates on AMLogic devices to fool Kodi if you want but its pointless.

With a proper modified Linux Kernel, all AMLogic devices can output the fractional refresh rates by manipulating the HDMI clocks when displaying 23.976fps (24/1.001) content, when say Kodi autoswitches a TV into its 24p movie mode.

AMLogic call this HDMI clock manipulation - Frame Rate Automation.

The AML devices that I know of that do nicely synced 23.976 / 29.97 / 59.94fps video output using this method are the WeTek Core and the ODROID C1+ and MINIX S8xx gear.

You end up with the same nicely synced video output as you would on a RPi2.

Trust your eyes and use them. If you see a video frame glitch approx. every 40 seconds or so when Outputting 23.976fps video at 24Hz then the AMLogic gear you are using has an Inferior non modified Linux Kernel.

your forgetting about all the other s8xx devices that codesnake and Kerber compile Openelec for, they all use the fixed kernels and most up to date amlogic stuff and all do proper 23.97 refresh switching (except the s905 mini mx because its only on build number #3 total so far.. barely a working copy. give it some time and itll be good to go also)

if im not mistaken the s905 device is the only one around currently that can do 4k hevc 10bit hw decoding at the moment and the fact its working is pretty sweet.
Ah yes I forgot about the other AML stuff Codesnake does. They will definitely have the patched Kernels, such as these:
https://github.com/codesnake/OpenELEC.tv...ic/devices

dukestar and envagyok, does Refresh rate switching work on the S905 Firmware you currently have ?
I also have a S905 (K1+) development board its pretty much the same as a MINIX U1.
(2016-01-10, 18:58)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Ah yes I forgot about the other AML stuff Codesnake does. They will definitely have the patched Kernels, such as these:

dukestar and envagyok, does Refresh rate switching work on the S905 Firmware you currently have ?
I also have a S905 (K1+) development board its pretty much the same as a MINIX U1.

Yes refresh rate switch work (with openelec), when I play 24,50,60 fps movie, nicely change the fps.
23.97,29.98,59.94 not played, when I set fps to pass movies fps.
When I turn off autofps function, then play all file, but fixed fps.
I think this fps trick (frame rate automation) need implement to this device (maybe 64 bit the problem)
I think all problem will eliminate soon.
(2016-01-10, 18:58)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Ah yes I forgot about the other AML stuff Codesnake does. They will definitely have the patched Kernels, such as these:

im waiting for one to arrive now, but it sounds like sometimes refresh rate switches are resulting in signal loss on kerbers OE so far.