Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
IMO, they're brands to discourage. Exact linking is not something I would stress a lot about. There are times when it needs to be made clear what is being discussed. At most, maybe making the link not clickable might be warranted, but that's only to prevent them from getting a search result boost from more incoming links, rather than the spirit of the rules.

Avoid links to actual guides and product listings that blatantly advertise pirated services, though.

Just my two cents.
Due to the fact that education of users and light moderation of the Kodi forum has failed completely to prevent the explosion of cheap Android Piracy hardware, I put forward the proposal that ALL cheap as chips Android Hardware should:

a) Be assumed guilty of running common Android Firmware that includes the usual Piracy Facilitation Kodi payloads (such as Kodimate)
b) HTTP Links to ALL such Hardware actually banned from being posted on the Kodi forums.
c) Sellers have to have a proven clean track record, endorsed by the Kodi community before recommendations are made.
d) Only clean Sellers and Brands get posted on Page #1 of this thread.

Yes I know buyers can then go elsewhere for their Piracy fix, but we can at the very least control what is posted here on the forums.
The onus should be on Android sellers to prove they are clean of Piracy, not the Kodi-community to sort through all the bullshit Hardware.

Kodi is now well known for Piracy and its hurting the entire project itself, you don't see an official Kodi thread titled:

The Piracy Box Sellers and Youtube Promoters Are Killing Kodi

without thinking Team-Kodi are pretty concerned as well.

A quote from that very thread:
Quote:Moral of the story. If your going to try to convince the world that your anti piracy, have some integrity about it. Walk the walk. Or find someone who will.
I've actually deleted links to this very thread in the "Pick the Right Kodi Box"

The very fact that Kodi's Official Piracy Policy has not been updated in over 4 years for setting policy in a fast moving tech forum is a stark indication that a complete re-think is needed.

The time for Band-Aid Piracy solutions and touchy feely tinkering at the edges has passed. Firmer action is needed IMHO.
Quote:Due to the fact that education of users and light moderation of the Kodi forum has failed completely to prevent the explosion of cheap Android Piracy hardware

That was never the goal of the forum rules. I think you're confusing the trademark efforts with the forum rules. Which is not saying I disagree with what you're proposing (that is a different matter), but just to make it clear, the forum rules are not meant to educate anyone, stop box makers, or cure cancer. The forum rules have been doing exactly what they were meant to do.
To clarify, the forum rules simply prevent the forum from being an issue when it comes to image issues with the Kodi brand (along with support burden, possible real legal issues, things that are annoying, etc). There's no way for those rules to do anything beyond the forum (and any other site directly under the Kodi project's control, such as the wiki, etc).

For that matter, there really is nothing that can be said here that will have a significant impact on the brand/image/trademark issues on the larger internet. At best, the forum doesn't add to the problem. Maybe there's a bonus in some awareness to part of the community, but that's a somewhat minor bonus.

So like I said, I wouldn't worry about making hardline rules about what box/brand one can even mention. It's ineffective and prevents people from at least saying who should be avoided. Keeping track of who is using clean builds, or an automatic assumption of guilt, is not practical.
(2016-08-13, 09:42)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]So like I said, I wouldn't worry about making hardline rules about what box/brand one can even mention. It's ineffective and prevents people from at least saying who should be avoided. Keeping track of who is using clean builds, or an automatic assumption of guilt, is not practical.
I'm fully aware of goes on out in the Wilds of the Internet. I'm not trying to regulated that. I'm not even asking for discussion to be curbed.
In my opinion ALL these dirt cheap AML Android sellers are guilty straight away because they are all packing common Firmware and common Piracy Apps. Blind Freddy can see that.

All I'm asking for is a ruling to stop Kodi users here on the actual Kodi forum HTTP linking to well Known sellers and brands of known dirt cheap Piracy Boxes.
That is practical, easy to implement step and one that can be moderated.

Free Advertising of these piracy devices is not on IMHO, it does a complete dis-service to those Kodi sellers doing the right thing.
God if thats to much to ask then I will give up now.
Like I said before, I'm totally fine with de-linking. Whether or not it makes a big difference, I do agree that the forum shouldn't be directing people to these bad sellers.

Anyways, this is all just my two cents. I have no access to moderate posts in the hardware forum, nor do I have any decision making power regarding future rule changes.
i bought my 2 s905 boxes from Gearbest for like 25$ each(best kodi devices i've owned too) Its hard to really call them bad sellers or enablers of anything, they are just a retailer. these devices come from the manufactuer with all that addon installing stuff already there, i could see wanting to curb links to people/ebay ads who open the devices and load them up with tons of piracy junk and offer "support" but i thought that sort of stuff was already being moderated here isnt it?
(2016-08-14, 18:08)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]... Its hard to really call them bad sellers or enablers of anything, they are just a retailer. these devices come from the manufactuer with all that addon installing stuff already there...
Its hard to really call Illegal drug dealers - bad sellers or enablers or anything hey, they are just another common street retailer. Its all the drug manufacturers fault for supplying the dodgy product with all the gear packaged up ready to sell ! Wink

What a rediculous statement Dukester. These retailers know exactly what product they are selling !
Pls remove your http links. You along are contributing the Kodi piracy problem until you do.
Gearbest actually goes out of their way to preload pirate video add-ons. They specify what software they want loaded when they place their order from the manufacturer. They are bad sellers. They are the definition of a bad seller.
Can netflix apk can be modify in order to display hd on this china devices or is it better to buy atom based box with windows
(2016-08-15, 15:37)Doktor-X Wrote: [ -> ]Can netflix apk can be modify in order to display hd on this china devices or is it better to buy atom based box with windows

I don't think so DRM support is needed Google Widevine Level 1. Which only a handful of manufacturers and certified devices have. Netfix servers check device capibilities if your device doesn't pass the relevant checks...no HD content...

Wetek have Google Widevine level 1 support I believe, so yuo can get netflix HD on Wetek devices.
For dukester and anyone else thinking its a good idea posting links to Android piracy boxes in any Kodi forum:
(2016-08-15, 22:15)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ](Super Moderator)
OK, having reviewed both box links and discussed it with the team, they are both to "full loaded" boxes (via the multi-addon installer featured in the youtube video embedded in the pages). And so linking to them is not acceptable here (linking to any "fully loaded" box is not allowed, regardless of manufacturer). The links in question have been removed, from both posts.

@bobrooney - can I ask you please not to post links to such boxes again.
(2016-08-15, 23:23)bobrooney Wrote: [ -> ]Ok. So we now have official rule. Good.
You want see me posting such links in the future.
These devices were already proven to be Fully Loaded after:

- hdmkv told you they come pre-loaded with piracy add-ons
- Ned Scott told you Gearbest was the definition of a bad seller and pre-load such boxes
- I actually firstly said please and showed you they were and asked for their removal.

Sorry bobrooney, you don't earn any respect around here when senior members and contributors to the Kodi project first ask you kindly to remove such links and you then flat out refused, making extra work for the moderators and others in the process. You could have just deleted the links and that would have been the end of it.

There already was a policy in place as well if you bothered to read the:
The Piracy Box Sellers and youTube Promotors Are Killing Kodi

Quote:The problem is this: There have been a wave of sellers who decided to make a quick buck modifying Kodi, installing broken piracy add-ons..
Common sense would have told you bobrooney, to remove the links.

I will continue to encourage, cajole and harrass anyone in the future posting similar links to Pirate Boxes.
Its quite clear some users care nothing about reading the forum rules, do not respect team Kodi Piracy concerns, cannot make sensible decisions and only care about the price of Hardware.

Such users should be ashamed of themselves and they actually don't belong on this Kodi forum.
I wasnt 'thinking' anything i was just using the link to refer where i purchased the box, Ill refrain from posting any links to Gearbest or any Beelink MiniMX s905 products at all, It still doesnt change the fact they are are probably the best bang for your buck currently. Why would anyone spend 200$ on a 25$ device from a different manufacturer pumping them out of the same factories?
I'm using MINIX NEO X6.

I also want to upgrade my TV box to S905 or S905X.

Now I take a look at MINIX NEO U1 (S905) or PROBOX2 Air (S905X), but there is no information for PROBOX2 Air, anyone can give me suggestion?

thank you!
Foto
Read Post # 462 first...
A quick google search reveals the PROBOX2 Air is being advertised as another of the Kodi "Fully Loaded" boxes.
It will be on the buggy bleeding edge, and get no Kodi support on this forum.

The RF Air Mouse / Microphone remote control looks half decent tho. Better than what WeTek are offering on the Hub.

Really unless you have a HDR10 TV there is no advantage when using the new S905X.
No proper HDR10 movies around either unless you get 2160p HDR10 Netflix on the nVIDIA Shield.
Same with VP9. 2160p VP9 comes from YouTube and the only Android device that gets to use that is the nVIDIA Shield.

Compare Android Streaming Media Players HERE

Android 6.0 on AMLogic is a LOT buggier than well sorted Android 5.1.1 Lollipop Firmware you would find on the MINIX NEO U1.
If you want a stable AML box and great support get the U1. The contest is not even close.