Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2016-08-19, 15:09)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-19, 15:02)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-19, 12:57)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]2. There does seem to be an advantage to 2GB at the moment if you're running an ELEC variant on a cheapo amlogic box. People with 1GB devices are reporting freezes / out of memory problems. That's down to bugs / software not optimised though.
This is very likely fixed as the C2 running LibreELEC and the RPi has been having issues. See the GPU thread in RPi sub forum. Looks like a Kodi issue both with Jarvis and Krypton.
Ta for the info. Good to know.

To reset/recover this mislaid memory do I have to clear cache or reboot Kodi or reboot box, or all of these?
(2016-08-21, 23:47)jebise Wrote: [ -> ]yes thats true, and thats why you buy the hub instead.No reason why the play2 couldn't have 16gb.
The main feature for me in Play2 is DVB-T. That's I'm waiting for Play2 instead of Hub or some other box like Q5pro or even Shield. So there's still a reason.
(2016-08-22, 05:06)KoopaTroopa Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand the Wetek Hub "bashing" going on in this thread.

NONE of the budget S905 boxes with LE/OE can deliver 1080p Netflix in addition to Kodi in the same box.

If you have a S905 box with LE, and you want to watch 1080p Netflix then you gotta buy another box. (or hope you have a TV that has Netflix built-in)

There's no reason to bash on the Wetek Hub for delivering things that the budget S905 boxes do not deliver.

They are not equivalent. They might share some (or most) of the same specs, but they are not equivalent.

The fact is, the S905 budget boxes do not deliver 1080p Netflix. The Wetek Hub does. So, if people out there need a single box for those 2 criteria then all of those equivalent specs in the budget boxes still make them irrelevant. So please stop focusing on tech specs alone, even if there is some truth to the opinions, there is also a lot of BS included.

But this isn't a Wetek or Netflix thread, its budget S905/** media player thread, so you can possibly see why some at least are a bit miffed how the thread has been hijacked (too strong a word granted) and the whole tone of the arguments has degenerated to quite a low level.
(2016-08-22, 08:05)Jeffers24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-19, 15:09)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-19, 15:02)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]This is very likely fixed as the C2 running LibreELEC and the RPi has been having issues. See the GPU thread in RPi sub forum. Looks like a Kodi issue both with Jarvis and Krypton.
Ta for the info. Good to know.

To reset/recover this mislaid memory do I have to clear cache or reboot Kodi or reboot box, or all of these?

Restart Kodi resolves the issue, clearing cache I dont believe works .
(2016-08-22, 10:54)danfloss Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-22, 05:06)KoopaTroopa Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand the Wetek Hub "bashing" going on in this thread.

NONE of the budget S905 boxes with LE/OE can deliver 1080p Netflix in addition to Kodi in the same box.

If you have a S905 box with LE, and you want to watch 1080p Netflix then you gotta buy another box. (or hope you have a TV that has Netflix built-in)

There's no reason to bash on the Wetek Hub for delivering things that the budget S905 boxes do not deliver.

They are not equivalent. They might share some (or most) of the same specs, but they are not equivalent.

The fact is, the S905 budget boxes do not deliver 1080p Netflix. The Wetek Hub does. So, if people out there need a single box for those 2 criteria then all of those equivalent specs in the budget boxes still make them irrelevant. So please stop focusing on tech specs alone, even if there is some truth to the opinions, there is also a lot of BS included.

But this isn't a Wetek or Netflix thread, its budget S905/** media player thread, so you can possibly see why some at least are a bit miffed how the thread has been hijacked (too strong a word granted) and the whole tone of the arguments has degenerated to quite a low level.

Indeed, this is a Budget S905/S905X/S912 etc Media player thread, not a Wetek thread, no need for hijacks by disgruntled fanbois. Yes, the previous poster is correct, it is very much dependant on your needs, if you want your media player / kodi device to also serve as a 1080p HD Netflix device then you to look at a Widevine level 1 certified device with DRM capibilities.

Not everyone needs/wants Netflix /kodi in one box, for example I already have Netflix on both my Samsung Smart TV's and I have Chromecast, so for me there's absoluitely no need for this functionality. What I do need want though is a more storage than 8gb and more more RAM than 1GB. What are options in the budget arena....there are none from Wetek, so it's not Wetek bashing, the hub simply doesn't meet my criteria.
(2016-08-21, 21:36)gsmtech Wrote: [ -> ]So the previous spiel about the Hub having a compact footprint so only 1GB RAM would fit the board vs 2GB was all BS ?? Hence why the footprint size differences between the 1Gb chip vs the 2Gb chip asked for by the previous poster....havent been provided///

The new explanation makes more sense, theres a product line up, the Hub is the budget offering, they are saying if you want 2Gb RAM you have to buy the non-budget product and pay more cash...

How did you even come to that conclusion? I mention a product lineup because it is fair to say that the Hub is not one-size-fits-all. The Hub focuses on being small. That's why there's an IR extender and a little "wedge" on the bottom (for a possible future accessory that will "dock" it on the back of a TV, for easy removal to travel with).

Next you'll say that it's bullshit because people who want a tuner need to buy the more expensive box. Or that people who want more USB ports need the more expensive box.

The profit margins on both boxes are basically the same. It makes no sense for WeTek to try and upsell a more expensive box if that box is making the same amount of money for the company. That's retarded.

If the WeTek Hub needed 2GB then it would have either been designed larger or scrapped as a product. There is no more room without some very expensive board redesigns and engineering: http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/06/21/w...-teardown/ (each RAM chip is 512MB, and there are two total. One on the bottom and one under the heatsink.)

*removed*
EDIT: sorry for that last line. That was uncalled for. At least, for now.
(2016-08-22, 11:04)gsmtech Wrote: [ -> ]Indeed, this is a Budget S905/S905X/S912 etc Media player thread, not a Wetek thread, no need for hijacks by disgruntled fanbois. Yes, the previous poster is correct, it is very much dependant on your needs, if you want your media player / kodi device to also serve as a 1080p HD Netflix device then you to look at a Widevine level 1 certified device with DRM capibilities.

Not everyone needs/wants Netflix /kodi in one box, for example I already have Netflix on both my Samsung Smart TV's and I have Chromecast, so for me there's absoluitely no need for this functionality. What I do need want though is a more storage than 8gb and more more RAM than 1GB. What are options in the budget arena....there are none from Wetek, so it's not Wetek bashing, the hub simply doesn't meet my criteria.

You have been attacking WeTek over their prices, and people responded to you and dispelled your horseshit. If you want to blame anyone for hijacking anything, blame yourself. I have no doubt that there will be more brands that have great S905-based products, and I will never talk shit about them. However, I will call you out on horseshit like attacking people and calling them stupid for spending more money on WeTek. If you don't need to spend more to get an S905 box that fits your needs, great. I've even said that. My only issue is the crap coming out of your mouth.
(2016-08-22, 11:04)gsmtech Wrote: [ -> ]Indeed, this is a Budget S905/S905X/S912 etc Media player thread, not a Wetek thread, no need for hijacks by disgruntled fanbois...
...so it's not Wetek bashing...
Maybe what you see as 'hijacks' are a response to this sort of thing:
(2016-08-16, 10:51)gsmtech Wrote: [ -> ]You have to be dumb if you can't see that paying over 100 dollars for the same 25 dollar hardware the budget devices offer.
I've already said I'm happy with my minimxiii.
Today I've spent the last hour trying to diagnose a power problem / get logs / post logs, because after the latest update suspend has gone crazy. That's almost certainly because the developer (kszaq) has been trying to sort out power issues on the big list of other boxes that his libreelec supports.
All that's fine with me - his work is great, the box usually runs really well, all's good with the world. But I bet it hasn't happened this morning to anyone with a '$100' s905 box / board that has its own dedicated build.
[[/quote]
I've already said I'm happy with my minimxiii.
Today I've spent the last hour trying to diagnose a power problem / get logs / post logs, because after the latest update suspend has gone crazy. That's almost certainly because the developer (kszaq) has been trying to sort out power issues on the big list of other boxes that his libreelec supports.
All that's fine with me - his work is great, the box usually runs really well, all's good with the world. But I bet it hasn't happened this morning to anyone with a '$100' s905 box / board that has its own dedicated build.
[/quote]

I have a Beelink mini mxlll as well :-) very happy with it.

Replaced the Kodi it came with, with the play store version working very well and don't have any power problems yet :-)
(2016-08-22, 13:16)Jeffers24 Wrote: [ -> ]Replaced the Kodi it came with, with the play store version working very well and don't have any power problems yet :-)
This is nothing to do with android.
(2016-08-22, 13:24)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-22, 13:16)Jeffers24 Wrote: [ -> ]Replaced the Kodi it came with, with the play store version working very well and don't have any power problems yet :-)

Did I say it did?

The thread is not about Android, it's entitled:- Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options.

Maybe you are in the wrong thread?
(2016-08-22, 13:31)Jeffers24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-22, 13:24)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]

Did I say it did?

The thread is not about Android, it's entitled:- Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options.

If you quote my post - which is nothing to do with android - then I think I'm entitled to assume there's some correlation.
I've tried kodi on android on a minimxiii and it's frankly rubbish.
SPMC is significantly better if you really must run android.
Libreelec is great. Not even comparable.
And it works from sd / usb so you don't even lose your android os.
So FWIW...
Want a cheap s905 box?
Read the various libreelec threads, find one (a box) that's well supported (and mine's on that list).
Be prepared to DIY, troubleshoot, tweak and it can be great.
Want something that works out of the box?
Spend more money.

Edit: looking at post #541 at the top of this page you're asking about how to fix a libreelec issue in your play store kodiHuh
(2016-08-22, 13:42)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-22, 13:31)Jeffers24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-22, 13:24)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]This is nothing to do with android.

Did I say it did?

If you quote my post - which is nothing to do with android - then I think I'm entitled to assume there's some correlation.
SPMC is significantly better.
So FWIW...
Want a cheap box?
Read the various libreelec threads, find one (a box) that's well supported (and mine's on that list).
Spend more money.

The reason I posted was that we have the same box, I am using the Android OS that came with the box and not experiencing any power issues, I realise you may have a power issue on your box, just thought it might be useful input :-)

As I stated I am very happy with the box I already have a Beelink Mini MXlll once I installed Kodi from the play store.

Why do you say Kodi on Android on a Mini MXlll is rubbish?

What are you running on your Mini MXlll that is so great, apart from the current issue you are having?
(2016-08-22, 13:49)Jeffers24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-22, 13:42)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-22, 13:31)Jeffers24 Wrote: [ -> ]Did I say it did?

SPMC is significantly better.
So FWIW...
Want a cheap box?
Spend more money.

The reason I posted was that we have the same box, I am using the Android OS that came with the box and not experiencing any power issues, I realise you may have a power issue on your box, just thought it might be useful input :-)

As I stated I am very happy with the box I already have a Beelink Mini MXlll once I installed Kodi from the play store.

Why do you say Kodi on Android on a Mini MXlll is rubbish?

What are you running on your Mini MXlll that is so great, apart from the current issue you are having?
I'm running kszaq's build from the libreelec forums.
If you want to try it I'd suggest starting with 005 on sd card - it's non-destructive (ie stick card in you get libreelec when you boot but without the sd card you boot to android), runs really well and is an easier install than 006.
The experience is seriously night and day.
Release thread: https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-1172.html
Moaning and whingingDiscussion thread: https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-524.html
Android Kodi on the dirt cheap AML devices needs a lot of work to get anywhere near the A/V features a decent S905 LibreELEC image has.
I can list an extensive page of Android AML issues, but frankly I cannot be bothered anymore. A bunch are already well known.

You have to patch a the drivers, the Kernel, bug bust a whole lota shit, and then test, compile, test and repeat.

If AML Android Kodi users are happy with what they are getting then thats fine, you did not pay much $$ anyway.
But you can extract more from an Android Kodi S905 AML box when developers invest time, money and effort bug busting and adding extra features.