Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2016-10-20, 12:31)mamachan Wrote: [ -> ]YOKA TV and MECOOL BB2

http://androidpc.es/blog/2016/09/21/review-yokatv-kb2/
http://androidpc.es/blog/2016/09/30/review-mecool-bb2/

these two boxes TV (identical) are ok for Kodi?
USB ports are sufficient for 4K videos? I would like to attach an external hard drive to the USB port to use as storage for 4K video
Audio passthrough works fine?
Please read the START HERE Sticky thread, Post #1 about all the Kodi problems with AMLogic S912 boxes running Android 6.0, like the two linked above.

Audio passthrough not working is only the start of the problems.
The flood of these boxes is mind-boggling. Think I'm givin' up keeping post #1 updated.
Going Soft ! or has that Dark Helmet Avatar melted your brain ? Wink

I just label ALL unsupported Android 6.0 AMLogic boxes rubbish now, "you know just to be sure !"
(2016-10-20, 12:43)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]

USB ports are sufficient for 4K videos? I would like to attach an external hard drive to the USB port to use as storage for 4K video
Please read the START HERE Sticky thread, Post #1 about all the Kodi problems with AMLogic S912 boxes running Android 6.0, like the two linked above.

And so wich is at the moment the best Android TV box to use with Kodi?
Important for me is:
1) 5.1 passtrhough audio (no need HD Audio)
2) external (USB) or internal storage for 4K videos
3) no Kodi limitations

many thanks
We have a thread especially for users such as yourself:
its called....and you will have to do some reading.

START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Oct 2016)

No Kodi limitations on a budget box = an AMLogic S905 box running LibreELEC Kodi Jarvis. See the list on the previous page.
Why - because 4K video plays back and scales properly. Audio all works. And Kodi is fast and snappy.

What's your budget, which will be the overriding consideration ?
Anyway there is a bunch of info in the thread I linked too.
Why Mini M8S II 4K device is getting "Probably D"?
The linked review in cnxsoftware is quite positive.
Based on that review, no HD audio. Doesn't mention whether he's getting framerate switching, and proper 23.976, etc. But, reading users' comments, looks like 'no' and 'no'.
(2016-10-20, 22:01)nirfun Wrote: [ -> ]Why Mini M8S II 4K device is getting "Probably D"?
The linked review in cnxsoftware is quite positive.
I agree with @hdmkv

If you read through the comments section the box should actually be awarded an F if judged to Kodi review standards.
There are so many features either not working properly or just plain broken with AML S905's and Android Marshmallow Firmware on these budget AML boxes that it's just not worth it. Flash LibreELEC to these boxes instead.
(2016-10-20, 16:11)mamachan Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-20, 12:43)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]

And so wich is at the moment the best Android TV box to use with Kodi?
Important for me is:
1) 5.1 passtrhough audio (no need HD Audio)
3) no Kodi limitations

many thanks

For the features you've listed as others have quite rightly said, the stock android software provided on budget boxes is severely limited if you want features such as dynamic frame rate switching with fractional frame rates, audio passthrough etc.

But, you will get all these features working very well on these boxes if you install LibreElec. So your choice basically is if you want everything to work out of the box then you need to go for a fully supported device which will inevitably cost you at least double, and even 3 - 4 times what a budget box will cost you.

Or if you are willing to do a bit of reading and research and have basic IT skills, like being able to download files and copy them to SD cards and using a FTP client like Filezlla then a budget device will save you lot of cash. I posted a list of known working devices with Kszaq's LibreElec builds on the previous page so use that a strating point on your box purchase decisions if you decide to go the budget route.

DO NOT just go and buy any random device based on specs alone and expect it to work. You need to confirm LibreElec compatibility first if yuo want a good Kodi expereince.
(2016-10-21, 09:49)gsmtech Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-20, 16:11)mamachan Wrote: [ -> ]And so which is at the moment the best Android TV box to use with Kodi?
Important for me is:
1) 5.1 passthrough audio (no need HD Audio)
3) no Kodi limitations

many thanks
But, you will get all these features working very well on these boxes if you install LibreElec. So your choice basically is if you want everything to work out of the box then you need to go for a fully supported device which will inevitably cost you at least double, and even 3 - 4 times what a budget box will cost you.
OR simply buy a $69 Xiaomi Mi Box... its a no brainer....

Gives you a proper Android TV OS, very easy to use Android TV OS - Graphic User Interface (GUI).
Proper DRM and Netflix approvals for video streaming Apps IN 1080p or 4K, HDR as well
No need to fcuk around with Air mice and Track Pads.... to use ATV OS Apps properly.
And you will actually get proper Android Firmware support going forward.

Refresh Switching and 5.1 DTS Audio passthrough currently need fixing on the Mi Box, as well as deinterlacing for OTA TV / DVD's if you need that.
The Xiaomi is only $69 for those people based in the USA by the time it hits other parts of the world it's more than that, No ethernet either pretty crappy. May turn out to be a great device for now it's pretty broken and crappy. Why recommed a broken device ? Thats hypocritical...you bash budget China devuces for having buggy broken broken android firmware, then reccomend another device which is just as broken ? Who's to say these issues will definitely get fixed ?? I would not buy a Xiaomi until at least the next firmware update to see if anything actually gets fixed or not.
Xiaomi Mi Box It looks really good, but it has only one USB port.
One USB port for keyboard, and external HDD ...... where?
@gsmtech,
We at least we know what is broken on the Mi Box, Upfront - users go into purchasing it with their Eyes wide open. That is exactly what was in my above post.

Unlike being fooled and hoodwinked by some unknown China sourced Android piece of crap, that is marketed to unsuspecting Victims, by telling them that everything A/V playback wise is "Supported" when we both clearly know that is not the truth. Especially when it concerns Kodi A/V playback.

I think I would rather trust Xiaomi, a large Multibillion Dollar Smartphone company over an Asian Pirate Android Box seller anyday. Particularly when it comes to throwing programming manpower resources into fixing Firmware problems.
Xiaomi products are good, Im a fan I own several Xiaomi products from headpohones to fitness trackers etc. At this point though th Mi Box is pretty broken, Xiaomi are also known to have a patchy and slow track history on firmware updates and OS upgrades when it come to android on their mobile phone range.

Hopefully they do fix these issues on the Mi Box, and a reliable USB to ethenet adaptor surfaces.. I will be keeping an eye on this one.. Currently showing as 90 GBP on a well know china selelr website with UK shipping... not in stock yet though..

At that price it's not worth my while, it would have to be spectacular. Maybe there will be a promotion on it soon..
(2016-10-21, 10:56)mamachan Wrote: [ -> ]Xiaomi Mi Box It looks really good, but it has only one USB port.
One USB port for keyboard, and external HDD ...... where?
What buyers don't realise with ANY of these ARM based AMLogic devices is that you really need to also purchase a powered Multi port USB Hub to connect multiple USB devices and run 2.5" Hard Drives reliably. Or connected a 3.5" hard drive with its own power supply.
This is the same for ALL low powered RPi's, ODROID's, the Mi Box etc. These low power mobile Chip based devices cannot supply enough power on their own.

To get around this a bunch of us just run a Networked, multiple Hard drive server.

You can get away with not even needing a Keyboard when using the Android TV OS Interface. Its a LOT more remote control friendly than regular Android.