Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just started reading through this thread. Could someone explain the main differences between the AMLogic S905, S905X, S912 ?

Thank you....
Important point, do NOT just look at tech specs, because with AMLogic - good Firmware and support are everything if you want a decent device.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/07/31/a...omparison/

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/09/19/a...omparison/

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/08/28/a...dvertised/
(2016-10-23, 09:57)vertycall Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
Just wanted to let you guys know, Beelink has just released new firmware for GT1 - GT_105. They seem to have fixed the DTS and DD audio issues in their firmware. Also 10bit Hi-Def HEVC files are playing fine - no visible artifacts. Last but not least - the framerate switching also works properly. These are my observation using latest SPMC. In kodi 17 beta 3 - the situation is different - no audio in DTS , DD - has dropouts in aprox 10-15 sec, no framerate switching.
My slight concern right now is the higher temp of the box - previously was 45' now is 68'.

@hdmkv
May I ask you provide some update in your review to confirm / or deny / if there is progress in performance of this box.

Theres a newer firmware release for the GT1 now GT_106 , not sure what it fixes though, there doesnt appear to be any changelogs. Apparently thermals are better on the CPu with this firmware lower temps, users still reporting issues with dark scense and DTS passthrough dropouts.

Still best off avoiding all S912 devices untill firmware is stable or Libre Elec ever surfaces...
Hi, wondered if anyone can help? After purchasing the Beelink MINIMX III box I downloaded the latest version of openelec 6.95.3.2 and followed the instructions to install it. All went well but then the box rebooted to a blank screen? I am now unable to view anything or get a response from the box. I've plugged out and in and still nothing? Just the blue light is dimmed on the front?

Can anyone help please? Sad

Many thanks
(2016-10-26, 14:04)nickmeister Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, wondered if anyone can help? After purchasing the Beelink MINIMX III box I downloaded the latest version of openelec 6.95.3.2 and followed the instructions to install it. All went well but then the box rebooted to a blank screen? I am now unable to view anything or get a response from the box. I've plugged out and in and still nothing? Just the blue light is dimmed on the front?

Can anyone help please? Sad

Many thanks

OpenElec is dead no devleopment in ages. Obtain the original Android firmware for yuor device and reflash back to stock firmware , then once restored try Kzaqs Libre Elec build instead. Which Mini MX III do you have ? The S905 based one ? There is also a Mini MX III II which is different this is S905X based and is a newer box.
Thanks for the reply. I managed to sort it out in the end by reinstalling another version, waited and eventually Kodi booted. Everything now working perfectly!

Many thanks
(2016-10-24, 04:41)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Yep all of the. They all use common Firmware that gets flashed at the factory that includes a Pirate Payload.
These sellers know exactly what the are doing, in fact it's part of their business model.

Hopefully cheap Android TV OS devices, mass manufactured and coming from the likes of Xiaomi and ZTE and others to come, get to the point being sold worldwide with decent Firmware at a reasonable price. That there is no point in even buying unsupported, buggy, Pirate crap.

Apparently Futeko sells one that is preinstalled with libreelec (no android), as far as I know Futeko is allowed to be advertised on this forum as they do not include any piracy addons (if not please feel free to remove this post).
Unfortunately it is the S905 1GB RAM 8GB storage variant.
Been using an MXQ Pro since May this year. Still recommend it for basic playback. Pretty sure 23.976 doesn't work but I've gotten used to 60FPS - doubt my old WD TV even had proper frame rate switching. Cost me less than $10 after selling off my WD TV. All my own rips are basic 1080/720p H.264 with AC-3 or 480/576p with AAC and frame-rate aside work fine. Some HEVC test files are fine too. Clean install of Kodi 16.1 and I haven't updated the box for months (not that there were any updates). In terms of plug n play still isn't a bad choice. The S905 boxes are the not nightmare people make them out to be for basic playback. The S912 Marshmallow boxes I'd avoid for another 3 months at least until the firmware stabilizes though.
Would it make sense to buy a beelink s950x box now, or is support for s905 still better? Would be nice to have the extra gig of ram...
Support for S905 is still better. You can have that extra gig of ram with 905 also... that's not SoC related. There is Mini MX version with 2 GB of ram and MiniMXIII (S905) comes with 2 GB of ram.
The beelink s905x box does not have working wifi/bt drivers in LE, stick to the old s905 beelink with the red logo.
ok thanks for the heads up!
MiniMX III only has single band WiFi 2.4ghz but it does seem to have the S905 rev C SOC . The non-beelnk branded MiniMX (all black with no red logo also called the MiniMX-G) has dual band WiFi 2.4ghz / 5Ghz but these mostly had the S905 rev B SOC, this may have chnaged now though as im guessing the rev B';s are no longer around and have probably been phased out in old stock.
Quite difficult to find the s905 (without x) version now on gearbest og aliexpress. Does anyone have a link?
Cant give links to GB but just search for Beelink Mini MXIII. It comes up with the full name