Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2017-07-08, 20:37)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Still looks pretty decent & comes with DD/DD+ 5.1 Audio. Smile
I thought it was limited to stereo. I haven't checked recently, but a while ago I had checked it on some Android device (can't remember which one Wink)
Definitely getting 5.1 EAC/DD+ Audio Passthrough thru to my DD+ capable TV. Smile

Plus you guys did not mention an important point - Kodi dynamic refresh switching works for ultra smooth 24p Netflix video playback.
I only got stereo when I tested it, but I had just installed it. Of course, Kszaq is the master mind behind these OpenELEC and now LibreELEC ports to these boxes.

Wrxtasy, I looked for your port, but did not find it. But, getting Netflix in HD in these inexpensive boxes, (I don't call them cheap), is just fantastic.
(2017-07-08, 20:49)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely getting 5.1 EAC/DD+ Audio Passthrough thru to my DD+ capable TV. Smile

Plus you guys did not mention an important point - Kodi dynamic refresh switching works for ultra smooth 24p Netflix video playback.
You're right. I tired this out with J. Galt's LE9 build on a S905X. I did get Dolby Digital Plus audio. It is Amazon Prime video that is limited to stereo.

I do get 1080p streaming for both Netflix and Amazon, but S905X fails miserably with the software decoding task. I am not sure whether it will be any different on S912. May have to try it on a Intel system. 720p streaming works fine.
What codec is being broadcast, that s905 can't decode?
(2017-07-09, 01:44)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]What codec is being broadcast, that s905 can't decode?
I suppose this was directed to me. If so, I was talking about software decoding of secure streams. As for codec, it is just H.264/AVC.
I am a beginner in this particular area, but can these streams not be hardware decoded?
(2017-07-09, 01:50)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]I am a beginner in this particular area, but can these streams not be hardware decoded?
I don't think so. Secure streams are being software decoded because there is no hardware based security on LE (or LE can't utilize the hardware based security that is available on some Android boxes).
Thank you.
I stand corrected, I did get DD+ from Netflix. I played an episode of "Lost", HD video, with DD+ audio. All this from a $40 box, and my BlueRay rips play with HD audio in LibreELEC.
(2017-07-09, 02:23)clarkss12 Wrote: [ -> ]I stand corrected, I did get DD+ from Netflix. I played an episode of "Lost", HD video, with DD+ audio. All this from a $40 box, and my BlueRay rips play with HD audio in LibreELEC.
720p may meet the SMPTE/ITU/ATSC definition of HD, but in 4K era 720p is nothing. Just my personal opinion Smile
It is nevertheless a step up.
(2017-07-09, 02:49)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]It is nevertheless a step up.
Sure Smile
Another update, went into Netflix settings and changed it from 720P, to 1080p, now I am getting bitrate >> 5800kpps, Res. >> 1920 x 1080 Par 1:1. Again, it went to that resolution instantly.

I am using the "Example Short 23.976" for testing......
Also, my AVR is showing DD+

This is using the latest update from John Galt, that he just posted. 9.0.0-testing4.

https://github.com/amillogical/LibreELEC.tv/releases
(2017-07-09, 01:42)clarkss12 Wrote: [ -> ]Wrxtasy, I looked for your port, but did not find it.
As I said LE & Kodi is a team effort
The S905 project Kodi Leia patches uses the ones in the S912 project directory. Smile

ffmpeg H264 Software decoding, as used in this LE 9.x Kodi Leia - needs optimisation on AML devices to produce smooth 1080p video playback.