Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There's a 3D UHD disc format, but it's still 1080p for 3D,thats why I was curious about the encoding.
Edit**

Or I guess not.. Lol I was sure I read this in an article a month or so ago but maybe it was just a rumor. Thanks for the clairification
I think studios & manufacturers are waiting to see how 4K BD's fare/sell before introducing 3D 4K... getting most to re-buy movies in 4K is already a hard sell. From DVD to Blu-ray, most could appreciate the difference, but it's the law of diminishing returns for many from 1080p BD to 4K BD. Honesty, you need a 65" or larger display at least & need to be pretty picky about PQ (us lot) to appreciate & be willing to pay for. I see 4K being nothing but a niche format.
(2016-01-23, 03:31)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]I think studios & manufacturers are waiting to see how 4K BD's fare/sell before introducing 3D 4K... getting most to re-buy movies in 4K is already a hard sell. From DVD to Blu-ray, most could appreciate the difference, but it's the law of diminishing returns for many from 1080p BD to 4K BD. Honesty, you need a 65" or larger display at least & need to be pretty picky about PQ (us lot) to appreciate & be willing to pay for. I see 4K being nothing but a niche format.

its like you mentioned with 3D, its a personal preference thing i guess, i have a 55" UHD 3D LG Display and watching Exodus or Life of PI Bluray vs watching the HDR 4K samples floating around is like night and day difference, to me at least. Netflix UHD and the likes just dont do the format justice. i also love 3D and find the experience at home to be much better than at the theatre, passive 3D glasses are very comfortable and mine all weigh much less than most expensive sunglasses.
(2016-01-23, 03:37)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-23, 03:31)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]I think studios & manufacturers are waiting to see how 4K BD's fare/sell before introducing 3D 4K... getting most to re-buy movies in 4K is already a hard sell. From DVD to Blu-ray, most could appreciate the difference, but it's the law of diminishing returns for many from 1080p BD to 4K BD. Honesty, you need a 65" or larger display at least & need to be pretty picky about PQ (us lot) to appreciate & be willing to pay for. I see 4K being nothing but a niche format.

its like you mentioned with 3D, its a personal preference thing i guess, i have a 55" UHD 3D LG Display and watching Exodus or Life of PI Bluray vs watching the HDR 4K samples floating around is like night and day difference, to me at least. Netflix UHD and the likes just dont do the format justice. i also love 3D and find the experience at home to be much better than at the theatre, passive 3D glasses are very comfortable and mine all weigh much less than most expensive sunglasses.

If you're watching a 3D Passive UHD set then you have a maximum 1080p vertically as the limiting factor is the display - as you only get alternate lines in each eye with passive 3D (Passive 1080p displays only gave you 540p). So you would get 3840x1080 resolution maximum with a UHD 3D format. You'd either need an 8K Passive UHD2 display, or a flickering active display with LCD shuttered glasses, to get full 2160p vertical resolution. I suspect this is another reason 3D UHD may not be at the forefront of the standard.

It may also be that 3D Blu-ray hasn't set the market on-fire, so two 3D Blu-ray formats may be a bit too niche...
(2016-01-23, 03:37)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]i have a 55" UHD 3D LG Display and watching Exodus or Life of PI Bluray vs watching the HDR 4K samples floating around is like night and day difference, to me at least.
How are you watching these HDR 4K samples? I know of only three media players that actually support HDR - Amazon Instant Video, Vudu on Vizio Reference TVs and M-GO on Samsung TVs. Everything else discards the HDR metadata and plays it in SDR. Also, only the Samsung 2015 TVs have been upgraded to support HDR from external input.
(2016-01-23, 03:54)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-23, 03:37)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]i have a 55" UHD 3D LG Display and watching Exodus or Life of PI Bluray vs watching the HDR 4K samples floating around is like night and day difference, to me at least.
How are you watching these HDR 4K samples? I know of only three media players that actually support HDR - Amazon Instant Video, Vudu on Vizio Reference TVs and M-GO on Samsung TVs. Everything else discards the HDR metadata and plays it in SDR. Also, only the Samsung 2015 TVs have been upgraded to support HDR from external input.

My TV plays them internally via USB. It shows as hev1 instead of hevc on the info display.

I should say I have no idea if it's true hdr but the PQ is ridiculously good and those samples are the highest quality uhd stuff I have. I have tears of steel in 4k h. 264 8 bit but it peaks out at 110mb and my TV or USB can't keep up, AMLOGIC stb kept up.
(2016-01-23, 01:14)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]I think the XBMC Foundation is just waiting for 3D to die so the headache goes away on its own.

*ducks*

If 3D die, then that will be the end of technology,3D is the reason why the Hardware forum is the most popular forum in Kodi
(2016-01-23, 01:34)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Fire away @ Ned Big Grin!!!

Unfortunately, what the foundation (hope only a few devs feel this) is/are wishing = what studios & manufacturers are wishing. They built 3D MVC, hyped it, overpriced it, improperly promoted it, and now are trying to kill it. It sucks as 3D done right is an awesome, immersive experience that's unrivalled by even the best 2D, IMAX 2D included!

I can't imagine watching any of these 3D highlights in 2D; no way! Haters, denial-ists, you have no idea what you're missing!
  • The Art of Flight (2011)
  • Despicable Me (2010)
  • Despicable Me 2 (2013)
  • Dredd (2012)
  • Edge of Tomorrow (2014)
  • Gravity (2013) 3D With ATMOS is one the most immersive movie i have even seen
  • Hugo (2011)
  • IMAX Deep Sea (2006)
  • IMAX Sharks (2004)
  • IMAX Space Station (2010)
  • IMAX The Ultimate Wave Tahiti (2010)
  • IMAX Under the Sea (2009)
  • Life of Pi (2012)
  • Mad Max Fury Road (2015)
  • The Martian (2015)
  • Pacific Rim (2013)
  • Prometheus (2012)
  • Ruin (2011)
  • Sammy's Adventures (2010)
  • Thunder and the House of Magic (2013)
  • The Walk (2015)
  • The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet (2013)

...and I haven't even listed the many 'B' titles or many guilty pleasures! 'Drive Angry', 'Resident Evil Afterlife', 'Resident Evil Retribution', A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas', 'Yogi Bear', and more!

There are also all the first-rate David Attenborough BBC documentaries. If you haven't watched any of these in 3D, you don't know what you're missing!

Hoping James Cameron re-injects new life into 3D as he started this bandwagon for the modern age with 'Avatar'. Bring on the 'Terminator 2' 3D conversion and the 'Avatar' sequels in glorious 3D!

Also, I went to 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' on opening day in IMAX 3D... whoa! A conversion, yes, but 3D used to great effect... the expansive ships, the vistas with depth, etc.

Keep/save 3D... it's worth it! We all want an immersive movie experience... 3D is the best way to do this! Of course, good content is a must, but 3D helps elevate even some crappy movies.

Don't listen to me...
- The living-legend Martin Scorsese
- The groundbreaker Ridley Scott
- The innovator James Cameron
- The groundbreaker Ang Lee
- The boundaries-pusher Alfonso Cuaron
- The inventive Robert Zemeckis

Case closed Smile!!!

+1
(2016-01-23, 02:59)Soulbind Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-23, 01:34)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Fire away @ Ned Big Grin!!!

Unfortunately, what the foundation (hope only a few devs feel this) is/are wishing = what studios & manufacturers are wishing. They built 3D MVC, hyped it, overpriced it, improperly promoted it, and now are trying to kill it. It sucks as 3D done right is an awesome, immersive experience that's unrivalled by even the best 2D, IMAX 2D included!

I can't imagine watching any of these 3D highlights in 2D; no way! Haters, denial-ists, you have no idea what you're missing!

List :
- Sharks 3D (2004) the most beautiful
- Jupiter Ascending
- Jurassic World
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Tron Legacy
- Star Trek Into Darkness.
- Nitro Circus The Movie 2012
- Godzilla 2014

(2016-01-23, 03:21)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-23, 03:20)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone know if the new 3D UHD disc format will be HEVC encoding also?

I didn't think the new Blu-ray UHD format included 3D UHD? Think the UHD formats are 2D only. (3D remains 1080p MVC?)

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/w...hd-blu-ray

yes only FHD, i am secure UHD Alliance next 2-3 year they release again a "new" 3D 4k ..... equal story with FHD ... something "new" for sell TV

(2016-01-23, 08:11)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-23, 01:14)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]I think the XBMC Foundation is just waiting for 3D to die so the headache goes away on its own.

*ducks*

If 3D die, then that will be the end of technology,3D is the reason why the Hardware forum is the most popular forum in Kodi

+ 1 quote: 3D than Audio HD and h.265 10 bit
I agree with Wesk05. I think 3D immersion is very, very subjective. Some people are more susceptable to the "experience" than others. Much like hypnotism or the old magic eye pictures. Some people's brain and sensory perception allow them to feel much more involved and consumed by the visual stimulation, where as others don't. Yes, we can all see the "3D effect" to some extent but some way more than others.

I take my young kids regurlarly to the cinema to watch 3D movies. Their brains are so involved in trying to determine the sense of depth and compute the irrational visualisation that it IS like being in the movie to them. They have to take their glasses off periodically to see if things are actually right in front of their face or because they think something is coming out of the screen to "hit" them. You see them moving in the seat trying to dodge things and reaching out to try and grab objects etc. To them, they are truely immersed because their brain is allowing that train of thought. To me its not. Yes, I can see the 3D effect but not to the extreme it does to other people. It doesn't involve me in the film any more than a 2D movie would or does.

I have an active 3D projector and an active 3D tv. Never used either really apart from to "test" what it looks like or to let the kids watch a 3D bluray. I understand it has its place in the market, the technology will only get better and potentially lead to further immersion experiences, but it is more involving for some people than others. Until you can wear Occulus Rift type devices and truly be "in the movie", I think its just an option, much like 4DX movies, rather than the next level of movie experiences.
(2016-01-23, 12:45)DrJogalog Wrote: [ -> ]I think 3D immersion is very, very subjective. Some people are more susceptable to the "experience" than others. Much like hypnotism or the old magic eye pictures. Some people's brain and sensory perception allow them to feel much more involved and consumed by the visual stimulation, where as others don't. Yes, we can all see the "3D effect" to some extent but some way more than others.
Maybe for 3D movies with light to medium 3D effects. I've had many family members, relatives & guests over and demo 3D sequences from different movies... everyone's always impressed. Unless they're all susceptible to hypnotism Wink. A big screen helps. A good system helps. Good active glasses help.
(2016-01-08, 21:26)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]January 22, 2016 Update:

3D f**k'ing matters! Please see here!

Anyway, back to topic... out of respect for GPL and developers' hard work, and Kodi trademarks equally, I've re-considered and removed my review/comparison of both Tronsmart S95 Pro with VidOn XBMC Pro and Beelink Mini MX with custom OpenELEC. I'm not sure if source code for latter has been shared by developer Alex @ Amlinuxmedia forum. If he has, I'll restore the Beelink OpenELEC bits only, as the Android version Beelink ships Mini MX with has an app that sneakily allows injection of banned add-ons into Kodi....

....Thanks to wrxtasy for his passionate PM to me. He's right that we shouldn't give VidOn any publicity, airtime, or whatever may support them.
Yes it was a bit of a passionate PMail mostly stating we should Place utmost importance on protecting and supporting current and potential XBMC / Kodi devs from exploitation by well known GPL Violators, that then sell modified code for profit.
Thanks to hdmkv for having a rethink, after looking at the bigger Kodi Open Source project picture.

I have also found as well, cheap AMLogic S905 devices like the Beelink Mini MX. Ships with Generic Firmware from a common AMLogic Hardware production line in China. And yes there is an Android App included in this Firmware to very easily install a whole bunch of Kodi Banned Addons. These types of S905's are nothing better than Android Kodi Pirate facilitation boxes really.
I dont belice 3d will die..
Its here to stay.
I just love 3d!
Shame kodi still doesnt support
But its true, on normal tv, 3d is a gimmick
But if you have a projector and a big screen, 3d adds a whole new experience
(2016-01-22, 15:43)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-22, 15:18)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Have a link to Alex/Kerber's OpenELEC/Kodi work on GitHub? If he is compliant, I'll restore the Beelink Mini MX bits pertaining to his build only in post #1. Thanks.

i have the links to his git, yes. but i dont really care about sharing them, not my place to defend something when no defense is needed.Also I dont think his git is updated for that build yet so he might as well be Vidon since hes probably technically in violation. which is funny because hes using Koyings xbmc fork
As dukester doesn't want to provide links, anyone have GitHub links? Have no idea where to look.

(2016-01-23, 11:18)looun Wrote: [ -> ]- Nitro Circus The Movie 2012
Had never heard of this... just ordered from Amazon. Can't pass up for $9.99 Smile.