Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Received my Mecool KM8 Google Certified Android TV box and made a video about it.  I do believe it IS Google Certified, and does support HDCP 2.2, however, there is NO official native Netflix app that will work on it.  The word on the street, is that Mecool has applied for Netflix certification, and they will be applying a firmware upgrade in the future to implement 4k Netflix.  It does NOT support HD audio, only Dolby Digital and DTS.  Otherwise, it looks and acts exactly like my Xiaomi Mibox.  The running temperature on both the Xiaomi and Mecool hoover around 80 centagrade while playing media.  Of course while, Kodi is scrapping the media, the temp on BOTH both boxes go to the mid 80's.

The question is, is it a direct replacement for the Xiaomi Mibox?  At this time, it still lacks some of the functions of the Xiaomi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LygWfEJZ...e=youtu.be
Thorough review, thanks. The lack of HD audio support is surprising; the h/w as we know is certainly capable.
(2018-08-08, 02:03)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Thorough review, thanks. The lack of HD audio support is surprising; the h/w as we know is certainly capable.

Yes, I thought that would be a given.
(2018-08-08, 00:53)clarkss12 Wrote: [ -> ]Received my Mecool KM8 Google Certified Android TV box and made a video about it.  I do believe it IS Google Certified
Nice detailed video review! Did you try Google Cast? If it works, then this box indeed has Google's blessings. I do have to mention that Dolby Digital logo on the box is an unapproved one. The androidtv logo on the box is also likely a trademark violation.
Just installed LibreELEC from a microSD card and YES, it does play HD audio...  Just grabbed a device tree for a S905x box, and it works, but stock IR/Bluetooth  does not work.  Did not test WiFi, but my WiFi does show up.  Will continue to test.

To install, I just burned the LibreELEC img onto an older 16 gig microSD card using Rufus.  I then downloaded a S905x device tree, renamed it to "dtb.img", and copied it to the root of the microSD card that I just installed LibreELEC onto.  I then inserted the microSD card into my box.  I removed power from the box, inserted a paper clip into the reset hole in the bottom of the box.  As I kept depressing the reset switch with the paper clip, I re-applied power.  I counted to 10 and released the paper clip that was depressing the reset button.  The box then installed LibreELEC.  Really a piece of cake.

I have not tried to root the box, SO FAR.............
(2018-08-08, 05:37)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-08, 00:53)clarkss12 Wrote: [ -> ]Received my Mecool KM8 Google Certified Android TV box and made a video about it.  I do believe it IS Google Certified
Nice detailed video review! Did you try Google Cast? If it works, then this box indeed has Google's blessings. I do have to mention that Dolby Digital logo on the box is an unapproved one. The androidtv logo on the box is also likely a trademark violation. 
  Somewhere in that video, I "cast" the screen from my computer to this box, so I would ASSUME that the casting works.  Also, when I selected the option from my Chrome browser running on  my Window 10 computer, It showed KM8 as a device, not some fugu, or what ever.  

I have no way that I know of, to verify if indeed, the Dolby Digital is official.
(2018-08-08, 06:03)clarkss12 Wrote: [ -> ]Somewhere in that video, I "cast" the screen from my computer to this box, so I would ASSUME that the casting works.  Also, when I selected the option from my Chrome browser running on  my Window 10 computer, It showed KM8 as a device, not some fugu, or what ever.  
I meant DRM protected content casting like from Netflix, HBO, Showtime, Google Play Movies etc.
(2018-08-08, 06:06)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-08, 06:03)clarkss12 Wrote: [ -> ]Somewhere in that video, I "cast" the screen from my computer to this box, so I would ASSUME that the casting works.  Also, when I selected the option from my Chrome browser running on  my Window 10 computer, It showed KM8 as a device, not some fugu, or what ever.  
I meant DRM protected content casting like from Netflix, HBO, Showtime, Google Play Movies etc. 
 Netflix would not stream, but HBO did.  Did not test others, because I don't subscribe.
(2018-08-08, 06:06)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]
 I just tried to "cast" Netflix from my computer and my Xiaomi Mibox does NOT even show up as a listed device to cast to.  I CAN cast YouTube, but not Netflix.  HBOGO will stream to my Mibox AND my KM8.....  I would think that the Mibox would definitely cast Netflix, but not.........
(2018-08-08, 18:22)clarkss12 Wrote: [ -> ]I just tried to "cast" Netflix from my computer and my Xiaomi Mibox does NOT even show up as a listed device to cast to.  I CAN cast YouTube, but not Netflix.  HBOGO will stream to my Mibox AND my KM8.....  I would think that the Mibox would definitely cast Netflix, but not......... 
If you were able to cast HBOGo, then it's actually a sign the box does have Google approval. I think, YouTube casting uses a different protocol. There are some free movies on Google Play Movies that you can add to your account - All Creatures Big and Small, Bling, Bunyan & Babe, La Luna, Sintel, The Polar Bears. You can search for "free movies" and it will show you a list of 22 titles.
(2018-08-08, 19:00)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-08, 18:22)clarkss12 Wrote: [ -> ]I just tried to "cast" Netflix from my computer and my Xiaomi Mibox does NOT even show up as a listed device to cast to.  I CAN cast YouTube, but not Netflix.  HBOGO will stream to my Mibox AND my KM8.....  I would think that the Mibox would definitely cast Netflix, but not......... 
If you were able to cast HBOGo, then it's actually a sign the box does have Google approval. I think, YouTube casting uses a different protocol. There are some free movies on Google Play Movies that you can add to your account - All Creatures Big and Small, Bling, Bunyan & Babe, La Luna, Sintel, The Polar Bears. You can search for "free movies" and it will show you a list of 22 titles. 
Just played "The Polar Bears" on Google Play and "cast" to my KM8 box, perfectly.
(2018-08-08, 20:07)clarkss12 Wrote: [ -> ]Just played "The Polar Bears" on Google Play and "cast" to my KM8 box, perfectly. 
Well... then we have an answer for whether this box has Google approval Smile
@clarkss12, not sure if I saw in your review, is refresh rate switching working on Android side w/Kodi?
(2018-08-09, 01:24)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]@clarkss12, not sure if I saw in your review, is refresh rate switching working on Android side w/Kodi?
 I have no idea what that means..  Or how to test it......
Are your movies playing in 23.976 (aka 24p) frame rate no matter which resolution the box is set at? Your TV's info or display button should show this.