Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Shield TV 4K playback issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

Been a while since I posted last but that's a good thing, means no issues my end Smile

So I've been running on an Acer Revo R3700 for a few years now and the wife got me a Shield TV for Christmas!
So I have this all singing and dancing android media player but I'm having an issue with 4k playback, mainly it stutters like crazy. Now if I switch on 'libstagefright' HW decoding most of the stuttering goes away which is great, but I now have strange artefacts when skipping or fastforwarding/rewinding. Is there another way of getting 4k playback working without libstagefright?

Also isn't libstagefright being dropped in favour of MediaCodec in Jarivs?
If I use MediaCodec I get no video at all and without HW decoding even 24fps 4k suffers from stuttering.

Any advice is very welcome

Darren
Hello Darren... Darren here, just wondering what you are playing back from?

I got one of these at Xmas, damn awesome from the OH and mine has been fine with 4K content out the box. Running KODI 16 Beta 4... No stutter jutter jitter or flicker.
Hiya,

I'm running from a Sandisk USB3 32GB drive, was running 15.2 but just (10mins ago) put 16.0-Beta5 on, the one for HD Audio testing.

When I enable libstagefright on 15.2 all 4k is smooth, big buck bunny for example at HFR 60fps, but as soon as I disable it it goes back to stuttering badly.
I have just tried MediaCodec (surface) on the new Beta but that has stretched all my videos out of proportion and seems very buggy Smile

I will have a look at uninstalling and putting beta 4 on.
Yeah anything I have runs via SMB over lan... So that rules that out.

I haven't looked at Beta 5.... Was on 4 was using the NUC so stuck with it.

I'll go have a look at mine in a sec!

Quick edit.... Media codec set and that's it!
hmmmm, may have been my bad as I'm not having much luck with my new setup.

I had 'Adjust refresh rate' set to 'always' rather than 'on start/stop'. I don't remember setting this but as it is now a clean install I am just running a restore from my backup file, could be a while Wink

I am having some other issues but I think this is more downto my new Yamaha amp, it keeps randomly losing the audio connection when switching audio, I know this is now different than the topic but just thought I would pick your brain.

for example;
2ch audio in menus -> play 5.1ch video -> exit video -> all audio cuts off -> play 5.1ch video -> exit video -> 2ch audio in menus returns

This is with passthrough enabled and disabled and is random when it does it. It also disables the audio when switching from say my TV (hdmi2) back to the Shield (HDMI6 HDCP2.2). It does this on any HDMI I connect the shield to, yet last week I had an older Yamaha amp with no issues. Sounds like an issue between Shiled and the amp to me... *restore still running*
OK, turns out I wasn't going mad Smile

15.2 seems to judder when skipping with HW decoding on. Beta 4 seems ok but my widescreen films are now stretched so the top and bottom black bars are gone and I can't find where this issue has come from. I have just done 2 clean installs, once back to 15.2 and now back to beta4 and still on beta4 my videos are stretched Sad
on the Info when the films are playing it's saying they are 21:9 aspect but are filling the screen
Just grabbed a copy of BBB 2160p at 60fps and perfect playback.

Never heard of it before... So was curious!!

Sound is a separate battle I haven't come to yet!!! I took on the Shield knowing sound wasn't right, but my i5 NUC just couldn't handle what I was doing. At the moment I just have pass through enabled with no issue ax

I have a few seconds silence at the start of files but this seems to be a known issue.
I'm used to the bit of silence and my Yamaha amp last week was fine, upgraded on Tuesday and issues all the time, will call Yamaha on Monday.

As for the video issues I may have fixed it. I decided to reset the Shield to factory and then clean install 15.2 from the play store... all seems fine with HW decoding on! A little bit of a green flicker when I first press play but not jumping or stuttering on normal or 4K files. Maybe somewhere in the back end some info wasn't being removed when I was doing the uninstall and was causing issues.
I'm not going to do a restore of my profile either as this may re-introduce the issue. Oh well, looks like a long night re-creating my advanced playlists Wink

Thank you for all your help
Obvious question I know but have you checked the resolution etc outside of KODI?? In the shield settings itself
haha, yes, it automatically set itself to 4k@60hz when I got the new amp. The first thing I checked Wink
I also tried running direct into the TV but was the same, all seems alright now I did a full wipe (apart form the audio)
No worries... Playlists etc should copy over.

My 1st few builds where horrid. I pretty much started from scratch when I went to android. I had a lot of issues with browsing SMB shares which was add on related in the end.

Glad you got some idea behind it though, am very impressed with the Shield... Been looking st getting some emulators on it as well.... So far soooooo very good!
Yes I was impressed until my new amp arrived and introduced all these issues.

I normally start from scratch whenever I change my setup but this time I tried going from Windows to Android and as you said the SMB shares wouldn't work correctly and my playlists had issues. Have decided to do it all by hand now on my nice and clean Shield
That's the way I went and its happy happy..... Odd little glitch I can live with!