Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Network problems (buffering?) reproducing files from remote PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello. I'm trying Openelec on my Intel NUC i3. Before I tried Lubuntu + Kodi, but it was very unstable. Now I've another problem, that seems appear after the Openelec installation. I've a gigabit wired LAN in my home. I've video and audio files in one other desktop PC with Linux Mint in the same LAN. When I reproduce that audio or video files on the NUC through the LAN, after some minutes the playing freezes, and the Kodi interface no longer works. I've to restart the NUC and/or switch off and on the LAN switch, but, restarting the playing, the problem comes back again. A friend of mine says that it seems a buffering problem. I'm not a network expert at all, so, I don't know what to do to solve the problem. Only know that using a gigabit wired LAN, the problem should not happen... I've also tryied to substitute the LAN switch with another, also Gigabit, but the problem still happen (both are economic LAN switches, but different brand and model). Any ideas? May thanks to all. P.S this evening I will try to do a debug log.
a Debug Log would be nice, yes...

What you could do, too....

you could ping your OE machine from the Mint PC and see if you got packet losts.

Code:
ping ip.to.openelec.here

let that run for several minutes.

Next thing to check....

There is an addon in openELECs unofficial repo, which is called iperf. You have to install iperf on Mint as well

Code:
sudo apt-get install iperf

Then you have open a command line on the Mint machine and start iperv with:

Code:
iperf -s

"iperf -s" means you start iperf as a server on this machine.

On OE side, you should be able to start iperf as an client with the ip to the iperf server. Then it will check the bandwidth of your LAN. Might be helpfull to be sure, you have a gigabit network.

But don't forget the logfile
Thank you David. Last evening I've just restart the LAN router (not the switch, but only the router, I never restart it before), then I've played one music album and one movie, without interruptions. I don't kow if and how it can influence the problem, because I use the router only to go on Internet, the home PCs are connected each other by the LAN switch, and the router is connected to the switch. Anyway I'll check more these days and I'll report. Thanks.
Fritzbox 7xxx by unitymedia by chance and a switch behind it?
(2016-01-14, 12:02)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Fritzbox 7xxx by unitymedia by chance and a switch behind it?

Yes, something like this, the router/modem is D-Link instead Fritzbox, but it's the same, and behind there is the LAN switch Gigabit. I'm not shure the D-Link is also Gigabit, but, theorically, the data from the PC Mint to the NUC OE passes through the LAN switch, not through the router/modem...
A question (maybe OT), I would like to add a NAS to my system, if I buy a new all in one router/modem/switch device like the Fritzbox 7430, with 4 Gigabit LAN ports included, I can use it to do everithing instead to have two separate devices (router/modem + LAN Switch), or, it is better to keep two separate devices? End of OTBig Grin
D-Link is not a fritz box ... no idea - I am not into networking.
Quote:A question (maybe OT), I would like to add a NAS to my system, if I buy a new all in one router/modem/switch device like the Fritzbox 7430, with 4 Gigabit LAN ports included, I can use it to do everithing instead to have two separate devices (router/modem + LAN Switch), or, it is better to keep two separate devices? End of OT

of course you can do this. It depends on how many network ports you need. In my home I have 16 network ports. So a 4-port router wouldn't fit my needs. In my case I decided to use an additional 24 port switch.

If you need only 4 ports for your home and can do the rest with wifi, the fritz box would be fine.

Fritsch was asking, because there are some errors with those boxes (7xxx) and additional switches. I'm the lucky one, who never heard of the issue and I don't have it, fortunately Wink.