Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Texture tile
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I think there's an <aspectratio>tile</aspectratio> really missing for image control.
In most of the skins I made for other softwares, this is something usually used for blocs background and picture file size saver.
This duplicates a picture with its original size to fill the <width> and <height>.
Since skins are getting more and more evolved, this could probably also allow more possibilities.

User customization in mind, it could be used with Skin.SetImage to allow user to apply their own background this way.
It's sometimes not easy to deal to deal with scale / stretch / keep (except with plain color square) without having to edit the picture itself.

Cheers.
Do you mean something like this?

This is what social networks do with vertical videos of smartphones. Cropping and bluring the image for the background behind the image.
(btw: http://saynotoverticalvideos.com/ Wink )
(2016-01-14, 12:40)sualfred Wrote: [ -> ]Do you mean something like this?

Not really, something like this Smile :

http://paulbourke.net/texture_colour/tiling/

BTW, something like your FTV wallpaper but with the same image attached side by side Wink
Ah, now I get you. I could only speak for me, but I never faced such an scenario where I thought "damn, why don't we have tiling" Wink
The only use case I see, is to use it for patterns like gras or something. Other images like artworks will look terrible.
(2016-01-14, 12:56)sualfred Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, now I get you. I could only speak for me, but I never faced such an scenario where I thought "damn, why don't we have tiling" Wink
The only use case I see, is to use it for patterns like gras or something. Other images like artworks will look terrible.

Sure it's not intended to be used for artworks, but filling a background in <itemlayout> for exemple or an image control fitting a <group> without having to bother having the *.png a sufficient size. I face this scenario really often but that's probably because I used it in almost - if not - all skins I built for other softs.

Today, we are stretching a white square in most of the cases and it works fine because it's plain color but would be great not sticking to just a plain color option Wink

EDIT :

Ex. you can produce some great backgrounds with this kind of patterns :

http://webtreats.mysitemyway.com/8-tilea...-textures/
Yep, you are right.
Currently it only works for plain colors or like Android did it with it's "%s.9.png" with "<texture border="%i,%i,%i,%i">%s</texture>".

Even if I have no need for it (yet), new features are always welcome. +1

I also would welcome my example from above to save a lot of time Wink But I don't wanna hijack your thread.
(2016-01-14, 13:10)sualfred Wrote: [ -> ]I also would welcome my example from above to save a lot of time Wink But I don't wanna hijack your thread.

NP Wink

@Hitcher : Maybe you can launch a new [Feature request] K* feature request thread ? Wink