Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: dolby surround sound
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hello
can anyone help please , i recently brought a new amazon tv box with KODI pre installed , i connected it all up and its seems to be working fine apart from i cant get my surround sound system to play in 5.1 . am i missing something ? are all the films on kodi, streamed in dolby 5.1 surround ? or have i got to search on certain sites ?
this is what iv done so far , iv checked the sound settings inside kodi as per youtube and all set correct , iv spoken to samsung (as my tv and surround system is samsung ) and it seems to be wire up correct.
when i play a movie through amazon it works fine in 5.1 ,,,, but when i play a movie inside kodi it comes out in 2.1 Huh? spent a hole 2 days trying different things and iv still no closer , help needed please . thank you
this may be a stupid question but i think its relevant..

do the video files your playing even contain a 5.1 channel audio track? i ask because Kodi doesnt have any films on it, its just a media player, if you payed a higher price for an amazon fire tv box from a reseller who installed kodi (free app) and a bunch of illegal addons you probably arent going to get help here. Heres some help for you anyways, you can pull up the codec overlay while playing a video with o on a keyboard and that will show you the details of the video playing, the first 2 lines will tell you the audio track playing. if you have a file with 5.1 audio you need to make sure your audio settings are set to passthrough with Dolby Digital and DTS enabled under audio settings.
I think increasingly people think Kodi is a free-film streaming service. Not a media player... It's really worrying.
Where are you getting your movies from?

Have you visited the wiki?
The majority of free streams on the internet originate from a P2P Group called YIFY. While these movies might technically be High Definition, they're by no means high quality! Movies are ripped from the BluRay and crushed down to around 2% of the original size using various video re-encoding methods.

This also means the Audio track is down mixed to 2.0 stereo and compressed in a lossy format, usually MP3.

(2016-01-15, 00:31)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]I think increasingly people think Kodi is a free-film streaming service. Not a media player... It's really worrying.

I agree, too many of these Android STBs are being mis-sold as free streaming players. I believe the free streaming scene is all but dead to be honest. Sites are constantly being blocked or using captcha software that cannot be solved. Most of the great addons like MashUp have left the scene. Hell, even the official catch up players like BBC iPlayer and 4OD are failing with kodi. The content is becoming harder and harder to get and the stuff that's available isn't worth watching.

Anyhoo, back to the topic. Matwom, please answer the following:

What files are you playing?
How do you connect your Box to the surround sound receiver?
(2016-01-18, 21:18)HighStream Wrote: [ -> ]The majority of free streams on the internet originate from a P2P Group called YIFY. While these movies might technically be High Definition, they're by no means high quality! Movies are ripped from the BluRay and crushed down to around 2% of the original size using various video re-encoding methods.

This also means the Audio track is down mixed to 2.0 stereo and compressed in a lossy format, usually MP3.

(2016-01-15, 00:31)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]I think increasingly people think Kodi is a free-film streaming service. Not a media player... It's really worrying.

I agree, too many of these Android STBs are being mis-sold as free streaming players. I believe the free streaming scene is all but dead to be honest. Sites are constantly being blocked or using captcha software that cannot be solved. Most of the great addons like MashUp have left the scene. Hell, even the official catch up players like BBC iPlayer and 4OD are failing with kodi. The content is becoming harder and harder to get and the stuff that's available isn't worth watching.

Anyhoo, back to the topic. Matwom, please answer the following:

What files are you playing?
How do you connect your Box to the surround sound receiver?

Actually Yify just reencodes another groups release meaning you are getting a a reencode of a reenecode. That is if you use their crappy encodes. I rip my own movies using MakeMKV for playback over the network
Do you have a link to the new Amazon TV box (AFTV2?) that came with Kodi pre-installed?
(2016-01-19, 03:53)jakejm79 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have a link to the new Amazon TV box (AFTV2?) that came with Kodi pre-installed?

Amazon don't ship boxes with Kodi installed, nor do they allow Kodi to be in their app store. I'm sure unscrupulous suppliers will buy boxes from Amazon, side load Kodi (and a lot of illegal piracy add-ons) and sell them at a mark-up though...
I know which is why I asked for a link, I'm trying to determine if he even has a AFTV2, if he got one from a reseller or maybe was sold something that isn't a AFTV2.