Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Multiple Files for same Movie ?(4k/3D/HD)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just purchased a new 4K TV so I was looking at getting 4k movie content.

My issue is I share my library over the entire house, 4 tv's and only 1 4K TV. I was wondering if its possible to have a 1080p file and a 4k file, or even a 3D file, as I have a 3D Projector and no 3D TV. Then when i go to play the movie file I pick which quality? Instead of having 2 or 3 of the same movie listed in my library. Has anyone done something similar or is there a better work around?
You could do it with playlists if you have the right folder structure.

eg 1 folder for films with just 1 version.
Another for 3D
Another for 4K
Another for non-3D, non-4K versions of the films you have extra copies of.

Smart playlist 1 points to folders 1 and 4 (for normal telly)
Smart playlist 2 points to folders 1 and 2 for projector.
Smart playlist 3 points to folders 1 and 3 for 4K TV.
Then when you add eg a 4K film, put it in folder 3 and put the original (if any) in 4 - clean and scan the library.

You'd need a skin that lets you put playlists on the home screen, and put the appropriate one there instead of Movies.

I've assumed for the above that you're using a shared database.
If you're using a local database you just set content on the folders relevant to the tv / projector and use the Movies tab.

Just one way, you could use tags - and there are probably other alternatives.
I did wonder about smart playlists. I have to re set up my MySQL shared database so that's how libraries will be shared. I was wondering if there was an easy solution that would prompt you to pick quality when you go to play?

I wondered if Movie Sets would work as well, but again not sure it will work 100% as I imagine it. Thanks for your help
option 1)
Tags combined with a smart playlist - lot of work, as you need to tag your movies.
It might indeed be easier, to move them into different folders

option 2) (haven't figured out yet, what the qualification is)
The movie listing itself, displays the quality of the movie (SD, HD, 3D), itshould be possible to generate a smart play list, filtering on the quality detected?
The UPnP/Media import work that Montellese is working on will have a way of dealing with duplicates like this. Both for that media import project, and as a feature in its own right. I don't know what the status of that specific feature is, but it's something to look forward to :)
(2016-01-15, 11:30)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]The UPnP/Media import work that Montellese is working on will have a way of dealing with duplicates like this. Both for that media import project, and as a feature in its own right. I don't know what the status of that specific feature is, but it's something to look forward to Smile

Great news, I'll stick to a temp solution then.

Thanks for the advice guys
edit: nvm, just read you were already aware of this.

Maybe this: http://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_sets is an option also, you could edit the title of each (identical) movie to reflect the quality.