Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DASH support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know there was a previous discussion on this that ended up in some argument of some sort which produced no results. My question/request is simple: can we somehow add DASH to Krypton and if so how can we do that ? DASH is aparently what is needed to play youtube at higher quality or to view the 3D videos which are starting to gain popularity on the site. If we cannot add DASH then can we maybe bypass the problem using something like youtube-dl ?

Obviously i have no idea what i am talking about since i have 0 experience with coding anything in Kodi, however i (along with others i am sure) would love to have continued use of Youtube within Kodi as well support for higher quality feeds.

So to conclude i appreciate y'allz consideration in regards to this (and for not making too much fun of me) and look forward to hear how i (or we) can help bring something like this to fruition. Thank you!

Best regards!
Peeps are working on it but dash is a horrible thing to do. You have to feed multiple unmuxed streams from an extremely ill-designed xml manifest into the player and player design did not anticipate such nonsense. It seems whatever comittee designed this thing had access to some good shit!
when you say "peeps" i can only imagine the same kind of people you describe came up with "dash"... so then what would be a proper flow for fingering this out ?
(2016-01-14, 22:02)reddyfire Wrote: [ -> ]when you say "peeps" i can only imagine the same kind of people you describe came up with "dash"... so then what would be a proper flow for fingering this out ?

Are you sure fingering is the proper way to solve this? I mean, some might get confused.
How does one finger a problem? And how many fingers are enough to solve said problem? Does the size of the finger matter? I'm only asking because I've been lied to before.
Is one pinkie enough or should one go thumbs up on the problem?

How about toes? I heard some great stories about toes... Do they get to join the party or it's only for their upper posh relatives?
As many fingers as we need to involve in order to get this [feature] to come sooner than later.
MPEG-DASH is definitely looking to be the mainstream streaming protocol for major players - and it's also looking likely for some forms of IPTV. The benefit of it is that it allows multiple streams of different qualities to be provided, with switching between them possible during playback. This means that rather than playback stopping and buffering (which is not great on a live TV stream), the playback is switched to a lower quality, lower bandwidth stream where possible.

The BBC used it as a major part of their 2014 UHD 2160/60p HEVC live streaming tests for IPTV delivery of 4K World Cup content ISTR, and it is being used by Netflix, YouTube etc. (I think BBC iPlayer will also be using it for some platforms)

I guess because it needs to solve multiple problems (on-demand, live etc.) and work in multiple environments it's a bit 'camel = horse designed by committee'?

The main reason it is gaining traction, I believe, is that it is standardised and Open Source, and doesn't require additional licensing over-and-above the codecs used. HLS (a rival multi-stream chunked system used by Apple, and deemed proprietor y by many, though it is now being drafted as an IEEE standard) is based on MPEG2 transport streams, and thus needs those to be licensed for commercial products, and HDS (Adobe's rival) is complex and Flash-y, with the official protocol only available to developers?
I will pick this up. My first idea is to implement an interface in VideoPlayer and crate an extension point for this type of input stream. The actual DASH client could then be implemented by binary addons.
After recent change VideoPlayer os already capable of gapless playback of streams with different quality.
These may be useful http://rdmedia.bbc.co.uk/dash/ondemand/bbb/

BBC Big Buck Bunny test DASH stuff.
https://github.com/bitmovin/libdash/blob...eplayer.ui has enough samples to drive you crazy once you get there. you get to choose between handling that mess on your own or using libdash which looks to be an utter abomination. hurrah.
My idea is to implement an interface and leave the rest to the addons.
Not sure want you exactly want to do, but you know that spiff and I had done apoc already?
no worries ace the poc can easily be moved to an add-on. actually it's my preference but i didnt think you guys wanted to go in that direction.

death to internal libdvd, libbluray, etc!
From what I have seen you have experimented with demuxers in Kodi, right. VideoPlayer supports gapless now, means it can continue a stream of different quality without noticeable effect. You can simply close and open demuxer when switching to a different stream. From VideoPlayer perspective there is not much left to do. The DASH client itself I would leave to an addon.

I think of this as an extension point
https://github.com/notspiff/kodi-cmake/c...d335f24123
Okay, so the addon should provide a muxed stream?
(2016-01-27, 21:52)Ace Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, so the addon should provide a muxed stream?

That was my idea. What I have seen so far there are quite a couple of variants and different libs and cover this all in Kodi could be hard.
Pages: 1 2