Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: SHIELD - Is it possible to override HDMI-CEC buttons?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a Sony TV and a NVIDIA SHIELD where I have Kodi installed. I have everything CEC related turned on so I am able to use my TV's remote with Kodi.

Lots of buttons work just fine, others I'd like to remap to do different things that what they are currently doing and others don't do anything and I'd like to map them.

I've turned on debugging and started pressing buttons that I looked to the log but only basic buttons like down, up, play, return, back, etc, were displayed. Other buttons were not.

Is this not possible?
If you don't see an action when debugging is on, then, I believe, you won't be able to remap what it does.
The TV will only transmit an action for a selection of buttons (which varies according to model).
On the Shield, Kodi does not know that it is CEC, because CEC is handled by the Shield / Android. Kodi just gets the normal buttons. If you want to remap them, you need to remap the normal button, so other remotes / keyboards will "suffer".
The TV probably transmits most of the buttons, but unfortunately the Shield only reacts to a small number of CEC button signals. With my old HTPC and the CEC adapter, I did get most of the buttons but with the shield a number of them do not work any more. I hope they will change that in a future OTA.
That's too bad...

The only buttons I really miss is quick subtitle switch and the context menu, everything else is sufficient for my needs.
I'm missing the same buttons Wink. Although the X comes in handy when deleting files.
I use Kodi 16, so I get context menu with long press on the OK/enter button.
Can't you just use the official kodi keymap add on ? You can map context menu using that
(2016-01-16, 18:46)wweich Wrote: [ -> ]I'm missing the same buttons Wink. Although the X comes in handy when deleting files.
I use Kodi 16, so I get context menu with long press on the OK/enter button.

Yeah, I've noticed that. I'll wait for the stable release though Smile

(2016-01-17, 00:43)Atinkler Wrote: [ -> ]Can't you just use the official kodi keymap add on ? You can map context menu using that

AFAIK, not if the button signals are not passed to Kodi.
I have contextual working on my kodi shield set up..just used the keymap add on
When using a Cubox-i4Pro with Openelec which uses the Pulse CEC driver, my IR remote for Samsung TV passes its "Return" button which Kodi has set as the ContextMenu:

13:15:38 T:1968304128 DEBUG: OnKey: 229 (0xe5) pressed, action is ContextMenu

With the Shield, this same IR remote "Return" button shows nothing in the debug menu--direction, select, and back all work the same. I assume Kodi would show all keys given it by the Nvidia Shield firmware, so this is likely a Shield firmware issue not passing that button press to Kodi

Are others having a similar issue? Any thoughts on where the issue lies: Shield vs Kodi?
Sorry to necro an older post, but this is the trouble I have. I had a Samsung TV. Everything worked great. I could map the extra keys I needed with no problem. It died. I bought a Vizio. Now the keys are not being passed. What can I do? I am using Nvidia Shield. Thanks much in advance. Appreciate the assist.