Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Box for 4K 60fps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear forum members

I look for a mediaplayer box which can do 4K and 60 frames.

Media is supplied via USB stick or external USB SSD.

Nothing else required, no streaming etc.

I dont look for cheap.

maybe you can help

regards
nVidia Shield is probably your best bet at the moment. It's one of the few boxes with 2160/60p HEVC (and H264) decode and HDMI 2.0 2160/60p output. *** Though there are colour space issues introduced by a recent nVidia update I believe ***
I second that Nvidia Shield Android TV Box. It's a killer and just under 200 bucks with both bluetooth remote and game controller. Voice controllable... it's simply a wonder.
Thanks very much for your answers.

There are some boxes having the specs but still cant do it.

I did look at the box already but I could not find any repots testing the 4K60 feature

Anyone of you have real practical experience, e.g using a 4K Beamer or a large scale TV?

thanks a lot and regards
(excuse my english)
Currently the colors of the Shield are all wrong. So it does a lot in real world - but is currently not worth much, cause of the color issues. See the Android forum for more information. As the fix needs to happen by Nvidia - I would not buy one before they actually release a fix ...
thanks fritsch

the color issue can hopefully fixed in software, but 4K and especially 60 frames, it needs power and a plaery which can handle it.
(2016-01-19, 11:56)seaimager Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks very much for your answers.
I did look at the box already but I could not find any repots testing the 4K60 feature

Anyone of you have real practical experience, e.g using a 4K Beamer or a large scale TV?

Not myself, but here you have a review from digital foundry that tried that 4k60fps you want...

Nevertheless I would very much follow fritsch's advise. I myself didn't noticed yet the color issue mentioned, but I do trust his opinion.
For now - to be honest. I can only suggest Intel hardware. The Braswell for example with our upcoming v17 release does everything you want in a perfect way. It passthroughs every supported format, does perfect color, uses low watts, has a low price.

Disadvantages:
- No hevc-10 bit playback, this will come with the new Broxton Atom
- No access to DRM stuff via kodi, but to be fair here also all other OSes need their special applications to watch that.
- If you run Windows on it: no dts-hd / truehd passthrough

I made the experience of what it means if you are dependend on a binary blob once in my life. I would never ever buy something again when I don't exactly know it will be fixed correctly. Here this was my experience: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ar...xbmc&num=2 and yes, it has cost a whole lot of energy for absolutely nothing.
Fritsch - what Braswell boxes or motherboards have HDMI 2.0 outputs, or are you worked my on basis that DisplayPort 2160/60p is enough?
(2016-01-19, 15:55)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Fritsch - what Braswell boxes or motherboards have HDMI 2.0 outputs, or are you worked my on basis that DisplayPort 2160/60p is enough?

None to my knowledge. There is a "hack hardware arround" to add HDMI2.0 for linux boards but last time I checked linux kernel did not properly support it.
So if the OP wants 2160/60p output they'll only get this over DisplayPort not HDMI with current Braswell solutions. DP to HDMI2.0 solutions are beginning to appear though.

If the Intel hack is 4:2:0 HDMI 2.0 over an HDMI 1.4 physical connection (as nVidia added to Kepler and Maxwell cards, and Sony use on early UHD sets) that's good news.