Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Windows] MCE remote XBMCCustomRegis question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Im a MediaPortal user. I have always liked Kodi as well, but for some reason I stuck with Mediaportal.

A fellow MP user was having difficulties with the MCE remote. He was troubled with the fact that some keys did nothing after upgrading to the latest version of mediaportal.
Mediaportal recently switched from a dedicated MCE support to the generic HID input handler which also supports MCE remotes, and more.
So it turns out for some users, the MCE remote didnt work 100% after that anymore, so logically the fault was trying to be found in the change in mediaportal.

After some time digging and trying to find the root cause, it seems not to be Mediaportal related, but Windows registry related. So the question now changed from 'what changed in Mediaportal' to 'What changed the Windows (10) registry'. Then one user (Frankbert, thanks) might have found it. On 1 pc he tried kodi with mce plugin, the other pc he didn't.

To be fair, it is not said kodi plugin is 100% sure to be responsible for the change in registry. It is only the first plausible explanation as a cause which presented itself. It could just as easily be another program which did the trick.

In the Mediaportal forum, the question was raised to inform and try to help Kodi with this.
Personally my first question to the kodi dev would be if he/she could confirm the registry change by the MCE plugin.
Maybe it is possible for an involved kodi dev to drop in and say hello Smile

This is a link to the public MP thread:
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/thread...st-1171545

This is the default windows 10 HID regs exported.
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/attach...ip.174765/

I am no dev, just a simple tester.
By sharing this information across kodi I hope to help both sides Smile

Kind regards,
Edterbak
There's a thread describing the MCERemote plug-in here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=81687

As you'll see it updates the registry so that the eHome remote driver sends keystrokes instead of the rather messy set of HID commands and keystrokes sent by the driver as initially configured. That makes it easier to configure Kodi to respond to button presses on the remote, because it looks like a keyboard.

The downside for other software is that the remote no longer looks like a standard MCE one so, if it's looking for a device using HID commands it will be disappointed. Some buttons will still work (the number buttons, for example) but others won't.

The author of the plug-in anticipated that and provided an option to restore the original registry settings for people that wanted to return to the original HID functions.

FWIW, I've managed to do everything I wanted to do in Kodi by simply setting up actions for the number keys since they are used very little in Kodi and they can be remapped using simple keyboard.xml commands. I've stuck with the eHome remote driver as originally configured.

Andy
Thank you for your response.
I use eventghost