Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi on QNAP media NASes and Hi10p
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm thinking of buying a QNAP media NAS with HDMI output for semibackup, media storage and playback.

The models I have in mind are TS-451 or TS-451+, with a Celeron J1800 or J1900 CPU.

I have lots of media in Hi10p (10bit h264) format that currently must be decoded in software. Nevertheless, some processing, like scaling can be done in hardware, and Intel CPUs have features for this (Intel Quicksync or sth). And there are scant claims that the ability to smoothly play 1080p Hi10p on medium-power CPUs like J1800 depends on efficient use of these hardware features.

I have received no response from QNAP forum whether Kodi on QNAP has access to these hardware features and makes use of them for Hi10p.
I have heard that other media apps like Plex have no access or do not make use of any graphics acceleration on NASes.

Does anyone here have good information on this?
Don't expect it to have HW capabilities for hi10p as almost nothing has
(2016-01-22, 22:56)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]Don't expect it to have HW capabilities for hi10p as almost nothing has

Almost everything has some HW capability for Hi10p. As in some processing can be done by hardware.
Simply switching Hi10p video playback to (albeit lower-quality) hardware scaling made the difference between choppy and smooth on one similar-CPU tablet.

A 2014 forum post said QNAP/Kodi did not use available hardware resources at that time, but Kodi has evolved a lot since then.