Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Buying a Mac Mini - for Kodi ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

i am thinking of buying a Mac Mini that i need to use for other stuff. In the meantime since it needs to run anyhow , i was thinking of installing Kodi on it.

Any suggestions which Modell i should buy ? with an Intel 3000, 4000 or even 5000 Graphics ?

Is any of them capable of running 4k Videos , maybe even 4k60p ?

Thanks for the tipps,
I have an older mini (5,2) which I use to run Kodi and OS X Server. It has an older AMD Radeon 6630 gpu. I can play 4K video but not well. CPU loads are very high and overheating is a problem. I don't have any 4K videos in my library though, so this is a minor issue. My guess is that some of the newer models may handle 4K better. Overall I think the mini makes a great HTPC.
My experience with my Mac Mini is that even 8GB of memory isn't enough, but it seems to be enough on my Macbook Pro.
I think one with 16GB would be sufficient for just about anything.
I'm running a 4,1 mini with 4 gig ram and nvidia geforce 320M and what really improved mine was changing out the HD and putting in an SSD so that it could actually run SATA II which is what my hardware is capable of. The HD was only running at SATA I. Wont do 4K however.
The latest mac mini 2014 will do 4K according to Apple (no 4K at 60hz).
HDMI
You can use 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs at the following resolutions and refresh rates when you connect them to the built-in HDMI port on your Mac:

3840x2160 at 30 Hz
4096x2160 at 24 Hz (mirroring is not supported at this resolution)

I just bought an nvidia shield TV that will do 4k at 60 running kodi. It does HD audio passthrough too. Playback is nice and smooth running Kodi 16 RC1 experimental (HD audio passthrough).
i have a Mac mini 5.2 (2011), processor is not really important, what makes the difference is 16GB memory and a SSD just for the OS.
i think, i don't need to think about new machine, this one is 100% perfect for Kodi e OS X Server to rule the houseSmile
I grabbed a refurb mid 2011 i-5 in 2012 and tossed a 256gb ssd in there. Initially installed bootcamp and windows for use with WMC.
can you control it with a Harmony ?
(2016-01-29, 22:06)DrPepper Wrote: [ -> ]can you control it with a Harmony ?
I purchased a flirc.TV. Very handy to have. I use then with my harmony one as well as the smart control. Can't beat the ease of use