Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: RC1 Stops playing MKV after a few minutes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if I fail to comply to some rules. I would appreceate any advise in that matter.

My problem is the following:

I am running Kodi 16RC1 on my MK808B+ Android TV stick. (Android 4.4)
It is running fine with the Amber Skin.
My files are on a Synology network drive and the database is on a MySQL server.
The stick is connected through Wifi, and before anyone remarks that the reception of the MK808B+ is notoriously bad, the stick is located 30cm (one foot) from my access point, and reception is great.

I have a large number of files, but I noticed that with a lot of them, the playback simply stops after about 10 minutes.
Kodi simply goes back to the home menu.
These files are all MKV files with MP3 sound. Some of them have multiple audio streams and subtitles.
I did not test all my files, so I cannot say if this problem is 100%. So far all the files that I tried.
These files played fine on Kodi 15.2 on the same TV stick and on other media players.
(With Kodi 15.1 i had the problem of missing sound because of a bug in ffmpeg 2.6)
If I restart the movie, it asks me if I want to resume playing at 10:04 minutes and indeed continues where it stopped.

I have not had time to test a lot, and I have no debug logging at this time.

My questions:
- Do other people recognize this problem?
- How do enable and send the proper debug logging for the developers to find the cause of this problem?
- Are there settings that I can change to work around this?

Cheers,
Guys, really?
No one has this problem but me?
I have it on a dozen movies that I tried.

Aparently I have to look for the problem elsewhere.
Can't be my network drive since other clients play fine.
Can't be my network connection since other clients stream without problems.
It can't be the TV-stick because MX player plays the files without hickups.

So what can it be?

Any help?

Cheers
Can't help you but I can tell you how to provide a debug log (wiki)
(2016-01-27, 13:48)NoAlias Wrote: [ -> ]Guys, really?
No one has this problem but me?
I have it on a dozen movies that I tried.

Aparently I have to look for the problem elsewhere.
Can't be my network drive since other clients play fine.
Can't be my network connection since other clients stream without problems.
It can't be the TV-stick because MX player plays the files without hickups.

So what can it be?

Any help?

Cheers

No log no problem.
I had a similar problem, and the reason was no memory on sdcard (I use nocache). The problem is that when you run out of memory kodi doen't tell you, just stops playing Smile

Have a look at the sdcard (internal, unless you specified otherwise), and make sure you have enough space. Or maybe even full ram.. try also closing all apps when you run kodi.

Hope this helps,
Nicola
Thank you Nicola,

I will look into this caching later tonight when the kids are in bed.
I will try no caching first just to see if this is a cause of the problem.
Next I can work with the cachemembuffersize.

I will let you know, and will try to grab some logging if the problem persists.

Cheers,
Yeah, that sounds like the zero cache mode is on. It should be turned off for such devices. It will either just stop playing or sometimes crash. It also will burn out the internal flash memory a lot faster, too.
This message prompted me to update from Kodi 15 to Kodi 16 RC1, and at first I had enough issues (stuttering, buffering and sync issues) that I though I would move back to V15.2 stable, but alas it's not so easy to downgrade, so I decided to give it one more try after I went into settings for the nth time, made one change in settings>system>video output>video blank sync ->to 'none; and seem to be the charm. Watched a 1 hour 720p without issue, threw the video sync back to only while film is playing, and ran into trouble again.

I am running Kodi 16RC1 on my MK808B+plus Android TV stick. (Android 4.4.2) Filness rom

Quote:and before anyone remarks that the reception of the MK808B+ is notoriously bad, the stick is located 30cm (one foot) from my access point, and reception is great.
I had reasonable reception until I moved to the filness rom, go figure.
I fiddled with the settings last night.
I set the buffermode to 2 (so it would not buffer for LAN network and set the cachemembuffersize to 10k.
The internal memory has about 400Mb free, so I figured it would be OK.

Playback was smooth and ran fine......For the first 17 minutes.

So I think that the problem is indeed caused by the buffering. I will check again tonight (This thing is attached to my family TV and I have 2 young daughters so,.......You can figure it out)
I will set the buffermode to 3 (no buffering) and see if that changes anything.

Thank you all for your help and tips.

Cheers
@PatK
I never touched the 'video blank sync' on my device. But playback is smooth with mine.

Thanks for the tip though.

Cheers,
I think I found a cause for this problem, and it is completely not Kodi's fault.
On the TV Stick I installed 'Autostart and Stay' so that Kodi would launch automatically when the device is booted. Even though I did not use the 'stay' part of this app, it would apparently launch Kodi again and again when it stopped running.
And more of a problem: It would apparently start kodi again when a movie is playing.

I removed the app and last night I was able to play a full movie (95 minnutes) without hickups.
I have installed the stable release of Kodi 16 already, but that did not fix this issue earlier.

So, now it seems that it's not kodi's fault at all.

Sorry to bother all of you.

Cheers,
Now, how do I set this thread to solved??