Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NUC with Celeron N3050 too slow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have purchased a NUC with a Celeron N3050 in it and installed Ubuntu 14.04 with Kodi and MythTV. At first all seemed to be running well, but then I noticed a few things.

The first was that when watching live TV, it would every now and then freeze, and then catch back up (sometimes freezing for up to 20 or 30 seconds). So I opened up the system resource monitor and found that every time this happened, at least 1 (if not both) of the cores on the CPU would be maxed out at 100%. Everything else seemed fine. The CPU usage even when not doing much seems to be pretty high as well (up to 80% sometimes).

I tried playing an MKV (think its a H.264) file, and it was not smooth at all as it played. MythTV was recording something at the time, so I am guessing that trying to decode a video while recording was too much for it. I checked again and the CPU was maxed out.

I guess I would love a solution to my issue, however, I'm guessing the only solution is to replace the NUC with an i3/5/7 one (and my money is down the drain on this one)?
debug log (wiki)? That NUC should be able to handle all of those things.
(2016-01-27, 14:55)MicWit Wrote: [ -> ]I have purchased a NUC with a Celeron N3050 in it and installed Ubuntu 14.04 with Kodi and MythTV. At first all seemed to be running well, but then I noticed a few things.

The first was that when watching live TV, it would every now and then freeze, and then catch back up (sometimes freezing for up to 20 or 30 seconds). So I opened up the system resource monitor and found that every time this happened, at least 1 (if not both) of the cores on the CPU would be maxed out at 100%. Everything else seemed fine. The CPU usage even when not doing much seems to be pretty high as well (up to 80% sometimes).

I tried playing an MKV (think its a H.264) file, and it was not smooth at all as it played. MythTV was recording something at the time, so I am guessing that trying to decode a video while recording was too much for it. I checked again and the CPU was maxed out.

I guess I would love a solution to my issue, however, I'm guessing the only solution is to replace the NUC with an i3/5/7 one (and my money is down the drain on this one)?

Visit this thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955
You won't have much fun with a Braswell and 14.04 stock kernel. Follow the guidelines in post #1 and you can really enjoy this system.
(2016-01-27, 19:35)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]debug log (wiki)? That NUC should be able to handle all of those things.

So I started kodi, played a video file (getting 15-18FPS most of the time, though it looked even worse) and uploaded the log (http://xbmclogs.com/pyzfbr7o6#line-11). Does that log look correct?

I agree that it should be able to, however, it looks like there is high CPU usage just using the system monitor (up to 40%), so I'm starting to think its more than Kodi.
(2016-01-27, 21:32)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]Visit this thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955
You won't have much fun with a Braswell and 14.04 stock kernel. Follow the guidelines in post #1 and you can really enjoy this system.

I have gone to the post and read through it, a lot of it is over my head! If it is an issue with the Braswell and the 14.04 stock kernel, maybe I can install a different kernel to fix it? maybe a different version of Ubuntu? I tried to find more info on this and couldn't seem to see anything. Do you know if the Braswell is working on another (desktop) version of Ubuntu? I would really like to stay with the stable desktop Ubuntu.
We have been working with Intel Mesa and VAAPI devs on this. If you want to enjoy your N3050 you can:

1)
follow exactly the steps mentioned in this thread

2)
install OpenElec in the version also mentioned in this thread.
I´ve tested the N3150 and N3700 on Openelec and Windows.

Dunno if its kernel related or gfx driver but on Windows 10 Kodi is running more smooth than on linux.

But i keep on using testbuilds by Milhouse and fritsch as i´ve recognized performance is becoming better and better.... Wink
(2016-01-28, 04:52)MicWit Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-27, 21:32)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]Visit this thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955

I have gone to the post and read through it, a lot of it is over my head! If it is an issue with the Braswell and the 14.04 stock kernel, maybe I can install a different kernel to fix it? maybe a different version of Ubuntu? I tried to find more info on this and couldn't seem to see anything. Do you know if the Braswell is working on another (desktop) version of Ubuntu? I would really like to stay with the stable desktop Ubuntu.

There's a middle ground option that will work "good enough" for most people, and is a bit easier and will last longer. If you're interested just send me a PM. Talking about it in public might cause certain people to have an aneurism because it's not the "right way".
You should be aware that Ned Scott has been removed from team Kodi for really bad behaviour. Now he continues to bother me on the forum despite I told him multiple time he should go out of my way. I consider him not very smart but it's up to you if you want to follow his advice. I won't do so.
I could have sworn I was helping this guy before you were, but okay, if you're going to be rude and ugly about it (and lie), I'm out. Apparently I've given you the impression that I'm trying to bother you, rather than help people. That's unfortunate.
(2016-01-28, 11:42)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]I could have sworn I was helping this guy before you were, but okay, if you're going to be rude and ugly about it (and lie), I'm out. Apparently I've given you the impression that I'm trying to bother you, rather than help people. That's unfortunate.

Bye bye. Stop requesting logs, you can't interpret them correctly anyway.
ouch
(2016-01-28, 11:50)flekz Wrote: [ -> ]ouch

...indeed... Undecided