Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Skylake (6th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Cannon lake is far far away.. like 2018 probably. Kaby Lake is coming this year will do full hw decoding 4K HEVC 10bit and VP9, HDCP 2.2..
(2016-02-12, 17:17)cucol Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, i changed my nuc5i5 (broadwell) for a nuc6i5 (skylake) and i got a lot of trouble too. Same Windows 10 x64 and while using the older nuc there was no problems at all, now with the skylake one, i have micro stutter (frame drops) and big audio problems, like stoping a movie and lose all audio. Until full windows reboot. Or closing kodi and never close at all, need to end task to go desktop.

Im pretty sure thouse are crappy intel vga drivers bugs. I tried last beta ones, .4380 and now i dont loose audio and kodi closes fine everytime but still get a lot of frame drops, like the ones when you dont activate "change refresh rate on start/stop" and "v-sync", wich i checked and are on.

Everything was smooth on broadwell nuc but now this is hell.

Sorry for my english Smile

Do you still have the problems? Anyone else who has these problems?I also consider to buy a nuc6i5 (skylake). But I'm a little bit concerned about the reported problems with Kodi.
(2016-03-20, 15:49)omnium Wrote: [ -> ]Image

Is there a general problem with Kingston hyperx memory or is this with the 8Gb model only?
So at this point is it just best to wait for Kaby Lake if you want 4k 10-bit HDR H.265 support? I purchased a Samsung JS8500 in the fall and it supports this functionality. I am currently using an older Sandy Bridge SFF PC and would like to replace it with a PC that supports 4K and HDR.
(2016-03-21, 18:18)raidflex Wrote: [ -> ]So at this point is it just best to wait for Kaby Lake if you want 4k 10-bit HDR H.265 support?
I think so. Is Kaby Lake next, or is Cannon Lake? Or is Kaby Lake just Skylake v2?
(2016-03-21, 18:43)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-21, 18:18)raidflex Wrote: [ -> ]So at this point is it just best to wait for Kaby Lake if you want 4k 10-bit HDR H.265 support?
I think so. Is Kaby Lake next, or is Cannon Lake? Or is Kaby Lake just Skylake v2?

Its basically Skylake with HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, and USB 3.1.
Well, mine was running pretty stable. Only problem was weird audio sync issue but no crashes or performance issues.

Today while running Kodi I got my first WHEA blue screen. Only even it froze at the collecting data part and that's the last video signal I got out of the NUC. It still powers on but I get no video, I guess it's RMA time.
>System-SSM (6Gb/s): Plextor M6G 128GB €70 / Crucial MX200 250GB/500GB €100/175
>System-SSM (10Gb/s): Plextor M6E-2280 128GB/256GB/512GB €100/190/340

Hey everyone,
firstly, thanks for all your comments. I am a noob, but am confident I can get this thing going. I just have a few questions before ordering.

OS
I plan on installing Kubuntu and have the necessary downloads + upgrade already downloaded for the bios.

hardware;
I decided to get the NUC6i5SYH - seems to be good enough (pretty darn good!)
My thoughts were SSD drive for the OS and apps, 2.5" drive for data (as well as an already existing NAS)
I am thinking 128gb is plenty of space for that. am I right here?
SSD what will the difference be on a 6Gb/s vs. 10Gb/s? Sure, 10Gb/s is faster and about twice the price, but will I notice a difference?

HDD 2.5":
Speed: will 5400 be fast (enough)? is 2TB the highest made at easy to pay prices?
I was looking at this baby http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/weste...57900.html

RAM
16gb the way to go?

Any other suggestions highly appreciated.
(2016-03-23, 13:48)TheSaint67 Wrote: [ -> ]>System-SSM (6Gb/s): Plextor M6G 128GB €70 / Crucial MX200 250GB/500GB €100/175
>System-SSM (10Gb/s): Plextor M6E-2280 128GB/256GB/512GB €100/190/340

Hey everyone,
firstly, thanks for all your comments. I am a noob, but am confident I can get this thing going. I just have a few questions before ordering.

OS
I plan on installing Kubuntu and have the necessary downloads + upgrade already downloaded for the bios.

hardware;
I decided to get the NUC6i5SYH - seems to be good enough (pretty darn good!)
My thoughts were SSD drive for the OS and apps, 2.5" drive for data (as well as an already existing NAS)
I am thinking 128gb is plenty of space for that. am I right here?
SSD what will the difference be on a 6Gb/s vs. 10Gb/s? Sure, 10Gb/s is faster and about twice the price, but will I notice a difference?

HDD 2.5":
Speed: will 5400 be fast (enough)? is 2TB the highest made at easy to pay prices?
I was looking at this baby http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/weste...57900.html

RAM
16gb the way to go?

Any other suggestions highly appreciated.

What else will you be doing other than Kodi? 16GB is massive overkill for purely Kodi purposes. Loads of us are very happy with 2GB in our Chromeboxes with no major limitations. Similarly I run OpenElec with few problems on a 16GB SSD on a Chromebox. I wouldn't recommend a drive that small for Ubuntu purposes - but equally you may be fine with a smaller drive (though larger drives are sometimes a bit quicker as they effectively use multiple flash chips in an internal, invisible to the user, RAID style configuration to speed up access)
RAM: Just Kodi. - 2gb : This will handle high end graphic throughput? apologies if this is a non sequitur, I don't know much about architecture.
SSD: I was lookin at 128gb for the OS drive - question was more will the 6gb/s be fine or need the 10Gb/s speed?
(2016-03-23, 14:49)TheSaint67 Wrote: [ -> ]RAM: Just Kodi. - 2gb : This will handle high end graphic throughput? apologies if this is a non sequitur, I don't know much about architecture.

What are you doing with your platform? Kodi isn't high-end in graphic throughput terms - it's pretty basic and doesn't require a massively powerful GPU (deinterlacing and scaling are probably the most taxing tasks) and doesn't consume a lot of RAM.

Quote:SSD: I was lookin at 128gb for the OS drive - question was more will the 6gb/s be fine or need the 10Gb/s speed?
What are you doing with your platform? If you are just running Kodi then apart from a few seconds difference in boot time - potentially - you may not see a huge difference once up and running as Kodi is not hugely disk intensive AIUI. 6Gbs is still very quick.

Of course if you are doing other stuff that needs lots of RAM and lots of disk access - then that's a different matter. Kodi isn't hugely demanding in either regard.
I am planning on running couchpotato, Sonarr, Sabnzb and Oznzb.
(2016-03-23, 15:15)TheSaint67 Wrote: [ -> ]I am planning on running couchpotato, Sonarr, Sabnzb and Oznzb.

Afraid I don't run any of those - so can't comment on their requirement for RAM or disk intensive use. (I pay for all the content I consume)
(2016-03-12, 20:58)smitopher Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-12, 08:09)rickyman Wrote: [ -> ]can i play x265 1080p with my i3 skylake intel nuc or not?
Yes you can.
I can play x265 1080p on my nuc Pentium.
I'm running a dev build of openelec available at http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955

i am wondering can i play 1080p x265 8bits and 10bits color also?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11