Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Skylake (6th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
(2016-03-27, 20:00)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]Quick question.

Buy skylake now or wait for kabylake?

I can't think of a good reason to buy a Skylake-based system now, given it's limitations (8-bit HEVC, no HDMI 2.0) and knowing the Kaby Lake is right around the corner, unless you have no problem replacing it 6 months from now.
(2016-03-27, 22:32)Matt Devo Wrote: [ -> ]

I can't think of a good reason to buy a Skylake-based system now, given it's limitations (8-bit HEVC, no HDMI 2.0) and knowing the Kaby Lake is right around the corner, unless you have no problem replacing it 6 months from now.
Thanks!

I guess it sounds like wait..
Just a copy of my comment from another thread.
Probably someone with better knowledge can also comment on it, but Intel community forums are full of reports of dying NUC's (even people who claimed that their NUC is fine later came on to report that it died).
Just search for WHEA error and see the number of reports.
As well as this PCN for I3 and I5 NUC's saying that Intel will change 3 capacitor's values (due in april?) suggests a major problem in the design. Then again this post on Intel Community forums says that Intel are not positive this change will completely solve the WHEA issue, and further investigations are going on.

So I think we would be safer opting for 5th gen or waiting kaby lake?

Edit: Also this page that shows Intel is currently working on this WHEA issue but still hasn't identified or corrected the problem (last update on 21-March is basically suggesting to revert the update before Big Grin)
(2016-03-17, 12:00)_Spook_ Wrote: [ -> ]There has been some info leaked about the new Skull Canyon with i7 and FINALLY HDMI 2.0:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/n...brief.html

Getting one! Smile

Hi,

I see you own a NUC6i5SYK… I own a NUC6I5SYH… I think we both know about the temperature ‘problems’ at this device (and what will be the real performance at the IRIS 540)…
If I have a look at the NUC6i7KYK I would say: “Yes, a powerful device… at the specs… If you also want to have it at the reality then you have to use it at a freezer…” Wink
(2016-03-23, 13:48)TheSaint67 Wrote: [ -> ]:
I decided to get the NUC6i5SYH - seems to be good enough (pretty darn good!)
:
HDD 2.5":
Speed: will 5400 be fast (enough)? is 2TB the highest made at easy to pay prices?
I was looking at this baby http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/weste...57900.html

RAM
16gb the way to go?

Any other suggestions highly appreciated.

BE CAREFUL, because 9,5mm is the maximum (so the western-digital-wd-green-mobile-2tb doesn’t fit) => https://geizhals.de/?cat=hde7s&xf=1293_9...500#xf_top
I’m using the
Kingston HyperX Impact DDR4 16GB : 2 x 8GB (HX421S13IBK2/16) (DRAM from SK Hynix)
and it seems that this is the best choice at the moment
(2015-06-01, 11:06)omnium Wrote: [ -> ]:
Option:
Data-HDD (2,5", 24/7): Western Digital Red 750GB / 1TB / 2TB €50 / €65 / €110
:

9,5mm is the maximum (so the western-digital-wd-green-mobile-2tb doesn’t fit) => https://geizhals.de/?cat=hde7s&xf=1293_9...500#xf_top
(2016-03-20, 17:57)Caramba69 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-20, 15:49)omnium Wrote: [ -> ]Image

Is there a general problem with Kingston hyperx memory or is this with the 8Gb model only?

just not with the Kingston HyperX (e.g. Impact DDR4 16GB : 2 x 8GB (HX421S13IBK2/16) (DRAM from SK Hynix)) but with many other modules…
(2016-03-27, 22:52)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-27, 22:32)Matt Devo Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks!

I think you should definitely WAIT because of all the trouble with the NUC6i at the moment and if I’m you I also would wait some month before buying a ‘Kaby Lake’ NUC…
I have to say it’s my first and my last NUC (I thought a big company like Intel with all the smart people who are working there should be able to design a stable system… but I think I’m wrong)…
(2016-03-29, 15:26)no_spam_for_me Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-27, 22:52)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-27, 22:32)Matt Devo Wrote: [ -> ]I can't think of a good reason to buy a Skylake-based system now, given it's limitations (8-bit HEVC, no HDMI 2.0) and knowing the Kaby Lake is right around the corner, unless you have no problem replacing it 6 months from now.
Thanks!

I think you should definitely WAIT because of all the trouble with the NUC6i at the moment and if I’m you I also would wait some month before buying a ‘Kaby Lake’ NUC…
I have to say it’s my first and my last NUC (I thought a big company like Intel with all the smart people who are working there should be able to design a stable system… but I think I’m wrong)…

NUC6i5SYH was going to be my next purchased, if I wasn't waiting for Kabylake,what kind of issue are you having with that one?
What is known points that the capacitors are there to widen compatibility with DDR4 modules, not to fix WHEA errors. And yeah, Intel is getting desperate, about those, they don't know why it's happening. Unless someone wants to go through pain, I recommend not buying them.
(2016-03-29, 15:47)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]NUC6i5SYH was going to be my next purchased, if I wasn't waiting for Skylake,what kind of issue are you having with that one?

As @movi already wrote WHEA errors… many problems with different ram-modules (they tried to fix it with a new BIOS setting where, and it seems also Intel, nobody know how it works because Intel changed the default/what you should use (https://communities.intel.com/thread/100093 )), buggy BIOS versions (e.g. I had this situation https://communities.intel.com/thread/99771 and others overheated there devices), because of heat e.g. also this https://communities.intel.com/thread/99947 , and so on… Last but not least Linux https://communities.intel.com/message/383020#383020
Some of the user have meanwhile their second replacement…
Hi, i got my nuc6i3syk and installed everything. Now i have a strange problem. When i shut down the nuc it reboots 3 or 4 sec. after shutdown by itself. It is equal If i shutdown over my ir remote or directly with windows. Any idea?

Edit: Problem fixed: Deactivate Wake on Lan!
(2016-04-02, 22:12)DeejayT Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, i got my nuc6i3syk and installed everything. Now i have a strange problem. When i shut down the nuc it reboots 3 or 4 sec. after shutdown by itself. It is equal If i shutdown over my ir remote or directly with windows. Any idea?

Can you playback 4k HEVC videos in Kodi?
(2016-04-04, 10:50)Caramba69 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-02, 22:12)DeejayT Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, i got my nuc6i3syk and installed everything. Now i have a strange problem. When i shut down the nuc it reboots 3 or 4 sec. after shutdown by itself. It is equal If i shutdown over my ir remote or directly with windows. Any idea?

Yes you can, but it's not the best implementation for it in Kodi 16. Try the Krypton builds flying around here (still in alpha) if you want to play around with HEVC codec.
(2016-04-04, 11:28)_Spook_ Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-04, 10:50)Caramba69 Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes you can, but it's not the best implementation for it in Kodi 16. Try the Krypton builds flying around here (still in alpha) if you want to play around with HEVC codec.

Is DXVA2 supported for Intel?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11