Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Jarvis - official release won't set 1360*768 resolution; Gotham, Helix, Isengard OK
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings,

The short of my inquiry is to see if anyone is running a similar setup and has experienced the following issue with all beta and release candidate versions of Jarvis on Windows. (And maybe knows of a solution?)

Please skip to post #5...

Here’s my system details…

Version : Kodi 16 RC2

CPU : Intel Core i3-2330M 64bit

RAM : 4GB

Reproduce error : Install Kodi (any 16 beta or RC or official version) and run in portable mode, or run as administrator in portable mode (Installed in C:\Kodi16\).

Devices : Asus x44h laptop. Intel HD Graphics 3000 with driver version 9.17.10.4229 from May 2015 (originally an older driver from 2013 was installed, and in trouble-shooting got updated to this version, the results are the same either way). Realtek High Definition Audio with driver version 6.0.1.7246 from May 2014.

Debug Log : See post #5

Thanks for reading.
I have the same problem. Been running Isengard up until now without a problem, but when I tried both Jarvis RCs, I get a black screen and I have to kill it.
I was installing on a fresh Windows 7 ultimate sp1 x64 install. HW: Intel core2duo e7200, radeon hd 6450 with the crimson drivers, 4mb ram.
Still troubleshooting...

Since posting I've done two things.

The first thing I tried was wiping the drive (thanks dban) followed by a factory restore. I then immediately installed Kodi 16 RC2. Unfortunately, with the same results. Going further I then installed the latest available drivers for each of the built-in peripheral devices (video, audio, lan, etc.) that are available from the laptop manufacturer. That also resulted the in the same issue. I then installed the latest available drivers available for each device from the actual individual device manufacturer (Intel graphics, Intel audio, Atheros lan, etc). That also resulted the in the same issue.

At this point I tried XBMC 13 Kodi 14 and 15 again witch do not exhibit this problem, and as stated above were ok on the original setup.

In my last effort of the day I tried wiping the disk again and installing Windows from scratch (not factory restore) and again using the latest drivers from actual individual device manufacturers to no avail. XBMC 13, Kodi 14 & 15 all run a-ok here too.

I have a couple other things I want to try, but I'm burnt at this point. Perhaps I will have more info in the near future.
My immediate thought is graphics driver. Might want to try setting to software acceleration on an early working Kodi prior to the install, should hold for Jarvis. The debug can be silent on startup with this

<advancedsettings>
<loglevel>2</loglevel> <!-- Change this to "1" to hide the on-screen debug log text -->
</advancedsettings>

in the advancedsettings.xml file. advancedsettings.xml (wiki)

If Kodi is stumbling on gfx it will show up.Supported hardware (wiki)
PatK - Thank you for the advice.

I finally got around to trying this out and have found the following.

RC3 was released since I last checked in, so I removed RC2 and moved on to RC3. RC3 does not exhibit the same behavior as RC2 on this system. It will run after an install without issue.

This did lead to another problem, that also seems graphics related. That is, KODI won't set the GUI resolution output to 1360*768 on the HDMI output. Nor will it set the full-screen video resolution to 1360*768 on the HDMI output. It appears to set the resolution to 1920*1080 as reported by the monitor (TV), even if KODI reports 1360*768 in the options. (This is a native 1366*768 panel that will scale any input, albeit poorly, and reports the resolution correctly even if it's above native)

If I toggle full-screen window, it will *sometimes* run at 1360*768 in full-screen window, but never actual full-screen. Either way this is not an option for me due to screen tare, or frame motion problems if vsync is enabled. I require true fullscreen and vsync on this system for correct results. It is also unreliable as it will only switch to 1360*768 1 in 20 toggles, and not maintain upon a reboot.

Here is a proper debug log -> http://goo.gl/i0m55f

For comparison, XBMC 13, KODI 14 & 15 do not exhibit this problem on the same system.

The Windows desktop does not exhibit this issue, nor does VLC or MPC-HC in full-screen video modes.

Thanks again for the suggestion(s)!
Not a lot of difference between the release candidates of Jarvis that I've found, but then I haven't got your system Smile Glad it worked out in that regard. Your other issue is not going to be as easy to solve unfortunately Displays (wiki). Especially as this is an older set with that native resolution, and it probably has some electronics that handles and interprets the incoming display and re-sizes for best fit, and I would NOT be surprised to know that 'overscan' is the villain here. To mix this up even more the 3000 series gfx are challenged. Try setting up for 1280x720 and see what that looks like? You really need to configure your whole desktop around the TV display, boot directly into it, and use windows display driver to maximize the desktop, the when you launch Kodi in a window, it should pick up the same settings (aspect not with standing) then using the slash key for full screen, that size can be configured inside Kodi. Let's trya few of these ideas and see what the results can be.
Purloined from a recent post by Popcornmix
Quote:If your TV is overscanned and you fix it with kodi calibration a 1080p video on a 1080p TV will be resized twice and appear soft (blurry).
If you fix it at the TV end (it may be called "just scan", "screen fit", "HD size", "full pixel", "unscaled", "dot by dot", "native" or "1:1") then the image will be unscaled and much sharper.
PatK - Thanks again!

We can confidently rule out over-scan as the issue. The monitor won’t allow ‘dot-4-dot’ (that’s what this set calls it) mode when the resolution is set above 1366*768 by the source. ‘Dot-4-dot’ is the mode I use with the current XBMC 13 install that’s on it (and also on the KODI 14 & 15 test installs on the same machine). Also, regardless of the picture mode set, the monitor still reports the incoming resolution being set by the source.

Before reading your post, I tried various other resolutions with 768 as the vertical common. They all work OK. (1280*768 : 1024*768). But then I either get large black pillar bars on the sides of the image (dot-4-dot) or I get blurry output if I stretch and aspect correct with KODI or the TV. It appears to only affect 1360*768 and / or 1366*768 (the true native resolution of the panel). With XBMC 13 I deal with very small black pillar bars so I can use dot-4-dot and not induce any smear or blur (3px missing on both sides doesn’t bother me as it isn’t noticeable from my viewing distance).

Unfortunately, the panel is not old (under a year) otherwise I would consider replacing it. It has a decent picture and functions correctly with anything but Jarvis.
Today I tried “OpenELEC-RPi2.arm-7.0-devel-20160222181306-r22232-g4d03b5a” on a Rpi2, and it works with the panel correctly at 1360*768 (and 1366*768 oddly enough). With that I am starting to think that something new (DirectX?) has broken compatibility with ye olde Intel 3000 gfx.

Perhaps I will try OpenELEC on the laptop when a Jarvis build becomes official and I’m feeling some moji to tinker with KODI again. All the tinkering is starting to threaten the WAF, so I have to cool it for a little while. Not to mention I’m burnt on it and would like to do more media enjoying and less tinkering.

Thanks so much for your insight, I appreciate it. If you think of anything else, I am certainly listening.
I'd like to help out but I'm drained, once it starts feeling like work instead of a hobby, it's time to take a break. Looks like you have the issue mostly in hand, strange that you got this 720p panel close to new, but I've heard other weirdness... the other day I saw a 4:3 aspect LCD, now those black bars would be awful. I'm keeping my eyes out for 4K but the dust hasn't settled just yet.
Pat: theres some crackers to be had for not alot of cash, i just sold one of mine for my dream display, the LG i sold was actually superb except a few little things. im sticking with LG tho just going big.