Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xbox 360 media remote
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Im looking to upgrade my remote from a mele f10 to this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Xbox-36...B005F28GYU

Im currently running openelec 6.0.0 and cant find a clear answer on whether this particular remote will just work out the box or if its going to be difficult.

Im also assuming it doesnt come with an ir receiver and i'll have to buy one but iv no idea if i need a specific one.

Can anyone help me out, id really love to upgrade to something with clearly marked buttons that work but it seems a bit of a minefield.
You'll need either a FLIRC (which will cope with pretty much any IR remote - as you use a PC/Mac app to get it to learn the IR codes you want to map to keyboard buttons) or an RC6 MCE type IR receiver I think. I've not use the black Xbox 360 remote with an RC6, but both the large and small white 360 Media remotes work with that style of receiver, as do normal MCE RC6 remotes. That said - I'm not sure how common RC6 receivers are without a bundled remote.

However Maplin have a good deal on their RC6 IR receiver + remote combo at the moment : http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/windows-media-...trol-a49ha £9.99 for the bundle. I've got a couple of these and the receiver is great. The remotes are quite cheap and only last a couple of years of daily use before the buttons start to go a bit intermittent (I have been running Media Center on a Windows box with them for years), but the receiver is very good (and cheaper than a FLIRC)

On a Raspberry Pi 2 or x86 box running OpenElec they work out of the box.
Works great out of the box on OpenELEC with either MCE receiver here:
http://kodi.wiki/view/List_of_MCE_remote_controls
(Both black Microsoft and silver HP)

Positives:
-can program to TV (power, input, volume)

Negatives:
-no "stop" button
-no backlight like on XBone remote
-"live TV" button sends same code as one colour button
"guide" button sends same code another colour button
Thanks dongle style ones arent really suitable for my setup but the microsoft one looks good.

Is there an easy way to tell if it is an rc6 one, are all mce ir receivers rc6?

Trying to find one at a good price, ideally dont want to be paying more for the receiver than on a remote.
I have tried this remote.. its really cheaply made to be quite frank.. the d pad is garbage on this thing.

Just my opinion..
(2016-01-30, 17:03)ianuk2005 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks dongle style ones arent really suitable for my setup but the microsoft one looks good.

Is there an easy way to tell if it is an rc6 one, are all mce ir receivers rc6?

Trying to find one at a good price, ideally dont want to be paying more for the receiver than on a remote.

All genuine MCE remotes and Xbox 360 remotes are RC6 protocol, as would be a One4All, Logitech etc. remote running an MCE profile.

If you are in the UK the £9.99 deal at Maplin is very good value even if you only use the receiver and buy a nice One4All or similar remote to use instead of the bundled one.
Thanks for helping im looking at some cheap non brand mce ones that are a few quid but i think i mighr avoid them and get a hp receiver for £8.

No doubt the maplin deal is very good, but I need a receiver with a wire as my htpc is in an enclosed shelf. Plus I dont think i would ever get use of the remote.

Im hoping its a step up from my mele as its not good layout and buttons arent clearly marked. The main sell for the 360 one for me is clearly marked buttons for guide/live tv etc without too many buttons.

You would think by now that there would be a few kodi specific remotes with nice layouts and marked buttons Big Grin.