Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Path substitution for Thumbs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, I'm using Kodi on a Philips Android TV and i was wondering how can substitute the thumbnails folder which by default is on the internal storage on the tv (which has only 500 MB of usable storage left) to an USB stick.
I have found this on the kodi wiki, but i don't know what might be the correct syntax of the current path and the new path which the existing and new thumbs would be copied/stored

Main page: Path substitution
Path substitution is another advancedsettings.xml tag. If you simply need more space for Kodi's files but don't wish to limit the image quality then you can use path subs to relocate the images to another drive. The cached images in the Thumbnails folder takes up the most amount of space of all the different Kodi files, so using pathsubs on that folder alone is often all you need to do. It's even possible to use a network file share path, but it is recommended that you use another local drive, if possible, for performance reasons.
If you have not made an advancedsettings.xml file before, see the example in the above section #Limit the size of cached images.
Note: If you have an existing advancedsettings.xml file, make sure the <pathsubstitution></pathsubstitution> tags are between the main <advancedsettings></advancedsettings> tags.
<advancedsettings>
<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>special://profile/Thumbnails/</from>
<to>smb://10.0.0.3/Thumbnails/</to>

</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>
Current <from>path should be fine.

For the <to> path make the folder you want to use for thumbs on your usb stick, navigate to it in your android file manager and see what the address is - eg you might end up with 'storage/USB1/kodi/Thumbnails'. Stick that in your advanced settings.xml. Copy the contents of your thumbnails folder into the new folder.
Now back up so if it goes pear-shaped you can revert changes:
Re-name your original thumbnails folder to thumbnails.old.
Navigate to your userdata/database folder and make a backup of the textures.db file.

Now start kodi.
If it's all working correctly then you might see kodi create a new Thumbnails folder in the userdata folder (not sure) but it won't put any thumbs in there. If it's all working nicely you can delete your old thumbnails folder and the backup you took of textures.db. If not then stick a debug log up.

Edit:
Just a thought - are you aware of this...?
HOW-TO:Change_data_location_for_Android (wiki)
Moving the whole data directory might make more sense for you.
Moving this to a more appropriate sub forum.
Thank you sir Smile i will try that tomorrow and i will see how it goes and report back.

Update - I'm still tinkering with this, i have an issue, the 4 Gb usb stick i chose is the slowest thing on earh, i will update my progress.

Sorry for the thread being in the wrong place, i didn't knew where should I put it