Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Deinterlacing Explained

Progressive vs. Interlaced Scan

Doom9 Forum: Deinterlacing is the process of converting interlaced video, such as common analog television signals or 1080i format HDTV signals, into a non-interlaced (progressive) form. Interlaced sources are measured in fields per second that is equal to double the stored frame rate.

Deinterlacing is applied to content of two types:

Film: Film is photographic material produced for the cinema. It originated at 23.976 frames/second and has been converted to video, or telecined to 29.97 fps, for showing on 59.94 Hz NTSC TVs. Alternatively, film is sped up 4.2% to 25 fps for showing on 50 Hz PAL TVs.

Video: This is content shot on video for TVs. The frame rate used reflects the region in which it is produced. NTSC content, found in most of North and South America and East Asia, employs 59.94 half-frames, or fields per second and 525 horizontal lines per frame or 262.5 per field. PAL is a European TV format using 50 half-frames, or fields per second. Both NTSC and PAL interlaced video is broadcast at 480i or 1080i with a frame rate of 59.94i (= 29.97 fps) or 50i (= 25 fps).

Deinterlacing a video source captured at 59.94 fields per second and stored as 29.97 fps interlaced will result in a doubling of the frame rate after deinterlacing (29.97 x 2 = 59.94 fps). An interlaced signal shows a single frame of video as two half-frames. A good deinterlacer adds new frames to match each half-frame.

Removing interlaced frames from 23.976 fps film interpolated to 29.97 fps, such as NTSC DVD and broadcast movies and television is possible by using inverse telecine (IVTC). IVTC removes all telecined frames to restore the original 23.976p frame rate of film-based interlaced sources.

More Detail on Deinterlacing Methods
(2016-12-06, 19:55)Warner306 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-12-06, 18:57)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry for my ignorance just don't know when to start, the thread leads me a different site with more information and so on, all I need is to set Kodi up to play HDR files and 3D MVC with support with all the Audio format.

Thanks!

madVR might be too complex for what you want. It takes a lot tinkering and reading to master.

So there no basis tutorial for newbies?
movie78, maybe it is easier to tell us first on which point on setting up madVR and Kodi DSPlayer you are?

1.) Have you installed Kodi DSPlayer - Jarvis?

2.) Have you installed the latest madVR version? Download the zip, extract the folder and install madVR by clicking on "install.bat"

Thats the very basic installation and the starting point for your purpose of 4k and 3D, as well bitstream audio output. Do not bother with Reclock or other custom filters at this point.

A really "quick and dirty" setup for at least full 3D output (it needs some more work for 4k):

0.) Get a keyboard and a mouse ready, because many settings are easier accessible via Windows.

1.) For testing purpose run Kodi DSplayer in portable mode ("C:\your_installation_path_of_Kodi_DS\kodi.exe -p") and run Kodi in a window (by pressing "Return" and "Alt") to have easier access to all filter settings in Windows.

2.) In Kodi go to Settings -> Video -> DSplayer and just follow Warner306 instructions in post#2 up until the point "Adding Custom Filters".

3.) Now setup up the LAV video and audio filters under: Video -> DSPlayer -> Filters management -> Internal filters. Follow exactly Warner306's 3rd post up until "- Extra external filter" for video acceleration (expect 3D content) and audio bitstream output.

4. Do not close your Kodi window, just minimise it and go into you madVR folder (the zip you extracted earlier). Open "madHcCtrl.exe" and have a closer look on your Windows taskbar besides the clock. Click on the madVR symbol and now the real fun begins. Basically this tutorial explained all the details. Just change some of the options while you playing a video in the Kodi window and you can see all the changes instantaneously. Warner306 is right, it needs some time to figure all out, but believe me, it is more than worth it. Smile

Maybe at the beginning you find my madVR settings good to get started. Download my "settings.bin" and put it in the madVR folder and restart your computer. My settings are good enough if you display resolution is 1080p and you want to watch full-frame 3D movies. However, I do not use 4k content and therefore my settings do not meet all you needs, but 3D output should be fine as long as you set up your display resolution to 1080p in the Windows display settings and you CPU is strong enough for software decoding. Furthermore, I only tested 3D output with MVC-mkv files and the file name needs to include the string ".3D" (with the dot!)

In order to get 4k video output, you need to understand the profile settings in madVR first. Because there need to be different video settings for different video content (SD, 720p, HD, 4k...). Follow post #7 closely: Link.

I hope, this information does not confuse you more and instead helps you get started. Good luck and happy tinkering Smile
@bollstedt

Looks like I have a lot of learning and reading to do, thanks for all your help!!!
After upgrading my gpu to a gtx1060 (from onboard) i have several problems with starting a movie.
It takes nearly 20 secs to start the movie. After 5 secs i already hear the sound but no video.
After 20 secs all is fine and in sync.

I think it is somehow related to the refresh rate, Full Screen Exclusive Mode or an driver issue.

I use the recent version of DSplayer, madvr and sanear. Disabling dspalyer and using dvdplayer leads to a drastical improvments but still not as fast as with the onboard card.

Any hints where to start?
(2016-12-09, 12:34)Sylus Wrote: [ -> ]After upgrading my gpu to a gtx1060 (from onboard) i have several problems with starting a movie.
It takes nearly 20 secs to start the movie. After 5 secs i already hear the sound but no video.
After 20 secs all is fine and in sync.

I think it is somehow related to the refresh rate, Full Screen Exclusive Mode or an driver issue.

I use the recent version of DSplayer, madvr and sanear. Disabling dspalyer and using dvdplayer leads to a drastical improvments but still not as fast as with the onboard card.

Any hints where to start?

Switch off refresh rate switching. Switch between Kodi and madVR handling refresh switching.
i m going crazy.....

no image doubling tap

I intsalled madvr in 2 pc windows 10, my goal is to convert 1080 to 2160 or more (with madvr, kodi dsplayer)
but on madvr on under scalling taps there is no IMAGE DOUBLING tap...

how to activate ? what i m missing ??

my conf is:
intel 4790k
nvidia 1070
win10
24gig ram
120 sdd
(2016-12-13, 13:44)oxynaz Wrote: [ -> ]i m going crazy.....

no image doubling tap

I intsalled madvr in 2 pc windows 10, my goal is to convert 1080 to 2160 or more (with madvr, kodi dsplayer)
but on madvr on under scalling taps there is no IMAGE DOUBLING tap...

how to activate ? what i m missing ??

my conf is:
intel 4790k
nvidia 1070
win10
24gig ram
120 sdd

Image doubling is now under Image Upscaling. NGU is at the bottom of the list and the one I would recommend.
THANK YOU

so it's ok if I set:
image upscaling --> NGU

algorithm quality
luma = high
chroma = high

algorithm to use after doubling:
upscaling= jinc ar
downscaling = lanzcos 3 ar

should I activate the 200% super sampling ??

Why is there a setting for downscaling ? my goal is to upscale my 1080p mkv movies to 2160p or more

for the other settings it s ok with this Huh:
chroma upscaling = jinc ar
image downscaling = jinc ar

and last questions,
under TV dispay modes, should i write someting ? or it s ok empty (my tv is a sony 4k 55')
and in kodi settings, should i enable "auto adapt screen resolution to content..."

regards,
(2016-12-13, 20:32)oxynaz Wrote: [ -> ]THANK YOU

so it's ok if I set:
image upscaling --> NGU

algorithm quality
luma = high
chroma = high

upscaling= jinc ar

Why is there a setting for downscaling ? my goal is to upscale my 1080p mkv movies to 2160p or more

and last questions,
under TV dispay modes, should i write someting ? or it s ok empty (my tv is a sony 4k 55')
and in kodi settings, should i enable "auto adapt screen resolution to content..."

regards,

Calibrating NGU

To calibrate NGU, turn Luma quality to its maximum value (very high) and everything else to let madVR decide. If the maximum value is too aggressive, reduce Luma quality until rendering times are under the movie frame interval (35-37ms for a 24 fps source). Then increase Upscaling after doubling, Downscaling after doubling and Chroma quality in that order to use any remaining GPU resources. Luma quality is always most important.

Keep in mind, NGU very high is three times slower than NGU high while only producing a small improvement in image quality.

<-- luma quality:

Luma doubling/quality always refers to image doubling of the Y layer of a YCbCr source. This will provide the majority of the improvement in image quality as the black and white luma contains image detail. Priority should be made to maximize this value first before adjusting other settings.

super-xbr: sharpness: 25 - 150
NNEDI3: 16 - 256 neurons
NGU: low - very high

<-- chroma quality

Chroma quality determines how the chroma layer (CbCr) will be doubled to match the luma layer (Y). This is separate from chroma upscaling that is performed on all videos. The chroma layer is inherently soft and lacks fine detail making image doubling unnecessary or overkill in most cases. Bicubic60 + AR provides the best bang for the buck here. It saves resources for luma doubling while still providing acceptable chroma quality. Adjust chroma quality last.

let madVR decide: Bicubic60 + AR unless using NNEDI3 128-256 neurons or NGU very high. In that case, NGU medium is used instead.
normal: Bicubic60 + AR
high: NGU low
very high: NGU medium

<-- upscaling after doubling

Image upscaling is applied after doubling if the scaling factor is greater than 2x but less than 4x, or greater than 4x but less than 8x. This is the case if scaling 480p -> 1080p, or 480p -> 2160p, for example. The luma and/or chroma is further upscaled after doubling to fill in any remaining pixels (960p -> 1080p, or 1920p -> 2160p). Upscaling after image doubling is not overly important.

let madVR decide: Bicubic60 + AR unless using NNEDI3 128-256 neurons or NGU very high. In that case, Jinc3 + AR is used instead.

<-- downscaling after doubling

Image downscaling will reduce the value of the luma and/or chroma if the scaling result is larger than the target resolution. Image downscaling is necessary for scaling factors less than 2x or when quadrupling resolutions less than 4x. This is true when scaling 720p -> 1080p, or 720p -> 2160p, for example. Much like upscaling after doubling and chroma quality, downscaling after image doubling is not important, so high quality can be maintained with lesser algorithms.

let madVR decide: Bicubic150 + AR unless using NNEDI3 128-256 neurons or NGU very high. In that case, SSIM 1D 100% + AR is used instead.

activate 200% supersampling: Double the resolution of native sources (sources that do not require Image upscaling). This setting is not recommended for the majority of users.

Example of Image Doubling

Imagine a source scaled 1280 x 720p to 1920 x 1080p.

This is a scaling factor of 1.5x.

chroma > NGU-low

The first entry is the chroma upscaling setting, which scales the quarter-resolution chroma to match the luma layer:

Y' (luma - 4) CbCr (chroma - 2:0) -> Y'CbCr 4:4:4.

luma > NGU-veryHigh < SSIM1D100AR

The luma layer (Y) is doubled using NGU very high. However, the resulting output (720p ->1440p) is too large for the target resolution (1080p). Therefore, image downscaling is used to reduce the output using the setting from downscaling after doubling. In this case, SSIM 1D 100% + AR.

chroma > Bicubic60AR

The upscaled chroma layer (CbCr) is scaled from 720p -> 1080p with Bicubic60 + AR to match the doubled luma layer using the chroma quality setting. Rather than waste resources on image doubling, Bicubic60 + AR allows the user to use higher settings for luma quality.
(2016-12-13, 20:32)oxynaz Wrote: [ -> ]THANK YOU

so it's ok if I set:
image upscaling --> NGU

algorithm quality
luma = high
chroma = high

upscaling= jinc ar

and last questions,

regards,

Adjust display modes in madVR (e.g. 2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p50, 2160p59, 2160p60). Or you can enable auto change in Kodi. Use one or the other, not both.
Thank you, your reply was a great help
(2016-12-07, 01:59)bollstedt Wrote: [ -> ]movie78, maybe it is easier to tell us first on which point on setting up madVR and Kodi DSPlayer you are?

1.) Have you installed Kodi DSPlayer - Jarvis?

2.) Have you installed the latest madVR version? Download the zip, extract the folder and install madVR by clicking on "install.bat"

Thats the very basic installation and the starting point for your purpose of 4k and 3D, as well bitstream audio output. Do not bother with Reclock or other custom filters at this point.

A really "quick and dirty" setup for at least full 3D output (it needs some more work for 4k):

0.) Get a keyboard and a mouse ready, because many settings are easier accessible via Windows.

1.) For testing purpose run Kodi DSplayer in portable mode ("C:\your_installation_path_of_Kodi_DS\kodi.exe -p") and run Kodi in a window (by pressing "Return" and "Alt") to have easier access to all filter settings in Windows.

2.) In Kodi go to Settings -> Video -> DSplayer and just follow Warner306 instructions in post#2 up until the point "Adding Custom Filters".

3.) Now setup up the LAV video and audio filters under: Video -> DSPlayer -> Filters management -> Internal filters. Follow exactly Warner306's 3rd post up until "- Extra external filter" for video acceleration (expect 3D content) and audio bitstream output.

4. Do not close your Kodi window, just minimise it and go into you madVR folder (the zip you extracted earlier). Open "madHcCtrl.exe" and have a closer look on your Windows taskbar besides the clock. Click on the madVR symbol and now the real fun begins. Basically this tutorial explained all the details. Just change some of the options while you playing a video in the Kodi window and you can see all the changes instantaneously. Warner306 is right, it needs some time to figure all out, but believe me, it is more than worth it. Smile

Maybe at the beginning you find my madVR settings good to get started. Download my "settings.bin" and put it in the madVR folder and restart your computer. My settings are good enough if you display resolution is 1080p and you want to watch full-frame 3D movies. However, I do not use 4k content and therefore my settings do not meet all you needs, but 3D output should be fine as long as you set up your display resolution to 1080p in the Windows display settings and you CPU is strong enough for software decoding. Furthermore, I only tested 3D output with MVC-mkv files and the file name needs to include the string ".3D" (with the dot!)

In order to get 4k video output, you need to understand the profile settings in madVR first. Because there need to be different video settings for different video content (SD, 720p, HD, 4k...). Follow post #7 closely: Link.

I hope, this information does not confuse you more and instead helps you get started. Good luck and happy tinkering Smile

Try your tutorial but i can't get 3D MVC to plackback,any help?
Have you set your resolution to 1080p in the Windows display menu?
Have you set 3D output in the Windows display menu?
If you are using my setting.bin file for madVR: Does your 3D-mkv file contain the string ".3D" (with the dot)?
Is stereo 3d playback checked in the madVR control panel (rendering -> stereo 3d)?
Have you set "Internal filters" in the Kodi-> Settings -> Video -> DSplayer?
Are the internal LAV Filters used when you play any file with Kodi DSplayer (press "o" for codec details during playing)?
(2016-12-14, 15:54)bollstedt Wrote: [ -> ]Have you set your resolution to 1080p in the Windows display menu?
Have you set 3D output in the Windows display menu?
If you are using my setting.bin file for madVR: Does your 3D-mkv file contain the string ".3D" (with the dot)?
Is stereo 3d playback checked in the madVR control panel (rendering -> stereo 3d)?
Have you set "Internal filters" in the Kodi-> Settings -> Video -> DSplayer?
Are the internal LAV Filters used when you play any file with Kodi DSplayer (press "o" for codec details during playing)?

1-Yes
2-Yes
3-Try your setting and my settings and both did not play, wasn't able to play one single file (mkv or 3D MVC etc)
4-Yes
5-Yes
6-Yes

Wasn't able to play even regular files.