Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I see some people are using MPC and some use DSPlayer. Is there any advantage to using one over the other, or is it just preference? I'm waiting on an RTX2060, to build a MadVR HTPC, so I'm just starting to gather up some info.
When it comes to image quality, all players are identical. Features and usability differ, with DSPlayer being the simplest to use because it is integrated into Kodi (albeit Kodi Krypton 17.6).
My RTX2060 hasn't shipped yet, so I was wondering if I should upgrade to a 2060 super? I'll be using MadVR on my Epson 5050ub.
The RTX 2060 should be good enough for tone mapping and upscaling. You don't really need more power unless you are obsessed with maxing out every setting for minimal gains in image quality.
(2020-06-11, 10:49)Warner306 Wrote: [ -> ]The RTX 2060 should be good enough for tone mapping and upscaling. You don't really need more power unless you are obsessed with maxing out every setting for minimal gains in image quality.
Currently, I'm using a 2017 Shield to play my rips on the 5050ub. With all the settings I'll be able to use with the 2060, do you think I'll definitely notice a difference in PQ using MadVR, over the Shield?
Yes, with the tone mapping of 4K HDR content and the upscaling of 1080p Blu-ray rips. If you download one of the beta builds that should eventually be an official build, you should notice a significant improvement in the quality of 4K HDR content in particular. The HDR tone mapping when configured correctly is very good.
(2020-06-12, 10:08)Warner306 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, with the tone mapping of 4K HDR content and the upscaling of 1080p Blu-ray rips. If you download one of the beta builds that should eventually be an official build, you should notice a significant improvement in the quality of 4K HDR content in particular. The HDR tone mapping when configured correctly is very good.
Great, thanks. All the graphics cards on Amazon are on back order right now, so it might take a couple weeks before I'm up and running. I want to use Amazon, because I'm a Prime member, and get free returns, no questions asked.
I have got trouble, setting up madVR, because I have got a QHD monitor (2560x1440), so I am right between a UHD and a FHD monitor. Which settings would you recommend to me? For example I don't know which one would be best for 4k -> fullscreen 1440p, but help with the other resolutions would be also appreciated very much! My files range everything from 480p to 4k.

Also: What would you recommend to me when using 25FPS and 60FPS profiles? Like: Which setting should I turn down the most when playing 60FPS files instead of 25FPS ones?

My other specs:
CPU: AMD R5 2600
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB
I would treat your 1440p monitor similar to a 1080p monitor when choosing settings and simply select medium rather than high or very high quality for each algorithm when the content becomes too demanding.

For example,

>1440p resolution: Downscale with SSIM 1D or SSIM 2D. Chroma Upscale with NGU Anti-Alias low or medium (with scale chroma separately checked under trade quality for performance).

<1440p resolution: Upscale with NGU Sharp high to very high and downscale with SSIM 1D. Chroma Upscale with NGU Anti-Alias low to medium.

For 60 fps content, I first turn down chroma upscaling to the lowest setting for my preferred algorithm (e.g., NGU Anti-Alias). Or I choose a lower-quality chroma algorithm such as Bicubic or Lanczos. Only then do I start to lower the quality for image upscaling or image downscaling to get rendering times within the 16ms frame interval required for 60 fps content.

I also disable all unnecessary image processing for 60 fps content including artifact removal and any forms of sharpening or edge enhancement.
I'm trying to get a grasp on setting up profiles. I'd like to have 2, one for 2160 HDR rips, and the other for 1080p rips. I followed the steps in the guide to set all the different scalings, but where I'm confused, is how to work in the other 2 options, into a profile. In Processing and Rendering, if I want certain options to go with my 1080p scaling profile, how do I get the Rendering and Processing options I want set for 1080p, to load with the 1080p Scaling profile?
Use the same set of rules and create profile groups under processing and rendering. If that rule is selected, so will your settings under each relevant profile group.
(2020-06-30, 03:51)Warner306 Wrote: [ -> ]Use the same set of rules and create profile groups under processing and rendering. If that rule is selected, so will your settings under each relevant profile group.
Okay, thanks. Where does the Tone Mapping fit in? Is that a profile I need to set up? When does that come into play when I have the 2160 profiles set up? Do the Tone mapping settings kick in when I play a 2160p movie, along with the 2160p profile settings? Image
Tone mapping will automatically be enabled when HDR10 content is played. So it shouldn't need a profile unless you want to have separate settings for 24 fps and 60 fps content. 

If you want the other settings to align with the tone mapping, then you need to create profile groups for this like scaling algorithms using the 4K resolution as the trigger for the profile rather than the HDR metadata in the file that triggers the use of tone mapping.
(2020-06-30, 10:05)Warner306 Wrote: [ -> ]Tone mapping will automatically be enabled when HDR10 content is played. So it shouldn't need a profile unless you want to have separate settings for 24 fps and 60 fps content. 

If you want the other settings to align with the tone mapping, then you need to create profile groups for this like scaling algorithms using the 4K resolution as the trigger for the profile rather than the HDR metadata in the file that triggers the use of tone mapping.
So the hdr settings under my projector, are what's being used when I play 4k HDR content, and the 2160p profiles I set up, are not used? Looking at the OSD, it looks like it's using the HDR setting, and the 2160p profile, no?
No, you misunderstood. Both the 2160p and HDR profiles can be triggered at the same time. The HDR profile should be selected automatically when HDR content is played and the 2160p profile will be activated if the pixel dimensions of the video match your profile rule.