Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
@natethomas

I guess I should word it differently. Yes, I do care how it impacts the user (installation and all that, like you said) and how it impacts Kodi's image. From a purely technical perspective, the removal only affected tablets and phones, because Amazon never enabled Kodi for Fire TV. So in that sense, meh. But yes, it still sucks, because that is the only path to the Fire TV, etc.
We want to be on the Fire TV Store - and are willing to make concessions.

We want to work on our public image - and use the support crisis to facilitate that goal.

Thats news. Maybe put a press statement out later in the day.

Alibaba btw. is the only part of Yahoo that still makes money. Buy your original replacement battery from them today.

In rhetorics memes in the end always are less effective than epistemes - thats why it is important to build those first. Just ask those pirates. Wink
@natethomas - I have an idea to aid in this hard fought battle. How about coming up with a list of criteria for the organisations (e.g. google, facebook, twitter etc) to receive as part of the reports so they can start to proactively block future or missed current items.

Also Google has its own form of Facebook (Google+ and/or Hang outs).

In addition has anyone considered making reports or requests for search engines to stop listing the affected items in results. The reason being if people don't know or have the exact address for some reason then they will use a search engine.

If they don't have the exact address and no result in the search engine then it will be most likely much harder for them to be able to get to where these items are supplied. The list of criteria for sending to the companies or watch dog organisations would allow them to select other matching items which were missed from the reports (also they could then be fed into computer systems - possibly as part of an algorithm). The algorithm would block or remove the items from the system.
Already been posted somewhere else on the forum
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/android-...-1.3455524

Well so much for combatting things... this ******* just made things worse
Doh, you beat me too it.. Duplicate post
Hello,

Do you intend to issue YouTube takedown notices to any video that features the kodi name/logo with 3rd party add-ons, or limit it to the ones that "are just using the Kodi name while assuring users that some pirate add-on is totally legal and isn’t going to break next week, we will do everything we can to take you down”, as stated in your website letter? This distinction is important because there are plenty of videos about 3rd party add-ons for kodi that make no assurances that the add-ons will always or that anything is totally legal. I'm interested to know who you are targeting with trademark violations.
as long as the videos don't endorse piracy or give how to's for that and are in no other way misleading we're usually fine with people creating youtube tutorials etc. We're also not against third party add-ons in general, as there are plenty of non-piracy ones out there which are fine.
Why don't you change Kodi so that addons (or addon developers) have to be authorised by the Kodi team? Maybe something along the lines of developers require a registration key - addons only run provided the developer key is valid. That way you can revoke addons if they are detrimental to the Kodi trademark. I've not thought too deeply about how it could be achieved, but maybe maintain the developer key database on a backend server.
I have read a lot of the comments and opinions on this thread and come to this conclusion. Wouldn't it just be easier to get eBay to stop listing these 'boxes'. I bought my friends an Android Box and it just came with a vanilla install of Kodi, all good. But the 'fully loaded' boxes aren't allowed by eBay's own terms and conditions. For example...

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/en...ivity.html

The vendors of these boxes are certainly encouraging illegal activity.

and also...

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/encouraging.html
Maybe I am over simplifying this, but wouldn't it put an end to most of this issue if all add-ons had to be installed through the official Kodi repository?
(2016-02-24, 11:22)psykix Wrote: [ -> ]Why don't you change Kodi so that addons (or addon developers) have to be authorised by the Kodi team? Maybe something along the lines of developers require a registration key - addons only run provided the developer key is valid. That way you can revoke addons if they are detrimental to the Kodi trademark. I've not thought too deeply about how it could be achieved, but maybe maintain the developer key database on a backend server.

(2016-02-24, 18:13)Tight_wad Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe I am over simplifying this, but wouldn't it put an end to most of this issue if all add-ons had to be installed through the official Kodi repository?

As stated a bunch of times, the Kodi project will never do this. Users are free to install and use Kodi however they want, as long as they are making an informed decision. The problem isn't the add-ons, but when the add-ons are presented as "official" or some kind of core Kodi feature.
(2016-02-24, 01:58)kduser35 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

Do you intend to issue YouTube takedown notices to any video that features the kodi name/logo with 3rd party add-ons, or limit it to the ones that "are just using the Kodi name while assuring users that some pirate add-on is totally legal and isn’t going to break next week, we will do everything we can to take you down”, as stated in your website letter? This distinction is important because there are plenty of videos about 3rd party add-ons for kodi that make no assurances that the add-ons will always or that anything is totally legal. I'm interested to know who you are targeting with trademark violations.

It is entirely possible to make a video, even about a pirate/bootleg video add-on, and not break trademark laws. There's no exact formula, but it's all about how the whole thing is presented. Be clear that the videos themselves are already on the Internet and not provided by Kodi, that Kodi is just a video player, that someone outside of the Kodi project made the add-on, etc.

For example, the video shouldn't be titled/presented like "how to use Kodi to get all these free movies".

Instead, it should be like "how to use Video Add-on Name to get all these free movies" or something like that. The layman should be able to understand that Kodi is a neutral player in the setup that isn't "for piracy" but is just "for playing al sorts of videos, regardless of how you get them".

In theory. YMMV.
(2016-02-24, 18:58)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]As stated a bunch of times, the Kodi project will never do this. Users are free to install and use Kodi however they want, as long as they are making an informed decision. The problem isn't the add-ons, but when the add-ons are presented as "official" or some kind of core Kodi feature.

I understand and respect that position.
Slightly Off-Topic. I don't know exactly how the popular illegal addons work. Don't they also take away the business of the filehosts and the streaming sites by bypassing their ads? I wonder why these guys have apparently not done anything. I would guess since it's a shady business model that they might use some "unorthodox methods" to get to the guys behind the addons or maybe even kodi itself.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40