Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
I'm not about to read 28 pages, just wanted to ask a simple question. Considering the fact that most (that I've seen) users who are posting/asking for support with these piracy addons are new users, would it be possible to have a "nag-screen" that would disallow them from registering until they've read the policy on piracy addons. Make it two page so they will actually notice it or add an Answer: field that takes a line from the policy. I know it won't solve the issue itself, though at the very least you would have fewer of these threads.
(2016-03-04, 12:44)nooryani84 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not about to read 28 pages, just wanted to ask a simple question. Considering the fact that most (that I've seen) users who are posting/asking for support with these piracy addons are new users, would it be possible to have a "nag-screen" that would disallow them from registering until they've read the policy on piracy addons. Make it two page so they will actually notice it or add an Answer: field that takes a line from the policy. I know it won't solve the issue itself, though at the very least you would have fewer of these threads.
That already happens. But no one reads Terms and Conditions.

Even if it was in bright red flashing strobing text the majority of users will just click through... Laugh

I run a couple of forums where my welcome text includes - if you are going to register, then type me a message in the Skype ID box. I think of it as a Captcha on Steroids. Even then most people ignore it... so I just don't authorise their account...
If you had a challenge question they had to answer by reading the piracy part then they would have to read it.
(2016-03-04, 13:19)BatterPudding Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-04, 12:44)nooryani84 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not about to read 28 pages, just wanted to ask a simple question. Considering the fact that most (that I've seen) users who are posting/asking for support with these piracy addons are new users, would it be possible to have a "nag-screen" that would disallow them from registering until they've read the policy on piracy addons. Make it two page so they will actually notice it or add an Answer: field that takes a line from the policy. I know it won't solve the issue itself, though at the very least you would have fewer of these threads.
That already happens. But no one reads Terms and Conditions.

Even if it was in bright red flashing strobing text the majority of users will just click through... Laugh

I run a couple of forums where my welcome text includes - if you are going to register, then type me a message in the Skype ID box. I think of it as a Captcha on Steroids. Even then most people ignore it... so I just don't authorise their account...

Honestly The Terms and conditions need to be redone, the font particularly pertaining to Piracy addons, should be big and Red, so that people want to read it. As it stands right now the T&C is a long winded paragraph that nobody is going to pay attention too. But if you had say two T&C pages, one in Big (and by Big I mean Huge) red letters that people will read about the piracy addons, and another with all the other info in it, more people might actually pay attention to it.
Yea that's similar to what I was thinking
And in the mean time it is totally cool and allowed to talk about current tv shows and movies in the Quasar addon thread. But wait, that's torrents and not streaming.
Sorry, don't know what context this is in. Can you give me an example/link?
Darkhelmet, that should/is not be allowed. Please report such posts, we can't check all threads and posts.
(2016-03-05, 03:30)nooryani84 Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, don't know what context this is in. Can you give me an example/link?

(2016-02-29, 17:37)snock Wrote: [ -> ]When installing the first day probe with "The Revenant" without problem, reinstall everything to start from scratch kodi. I just try other movies without problem. While leaving the list, most are not. Be for the providers? Where does this list?

And come on, what else than watching movies and tv shows from illegal sources can the addon even be used for? Holiday videos?
(2016-03-05, 11:56)DarkHelmet Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-05, 03:30)nooryani84 Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, don't know what context this is in. Can you give me an example/link?

(2016-02-29, 17:37)snock Wrote: [ -> ]When installing the first day probe with "The Revenant" without problem, reinstall everything to start from scratch kodi. I just try other movies without problem. While leaving the list, most are not. Be for the providers? Where does this list?

And come on, what else than watching movies and tv shows from illegal sources can the addon even be used for? Holiday videos?

People have made the same argument about the MKV file container when it first came out. Even if it is in the minority, legal video distribution via bittorrent is a thing. For example, http://www.publicdomaintorrents.info

But yes, people shouldn't be talking about content or torrent indexes/providers/whatever when the threads on this forum should just be about the protocol/technical features of the add-on.
If people want to target bit torrent then they might as well target any and all sources that can store data! FTP, CD/DVD, HDD, etc... Any of these can be used for both legal and illegal purposes, so the agrument is irrelevant. I trust that Team Kodi know what they're doing and have thought of most of these, and other, proposed solutions. If it were that simple then we wouldn't be in this situation!
(2016-03-05, 14:36)nooryani84 Wrote: [ -> ]If people want to target bit torrent then they might as well target any and all sources that can store data! FTP, CD/DVD, HDD, etc... Any of these can be used for both legal and illegal purposes, so the argument is irrelevant. I trust that Team Kodi know what they're doing and have thought of most of these, and other, proposed solutions. If it were that simple then we wouldn't be in this situation!

We've spent 4 years towing a very narrow line. Basically, we want to be as open on the forum as possible, while not directly supporting piracy. It's why we have rules like "if it can be used for piracy, but also has other uses, it's ok," and "if it's main purpose is piracy, but it doesn't actually do any downloading itself, then it's ok," and so on. Sometimes, there are apps/addons that stray too far into the gray area and become pretty much exclusively about piracy. Navi-X was an example of this early on. It was, at one time, just a place people put random videos. Then it became a place where people put only hollywood movies. And then we had to shut it down in our forum.

What's funny about people always calling us hypocrites because Xbox Media Center existed is that they clearly have no memory of how Team XBMC acted during those days, which was pretty much exactly the same. On the official sites and forums, only legal stuff was ok. There was no talk of how to compile. No one was allowed to post compiled sources directly on the forum, etc. It was understood back then that compiling was illegal and when something is illegal, you don't talk about it, and you certainly don't shout about it to the moon and make videos with thousands of views.

It's only in the past few years that this tradition of silence has changed. People outside the team have suddenly realized that thumbing their nose at keeping silent meant making money, and now they're mad at us for being mad at them for breaking a tradition that dates back to the creation of XBMP.
I'm glad to see that something is being done about it. I don't care how people obtain their movies/TV shows, and it's none of my business. People have been pirating for as long as they've been selling software/movies that could run on computers. I think it's in every Kodi user's interest that the forums stay within the law, especially copyright law. It's always going to be a cat and mouse chase, though it can be minimized. My biggest fear is that Kodi's development will cease. I truly hope it doesn't come to that, though I fully understand that devs are fed up.
A quick question,Ive been over at a music related forum and a bloke has been asking about an Amazon Fire Stick,I clicked the ebay link and we know what was on offer,I wrote a long reply to discourage him from buying it pointing out It will break,there is no support and if he asked on here he would be binned.
I pointed out there is only a 30 day warranty,in the UK, for new items the law is 1 year.
I asked the OP if the product is so good why is only 30 days offered?
That nailed it.
The question,the vendor has published his UK address could The Foundation pursue him?
That sounds like more of a case for consumer advocates/law practices, if you're referring to the warranty. I believe that a warranty is provided by the distributor which is 30 days and the 1 year warranty is between the vendor and the customer.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40