Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
(2016-03-11, 11:15)Gothicawakening Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, from a comment on that site: "While I was talking to one of Chinese engineers and asked why they are pushing their own Kodi on their devices which cannot be upgraded later via Play Store I was told that official Kodi does not support some keys on IR remote. And it’s easier to change keyboard xml firmware and rebuild kodi than investigating how to fix it on firmware level."

Seems fair, can't think of any possible way to add new remote keys to KODI, if only such a feature existed!

That's also the reason because 80% of android based box are terrible.. There's a problem with our firmware? Let's fix kodi instead of our code..
Yup its why I keep banging on that Firmware and support from competent knowledgable Android developers is vital with Android boxes.
I would say the figure is closer to 95% of Android boxes are terrible for proper ongoing Kodi compatibility and working features.
Zidoo are useless.
AS long as Kodi has no control over 3rd party add ons they have no control over their Brand. Its time they setup an unofficial repository with a screening process .

Kodi wont do it though. They have already seen two forks that's a skin change away to not being a knock off but its own open source product.

Why cause Kodi doesn't want to lose the numbers its drives while still lambasting those users for their success.

Look at the popularity of the wizards. Kodi could make their own Official wizard as custom packages yet they choose to scorn any user who mentions a wizard.

The people who pay more for the same box just so someone can click a few buttons and type in a line for them are the most absurd. as that link showed a 150 dollars for a 60 dollar box plus it looks like you can pay more for a recovery mode?
If Kodi was really serious about Piracy they would make that change.
these boxes whether its Linux/XBMC or both get ordered cheap in quantity from china and redistributed at triple the price
Idiots are gonna pay for it.
As far as default software. if a full version of kodi with no changes is put in on a box. how is that any different from having Amazon, You tube or any other 3rd party app preinstalled.
Also if a company specifies hardware instructions specifically for a program they should be able to promote that feature .
Its not always supporting or endorsing piracy

My point is, since people have a hard time understanding me ,is that Kodi can do more than Piracy awareness and taking down a few websites to bolster their image within the business community and continue to foster community development for a free open source code while separating themselves from the XBMC underground that already has at least two forks in production.
1. Introduce a non official Kodi repository that is reviewed for malicious code with clear anti piracy guidelines on developmental changes.
2. Force 3rd parties to reference XBMC and not Kodi for their 3rd party XBMC apps.
3. Restrict banned repositories sites from being used as a Source add. (yes they can make new ones but it sends a message to potential partners)
4. Maintain a list of compatible devices that are authorizes to use the Kodi Trademark. Request Manufacturers to rebrand to XBMC if any modifications are made by reseller.
5. Allow Banned authors to submit Unofficial repository Guidelines under an alternate name if the Add on is legit and meets the previously mention program requirements.
6 Submit a trademark application process for any manufacturer will produce more than 500 units of a devie that is Kodi compliant.
7. Create a Genuine Kodi Stamp program for sponsors who meet criteria
8. request Kodi be replaced by XBMC for public and internet media cross referencing banned programs
9. Create Official Wizards for a base Kodi installation for the Novice user and Power User. The wizards only change when a new complete version is released.
10. Create a program that test the hardware instructions available for Kodi user and rate them for the User as well as identify and remove any malicious addon programming.

Any of these things would show Business that Kodi has integrity and is willing to commit resources to fend off piracy to the highest degree outside of a few token gestures.
(2016-03-13, 21:14)tornicade Wrote: [ -> ]AS long as Kodi has no control over 3rd party add ons they have no control over their Brand. Its time they setup an unofficial repository with a screening process .

Kodi wont do it though. They have already seen two forks that's a skin change away to not being a knock off but its own open source product.

Why cause Kodi doesn't want to lose the numbers its drives while still lambasting those users for their success.

Look at the popularity of the wizards. Kodi could make their own Official wizard as custom packages yet they choose to scorn any user who mentions a wizard.

The people who pay more for the same box just so someone can click a few buttons and type in a line for them are the most absurd. as that link showed a 150 dollars for a 60 dollar box plus it looks like you can pay more for a recovery mode?
these boxes whether its Linux/XBMC or both get ordered cheap in quantity from china and redistributed at triple the price
As far as default software. if a full version of kodi with no changes is put in on a box. how is that any different from having Amazon, You tube or any other 3rd party app preinstalled.
Also if a company specifies hardware instructions specifically for a program they should be able to promote that feature .

My point is, since people have a hard time understanding me ,is that Kodi can do more than Piracy awareness and taking down a few websites to bolster their image within the business community and continue to foster community development for a free open source code while separating themselves from the XBMC underground that already has at least two forks in production.
1. Introduce a non official Kodi repository that is reviewed for malicious code with clear anti piracy guidelines on developmental changes.
2. Force 3rd parties to reference XBMC and not Kodi for their 3rd party XBMC apps.
3. Restrict banned repositories sites from being used as a Source add. (yes they can make new ones but it sends a message to potential partners)
4. Maintain a list of compatible devices that are authorizes to use the Kodi Trademark. Request Manufacturers to rebrand to XBMC if any modifications are made by reseller.
5. Allow Banned authors to submit Unofficial repository Guidelines under an alternate name if the Add on is legit and meets the previously mention program requirements.
6 Submit a trademark application process for any manufacturer will produce more than 500 units of a devie that is Kodi compliant.
8. request Kodi be replaced by XBMC for public and internet media cross referencing banned programs
9. Create Official Wizards for a base Kodi installation for the Novice user and Power User. The wizards only change when a new complete version is released.
10. Create a program that test the hardware instructions available for Kodi user and rate them for the User as well as identify and remove any malicious addon programming.

Any of these things would show Business that Kodi has integrity and is willing to commit resources to fend off piracy to the highest degree outside of a few token gestures.
Nominated for most bizarre post of 2016.
i will do all this once i finished my own live... people still think we are a company with full time job people working for it do they?
You seem to honestly want to help, so I'm going to try and explain some things one more time..

Quote:AS long as Kodi has no control over 3rd party add ons they have no control over their Brand.

Other OSes for the last 30 years, any browser that allowed extensions/add-ons/scripts, Android, tons of games with community content, and countless other things, all are able to control their brand. A walled garden has never been required for that.

Kodi, by it's very nature, is a shell that consumes other content. Trying to control what other people put into Kodi is just not practical. Where would it end? Stopping people from playing back certain videos? Only certain video sources and protocols?

No one wants to prevent users from installing pirate streaming add-ons. That is the user's right to do. In the past when some user did this, they had to manually set it up themselves. They understood that it was their choice to make, so it didn't cause any confusion. The issue is not being able to play pirated media in Kodi. Instead, the issue is Kodi being confused as a source or supporter of pirated content.

Quote:Why cause Kodi doesn't want to lose the numbers its drives while still lambasting those users for their success.

No one cares about numbers. The fact that there are about 10 million Android downloads is actually a burden that would be better avoided.

Quote:Look at the popularity of the wizards. Kodi could make their own Official wizard as custom packages yet they choose to scorn any user who mentions a wizard.

That doesn't make any sense. The only reason people use "wizards" is to pre-install pirate streaming add-ons. If the default program could be made easier then it would be done in the core program. You might think that there are things that "everyone" wants, but no, not everyone wants the same default. This is why things are the way they are. No one is using a Wizard to install youtube or set up their own private library. A wizard wouldn't even make installing or using those things any easier. If someone does manage to make a "wizard" that isn't related to piracy, they're free to submit that to the add-on repo or talk about it. There's no blank ban on "wizards".

Quote:As far as default software. if a full version of kodi with no changes is put in on a box. how is that any different from having Amazon, You tube or any other 3rd party app preinstalled.

It's not. That's is allowed and does not cause any issues. People have been trying to tell you that.

Quote:Also if a company specifies hardware instructions specifically for a program they should be able to promote that feature .

This is also allowed. People have been telling you this as well.

Quote:Maintain a list of compatible devices that are authorizes to use the Kodi Trademark.

Anyone is allowed to make simple statements of fact, like "this box will run Kodi". No one is allowed to use Kodi trademarks to imply that their device is better or "more official" than any other. Nvidia is not allowed, Wetek is not allowed, Minix is not allowed, no one. The Kodi project, as a group/entity, does not endorse any specific hardware over other hardware.

Quote:Allow Banned authors to submit Unofficial repository Guidelines under an alternate name if the Add on is legit and meets the previously mention program requirements.

That defeats the entire purpose for separating Kodi from those things. It doesn't matter if you call it "unofficial", because that's making a specific official repository. I can't say to someone "I don't bake bread" just because I put a different nametag on when I bake bread. Since I'm not a lying a-hole, if I don't want people to think I bake bread, then I won't bake bread.

Quote:Request Manufacturers to rebrand to XBMC if any modifications are made by reseller.

Quote:request Kodi be replaced by XBMC for public and internet media cross referencing banned programs

"XBMC" is a name the project wants to protect just as much as "Kodi". Plus, the group is not authorized to use the name XBMC for software. They will be in breach of a legal contract if they use "XBMC" in that way. They are only allowed to use XBMC for the name of the XBMC Foundation, and are authorized to defend the name "XBMC" in relation to both the Foundation and Kodi.

Quote:Any of these things would show Business that Kodi has integrity and is willing to commit resources to fend off piracy to the highest degree outside of a few token gestures.

No one is going to kiss the butt of some big companies just to make them like Kodi. Some stuff is reasonable to do, other stuff is not. The Kodi project does not have to prove itself to big companies or show them that they will fight piracy. The Kodi project does not want to fight piracy. The moment you start doing stuff like that is the moment companies start demanding things like closed source, DRM, and other things that are against the spirit of the project.

It's reasonable to ask that people not call Kodi a rapist. It's not reasonable to expect Kodi to spend every day of his life proving to other people that he's not going to rape him.
(2016-03-13, 21:14)tornicade Wrote: [ -> ]AS long as Kodi has no control over 3rd party add ons they have no control over their Brand. Its time they setup an unofficial repository with a screening process .

Let me break it down for you, they don't want to be associated with piracy. That's it. They aren't here to fight piracy or to tell users how to obtain their files. It's that simple. All your gibberish is pointless. They have no duty to fight it, so ANY "token gestures" seems like a good deal to me. They aren't responsible for the abuse of users, but they are surely receiving lots of bullshit for it. Is that fair? FUCK NO. Regardless of how xbmc started or what it's intentions were, it's a fucking media player. Team Kodi does an awesome job of trying to keep piracy addon talk out of the forums and that seems good enough to me. You need to hop off your soap box dude, you suck.
(2016-03-13, 23:57)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]It's reasonable to ask that people not call Kodi a rapist. It's not reasonable to expect Kodi to spend every day of his life proving to other people that he's not going to rape him.

Well said and well played. That made lol Rofl Rofl Rofl
(2016-03-13, 23:57)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]It's reasonable to ask that people not call Kodi a rapist. It's not reasonable to expect Kodi to spend every day of his life proving to other people that he's not going to rape him.

If that happens one day I hope for the guy it's Kodi on a small Android USB key and not a full HTPC.
(2016-03-13, 23:57)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]You seem to honestly want to help, so I'm going to try and explain some things one more time..

Quote:AS long as Kodi has no control over 3rd party add ons they have no control over their Brand.

Other OSes for the last 30 years, any browser that allowed extensions/add-ons/scripts, Android, tons of games with community content, and countless other things, all are able to control their brand. A walled garden has never been required for that.

Kodi, by it's very nature, is a shell that consumes other content. Trying to control what other people put into Kodi is just not practical. Where would it end? Stopping people from playing back certain videos? Only certain video sources and protocols?

No one wants to prevent users from installing pirate streaming add-ons. That is the user's right to do. In the past when some user did this, they had to manually set it up themselves. They understood that it was their choice to make, so it didn't cause any confusion. The issue is not being able to play pirated media in Kodi. Instead, the issue is Kodi being confused as a source or supporter of pirated content.

Quote:Why cause Kodi doesn't want to lose the numbers its drives while still lambasting those users for their success.

No one cares about numbers. The fact that there are about 10 million Android downloads is actually a burden that would be better avoided.

Quote:Look at the popularity of the wizards. Kodi could make their own Official wizard as custom packages yet they choose to scorn any user who mentions a wizard.

That doesn't make any sense. The only reason people use "wizards" is to pre-install pirate streaming add-ons. If the default program could be made easier then it would be done in the core program. You might think that there are things that "everyone" wants, but no, not everyone wants the same default. This is why things are the way they are. No one is using a Wizard to install youtube or set up their own private library. A wizard wouldn't even make installing or using those things any easier. If someone does manage to make a "wizard" that isn't related to piracy, they're free to submit that to the add-on repo or talk about it. There's no blank ban on "wizards".

Quote:As far as default software. if a full version of kodi with no changes is put in on a box. how is that any different from having Amazon, You tube or any other 3rd party app preinstalled.

It's not. That's is allowed and does not cause any issues. People have been trying to tell you that.

Quote:Also if a company specifies hardware instructions specifically for a program they should be able to promote that feature .

This is also allowed. People have been telling you this as well.

Quote:Maintain a list of compatible devices that are authorizes to use the Kodi Trademark.

Anyone is allowed to make simple statements of fact, like "this box will run Kodi". No one is allowed to use Kodi trademarks to imply that their device is better or "more official" than any other. Nvidia is not allowed, Wetek is not allowed, Minix is not allowed, no one. The Kodi project, as a group/entity, does not endorse any specific hardware over other hardware.

Quote:Allow Banned authors to submit Unofficial repository Guidelines under an alternate name if the Add on is legit and meets the previously mention program requirements.

That defeats the entire purpose for separating Kodi from those things. It doesn't matter if you call it "unofficial", because that's making a specific official repository. I can't say to someone "I don't bake bread" just because I put a different nametag on when I bake bread. Since I'm not a lying a-hole, if I don't want people to think I bake bread, then I won't bake bread.

Quote:Request Manufacturers to rebrand to XBMC if any modifications are made by reseller.

Quote:request Kodi be replaced by XBMC for public and internet media cross referencing banned programs

"XBMC" is a name the project wants to protect just as much as "Kodi". Plus, the group is not authorized to use the name XBMC for software. They will be in breach of a legal contract if they use "XBMC" in that way. They are only allowed to use XBMC for the name of the XBMC Foundation, and are authorized to defend the name "XBMC" in relation to both the Foundation and Kodi.

Quote:Any of these things would show Business that Kodi has integrity and is willing to commit resources to fend off piracy to the highest degree outside of a few token gestures.

No one is going to kiss the butt of some big companies just to make them like Kodi. Some stuff is reasonable to do, other stuff is not. The Kodi project does not have to prove itself to big companies or show them that they will fight piracy. The Kodi project does not want to fight piracy. The moment you start doing stuff like that is the moment companies start demanding things like closed source, DRM, and other things that are against the spirit of the project.

It's reasonable to ask that people not call Kodi a rapist. It's not reasonable to expect Kodi to spend every day of his life proving to other people that he's not going to rape him.
Except kodis own blog refers to Companies not working them as a point of frustration.
isn't that the real issue?
the same piracy blog that refers to Users with broken software from third party add on codes as a point of frustration.

Another post mentions Kodi is not a company yet the XBMC foundation has a business number. takes donations. goes on business trips. A Not for profit business is a business. If XMBC/Kodi was not a business then there would be no trademark.

None of my suggestions were something that take the foundation out of the scobe of what they are currently doing. XBMC however is it trade marked?

I did not state Kodis Image amongst the industry was a problem. Kodi did it. including a blog on it featured on this website.

Kodi does control the content of its program when it bans programs and refused to even look at any kodi issue where those programs show up on a debug log even if its not related to the issue reported.

Asking people to report sites for trademark violation specifically referencing believed piracy programs is by far not a neutral stance on piracy.

Kodi will continued to be associated with piracy as long as they "don't care" how their users use the software.

When Kodi tells me that these 3rd party programs are viruses and malware how is that not a scare tactic telling me the user how to use the software.

Kodi treats the 3rd party "virus" programs the same way as the 3rd party add on with perfectly legitimate code.

so how is one not to be confused by such an inconsistent stance . Your take doesn't sound anything like the piracy blog that was posted nor the treatment users get on the forums from moderaters and developers.
A point of frustration does not trump the open source values of the project. Just because someone says "we don't like this" doesn't mean that they will do anything to stop it.

It doesn't matter if you call the Kodi project a business or not. When people say "Kodi is not a company" they mean that Kodi is not motivated by profit.

XBMC is trademarked, yes.

You seem to not understand the blog post about the issue.

"piracy add-ons" are just an example of how trademark violations can hurt the project. They are not the only examples. Anyone who violates the trademark, even those who aren't using piracy add-ons, should be reported. Kodi is required by law to defend their trademark, even if they don't want to. Several sites listed in this very thread have nothing to do with pirate streaming add-ons. You are confusing the main example as being the only example.

If that is true, then so be it.

There have been real situations where people who run some of the pirate add-on repos have actually deleted other add-ons that they didn't like. So if you had downloaded an add-on from Guy A, Guy B would update his add-on to delete Guy A's add-on. This actually happened when a group of people split off from "XBMCHUB" (now called TVaddons). Deleting files off your computer without your authorization sounds like malware to me.

Again, you seem to be misunderstanding the blog post and most of this thread. If my take doesn't sound anything like the others, it's because I'm trying very hard to explain it to you, so that you do understand.
Now this is just getting silly.

http://aerialview.tv/mobile/2016/01/28/d...onal-data/

Only a matter of time before something really stupid happens, Before long someone will notice and it Will go into the mainstream media, I would hate for kodi to become tarnished or made to look as if Kodi is providing a way for undesirable people to steal personal data, We all know how overboard the media will go, They dont really care what they write as long as it looks bad...

Before I read its third party stuff, nothing to do with us, I agree, But if someone manages to install a keylogger onto someones pc, and steals online banking passwords and logins, im sure they wont see it that way, I know im being over dramtic here, but there are some people out there who WOULD do this.
Maybe people could also realise that add-ons are not sandboxed within Kodi at all, and as such installing third party repo's and add-ons, which by their very nature are not checked and verified by Team Kodi, is potentially opening a back door into your system?

Even if the initial add-on is fine, there's nothing to stop an unscrupulous or dodgy author then updating their code to do what the hell it likes, up to and including harvesting or screwing around with files on your hard disk or any network that the machine may have access to. And of course given that some of these third party authors are writing stuff to knowingly access illegal and pirated content, what does that say about how trustworthy they may be in other areas?

Anything installed from the official repo will have been checked and verified as not being malicious or nasty, but no guarantee is given for anything you chose to install yourself. It's a similar point to the piracy one - you're free to do whatever you wish with Kodi as an open source program, but should you chose a less than legitimate course of actions and you get into trouble as a result, then it's your own fault and problem. It's when the user is too naïve or greedy to know that someone else has made that choice for them when they bought a box with pre-installed crap that the issues can really start, hence our stance on them.

It's all a question of trust which many don't even give a second thought to. Some of the supposed benefits the less legitimate add-ons and repos may offer certainly need to be weighed up against such risks, which most people will not do. It's also another reason why "one stop shop" repos like Super Repo are much more of a risk than they may first appear, and why we do not promote or approve of them.

In the end it comes back to the separation of Kodi from 3rd party add-ons to it. People just need to think about what they are adding, and of course not buy stuff with pre-installs which is removing that choice from them.
(2016-03-14, 13:32)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe people could also realise that add-ons are not sandboxed within Kodi at all, and as such installing third party repo's and add-ons, which by their very nature are not checked and verified by Team Kodi, is potentially opening a back door into your system?

Agreed

(2016-03-14, 13:32)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Even if the initial add-on is fine, there's nothing to stop an unscrupulous or dodgy author then updating their code to do what the hell it likes, up to and including harvesting or screwing around with files on your hard disk or any network that the machine may have access to. And of course given that some of these third party authors are writing stuff to knowingly access illegal and pirated content, what does that say about how trustworthy they may be in other areas?

In therory this could be done with any addon/script/skin no matter where it has come from, its a byproduct of how the whole addon updating system works.
The point regarding trust and 3rd party developers I feel is a little unfair. For 99.999% of 3rd party addon developers, harvesting or screwing around with files is not and will never be on the agenda. Developers, whether 3rd party or in the official repo, create the addons for the exact same reasons.

(2016-03-14, 13:32)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Anything installed from the official repo will have been checked and verified as not being malicious or nasty, but no guarantee is given for anything you chose to install yourself. It's a similar point to the piracy one - you're free to do whatever you wish with Kodi as an open source program, but should you chose a less than legitimate course of actions and you get into trouble as a result, then it's your own fault and problem. It's when the user is too naïve or greedy to know that someone else has made that choice for them when they bought a box with pre-installed crap that the issues can really start, hence our stance on them.

I guess some users may be naive, but i would say a very high proportion of those users know exactly what content "should" or "should not" be available to watch on their tv at home or their phone/tablet whilst out and about.

(2016-03-14, 13:32)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]In the end it comes back to the separation of Kodi from 3rd party add-ons to it. People just need to think about what they are adding, and of course not buy stuff with pre-installs which is removing that choice from them.

Agreed
(2016-03-14, 14:50)metalkettle Wrote: [ -> ]In therory this could be done with any addon/script/skin no matter where it has come from, its a byproduct of how the whole addon updating system works.
The point regarding trust and 3rd party developers I feel is a little unfair. For 99.999% of 3rd party addon developers, harvesting or screwing around with files is not and will never be on the agenda. Developers, whether 3rd party or in the official repo, create the addons for the exact same reasons.

Indeed it could - my point was more that the official repo submissions are checked to try and ensure that rogue or malicious stuff doesn't get into it, whereas for the other repos (whether added or pre-installed on certain devices) this may well not be the case. If something malicious did get past such a check and into the official repo then there is a case for come-back to Team Kodi, whereas if it happens with an "unofficial" repo (for want of a better way of putting it) then it shouldn't, but probably would anyway due to the common lack of perception of the separation of add-ons and core.

(2016-03-14, 14:50)metalkettle Wrote: [ -> ]I guess some users may be naive, but i would say a very high proportion of those users know exactly what content "should" or "should not" be available to watch on their tv at home or their phone/tablet whilst out and about.

Agreed, and it's their right to do so if they wish. But it's as long as it's a conscious decision to do so, made with a view to the whole picture of what could be the potential risks and downsides, and not just what media they obviously may wish to receive or access. That users also accept the consequences and responsibility for their action in following that path, and that we're not there to pick up the pieces or accept blame if it does go badly for them nor are we liable for any repercussions or other negative outcomes.

But the amount of people who come here requesting help and support for such add-ons proves that many do not make that distinction or understand fully what they may be getting themselves into. Especially those who buy the "fully loaded" boxes thinking the whole package (in some cases even the hardware) is a "Kodi product" for which we have ultimate responsibility.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40