Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is native 3D playback possible on my hardware?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
System Details:
- Core i5 6500
- IGP / Z170 mainboard / HDMI 1.4a
- 3D Capable TV

PowerDVD works fine (TV autodetects 3D) with 3D BluRay. However, while playing an ISO of the same BluRay or an MKV created by MakeMKV with MVC data, within Kodi, the TV never switches to 3D.

I have tried with "Playback mode of Stereoscopic 3D videos" in Setting > Videos > Playback to both "Ask Me" and "Preferred Mode" without any success.

If I add "3d.sbs" to the MKV name it starts playing the video in side-by-side mode, which the TV doesn't detect. There is no 3D related setting in Videos > Acceleration. Am I missing something obvious? Or native 3D playback is not supported on my hardware (I know it works in some version of Pi 2)?

Thanks.
Rpi is the only platform that plays mvc movies in kodi.

Your platform will play hsbs or htab.
(2016-02-21, 00:00)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Rpi is the only platform that plays mvc movies in kodi.

Your platform will play hsbs or htab.

Thanks nickr, I had concluded the same but thought of asking if there was any recent breakthrough.

Are you aware of any ongoing development to support this platform for MVC playback? There was an attempt a while ago to support MVC in FFMPEG but google is not showing much now.
If you don't mind using your PDVD as a 3D iso exclusive player, there is a guide integrating it with KODI for situations just like yours.
Your hardware is fine.
Link is in my signature.
(2016-02-21, 04:14)brazen1 Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't mind using your PDVD as a 3D iso exclusive player, there is a guide integrating it with KODI for situations just like yours.
Your hardware is fine.
Link is in my signature.

Yes, that's what I have been doing for past few years but wanted to see if anything changed. PDVD is not bad but needs too many hoops (batch file, VCD etc.) and is not wife-friendly.
add powerdvd as an external player job done for now?
Just curious, what's not wife-friendly about it?

Press enter on the title in KODI and 3D iso begins playing in PDVD and panel switches to 3D mode. Turn on your glasses and enjoy.
Press exit on PDVD when finished and you're back to KODI ready for next title.

The code also distinguishes between 2D and 3D iso's and routes to the correct player.
The code also distinguishes containers and routes to the appropriate player based on the container.
You can also override the default players with 1 button press in the context menu.

I don't think it could get any friendlier.
Are the remote buttons the same under PDVD?

Can you press that exit button via the remote, or do you need a mouse?
It exits back to kodi when the movie is finished im unsure how it integrates what version are we talking about?
Yes, PDVD buttons and KODI buttons are the same in most cases.
I use a Harmony 900.
It takes a combo of 2 or 3 devices uniquely mapped so that they work together.
As you probably know, there are many keys that will do the same thing.
Assigning keys that work in KODI and PDVD, blended from different devices, is the goal I managed after numerous hours of trial and error and very pleased with the outcome.
I set up 1 activity that uses them so it's not like you have to fumble around or anything.
All the setup was done using Logitech software and a very basic keymap.xml.

'Exit' is mapped to the 'Exit' hard button on my Harmony using Alt + F4 command via this device http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Re...m-p/374844

A couple other devices will be needed for other commands like bringing up subs on the fly in KODI and PDVD or OSD menus, etc.
A few hard buttons on the remote are assigned for KODI while other hard buttons are the same command but for PDVD since some commands are not harmonious.

Soft buttons are mapped to other devices like my panel for switching HDMI inputs while other soft buttons control the AVR sub level for examples.

Furthermore, I use a few X-10 controls also mapped to the same activity.
For example, I press one button and my PC starts from a cold boot, press it once more and KODI is up and running. Press one button and turn it all off.

I'm all about ease of use and automation. I try to set things up "wife friendly" as if bed ridden with only the use of 1 finger and nothing more than a remote control.
(2016-02-22, 17:23)brazen1 Wrote: [ -> ]Just curious, what's not wife-friendly about it?
Every now and then PowerDVD comes up with a screen where instead of playing the movie automatically, it shows 2 buttons "select drive" and "browse more". Arrow keys don't work and I have to hunt for the mouse there to click "select drive". Doesn't happen always but annoying when it does.

Sometimes PDVD used to go 'under' Kodi when started and it's mostly fixed now, it sometimes loses focus (though visible) so the controls don't work. When it all works it is wife friendly but I do get a support call every now and then while traveling.

Even when everything works, just too many remote taps - stop (you could skip it), then exit to get back to Kodi and then press Ok (sometime more than once) and then select the next movie.

(2016-02-22, 17:23)brazen1 Wrote: [ -> ]The code also distinguishes between 2D and 3D iso's and routes to the correct player.
How do you do that? I had to rename the bluray.dll for Kodi to start the external player but now it runs PDVD even for 2D ISOs.
You just define rules in the externalplayer xml its easy i wouldnt got modding dlls but if it works Smile surley ur wife understands sometimes more than one click is required?
Yeah, but it's not just one more click - it's several clicks, like it's 1999 again Smile

Thanks, I'll set up some rules in playercorefactory xml.
yeah true i'll see if i can type something u can cut/paste pal.
(2016-02-24, 02:33)rexian Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-02-22, 17:23)brazen1 Wrote: [ -> ]Just curious, what's not wife-friendly about it?
Every now and then PowerDVD comes up with a screen where instead of playing the movie automatically, it shows 2 buttons "select drive" and "browse more". Arrow keys don't work and I have to hunt for the mouse there to click "select drive". Doesn't happen always but annoying when it does.

Sometimes PDVD used to go 'under' Kodi when started and it's mostly fixed now, it sometimes loses focus (though visible) so the controls don't work. When it all works it is wife friendly but I do get a support call every now and then while traveling.

Even when everything works, just too many remote taps - stop (you could skip it), then exit to get back to Kodi and then press Ok (sometime more than once) and then select the next movie.

(2016-02-22, 17:23)brazen1 Wrote: [ -> ]The code also distinguishes between 2D and 3D iso's and routes to the correct player.
How do you do that? I had to rename the bluray.dll for Kodi to start the external player but now it runs PDVD even for 2D ISOs.

Yeah, but it's not just one more click - it's several clicks, like it's 1999 again Smile

Thanks, I'll set up some rules in playercorefactory xml.

I see.
All your questions, problems, and comments you're having are covered in the guide.
If you choose not to use that method, I can understand why it's problematic for you.