Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Force Software Decode for Interlaced Content?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm running an Android i68 Rockchip 3368 Box (I know, been regretting it for some time...) that I have fairly sorted out except for a couple of issues, with one outstanding issue being deinterlacing in Kodi. Some of my old MPEG-2 videos are interlaced, but the MediaCodec and Rockchip hardware acceleration methods don't permit selection of the deinterlace method and they look terrible when played back. I can make the video run beautifully when running with all hardware acceleration turned off and manually setting the deinterlace method to bob-inverted, but many of my other files subsequently run poorly with hardware acceleration turned off.

My first thought was to tweak the advancedsettings.xml file to disable hardware acceleration based on video stream type, but it doesn't seem like this can be used to control Mediacodec and Rockchip acceleration, only libstagefright (which is obviously no longer used). Is there any other way that I can set it to run with software decode only for interlaced MPEG videos without manually disabling hardware acceleration in the main settings each time? Note that the custom version of Kodi that I'm running is needed for correcting a number of other issues, namely passthrough audio, so I can't run SPMC to allow for the more straight forward codec tweaking.

Any thoughts? I'm still new to Kodi and have only been using it for a few weeks, so I certainly might be overlooking something.