Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Full screen window mode only in menu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a question if this is possible:

I have a Windows based screensaver I absolutely adore for my home theatre. It shows a live feed of earth from the ISS which is simply stunning on my TV screen.

However my TV also offers many display rates, so I quite enjoy the "Adjust display to match refresh rate" setting of Kodi.

The only way for the screensaver of Windows to show up (afaik!) Is to enable the "use a fullscreen window" in Kodi.

However as some videophile purists here are sure to know, not using DirectX is not ideal and it makes the video quite choppy when using the "Adjust display" setting.

So, my question is, is there a setting to enable fullscreen window mode in Kodi while in the main menu, but then switch to DirectX fullscreen mode while playing back video/audio content?

I don't want the screensaver to obviously show during these moments anyways, and the display blanks out for a few seconds while adjusting to the videos refresh rate, so I don't really care that it's toggling back and forth.

Also if this setting doesn't exist ID be willing to modify some script somewhere if one could lead me in the right direction.

Of course, if someone has another solution to get the windows screensaver to work while in DirectX mode i'd be all ears, but afaik this is the only way to get it to work.

Thanks!!!!
Both modes are using Direct X

"Full screen window" is basically Direct X in slow-mo mode so that other programs can be run simultaneous/share the API resources (useful if not a dedicated KODI/HTPC or where you have a multi-display setup)

"Full screen" is Direct X in full throttle mode, the Direct X API is dedicated to running the current program, diminishing the affect of jaggies/screen tears, etc when rendering fast moving scenes or content with VBR (useful on low powered systems or rendering content with VBR)

If you have a separate GPU or powerful CPU it shouldn't matter that it runs in window vs. fullscreen

Maybe post screenshot of settings and debug log so other can see if there is tweaking to be done
(2016-02-23, 12:04)k4sh1n Wrote: [ -> ]Both modes are using Direct X

"Full screen window" is basically Direct X in slow-mo mode so that other programs can be run simultaneous/share the API resources (useful if not a dedicated KODI/HTPC or where you have a multi-display setup)

"Full screen" is Direct X in full throttle mode, the Direct X API is dedicated to running the current program, diminishing the affect of jaggies/screen tears, etc when rendering fast moving scenes or content with VBR (useful on low powered systems or rendering content with VBR)

If you have a separate GPU or powerful CPU it shouldn't matter that it runs in window vs. fullscreen

Maybe post screenshot of settings and debug log so other can see if there is tweaking to be done

Ill post debug log when I get home, but if I run in "full screen window" the video is very choppy if I use "Adjust display to match refresh rate"

I have a very powerful computer, 8 core i5 with an nvidia GTX760, 16gb 2100mhz ram, SSD.
Cpu wont be a problem but maybe gfx is your bottleneck altho not 100%? For kodi you have a best of a PC but for what ur doing i dont know.