Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Ubuntu Xenial builds?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I tried to install Kodi 16 on a beta of Ubuntu Xenial, but the team-xbmc's PPA seems to be incomplete - missing some packages. Currently, the installation fails with:

Code:
kodi : Depends: libgif5 but it is not installable
       Depends: python-support (>= 0.90.0) but it is not installable

Is there any projection when the Kodi 16 builds for Ubuntu Xenial will become available? Thanks!
i am running into the same issue. if you use the ppa:team-xbmc/xbmc-nightly then all that is missing is the python-support but still wont install.
update .. i ended up installing the python-support form the ubuntu launchpad for wily https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-support and kodi then installed correctly
kodi : Depends: libgnutls-deb0-28 but it is not installable or
libgnutls28 but it is not installable or
libgnutls26 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I get the following too because they have moved to libgnutls30 (notice they changed their naming convention again..)
there is a bunch of dependencies for libgnutls-deb0-28 that is not in the xenial repo Sad
(2016-02-28, 15:10)itachi46 Wrote: [ -> ]kodi : Depends: libgnutls-deb0-28 but it is not installable or

I get the following too because they have moved to libgnutls30 (notice they changed their naming convention again..)
there is a bunch of dependencies for libgnutls-deb0-28 that is not in the xenial repo Sad

try using the nightly ppa it would be the alpha build for krypton you will be using but it works.
(2016-02-28, 15:23)valeyard Wrote: [ -> ]try using the nightly ppa it would be the alpha build for krypton you will be using but it works.

I am currently using -> ppa:team-xbmc/xbmc-nightly
Code:
Hit:12 http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/xbmc-nightly/ubuntu xenial InRelease
Reading package lists... Done  
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
kodi : Depends: libgnutls-deb0-28 but it is not installable or
you can try installing the pkg manually http://packages.ubuntu.com/wily/libgnutls-deb0-28 that will get u the .deb file for either 64 or 32 bit
I've rebuilt the jarvis package in the stable ppa. Can't test it myself atm, so please give it a try.
(2016-02-28, 18:47)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]I've rebuilt the jarvis package in the stable ppa. Can't test it myself atm, so please give it a try.

installls perfectly on xenial ubuntu mate. Smile
(2016-02-28, 18:23)valeyard Wrote: [ -> ]you can try installing the pkg manually http://packages.ubuntu.com/wily/libgnutls-deb0-28 that will get u the .deb file for either 64 or 32 bit
too many broken dependencies trying to install it.

(2016-02-28, 18:47)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]I've rebuilt the jarvis package in the stable ppa. Can't test it myself atm, so please give it a try.

works perfect! Thanks! Big Grin

Works like a charm for me too!
Thanks a lot!
(2016-02-29, 11:37)itachi46 Wrote: [ -> ]
works perfect! Thanks! Big Grin

This is very good to hear!

I find myself in a quandary. I need to completely rebuild the Kodi/MythTV setup, as my frontends are currently running on Vivid which ended support in early February, and are starting to become unstable.

it's usually tough to do these updates as the frontends are in frequent use whenever I am not at work. My Fiance will be traveling with her mother in early April, so this will give me ample time to work on the system, but unfortunately it is a couple of weeks before the final Xenial release. I don't want to do a Wily install with Xenial only a couple of weeks away.

My plan is currently to do the updates while she is away using the final Xenial beta to be released on March 24th, since I have been told it will update cleanly to the release version via apt.

I'm just hoping Fritsch (or someone else) updates the install guide by then. With all the reported changes in Xenial (Mir, SystemD, Python 2->, etc.) I'm a little lost how to set it up in appliance mode without a desktop environment, like he does so well!
there is nothing to update. the howto works with xenial, you just need 1 additional package: xserver-xorg-legacy

and instead of x11-common you reconfigure this:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg-legacy
(2016-03-15, 19:03)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]there is nothing to update. the howto works with xenial, you just need 1 additional package: xserver-xorg-legacy

and instead of x11-common you reconfigure this:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg-legacy

Oh, thank you, that is great news! I thought the package transitions (especially systemd) would cause some trouble.

I'm going to be modifying mine slightly though. I follow the guide primarily to get the desktop-environment-free setup right. My setup uses Nvidia hardware and VDPAU though, so I will be passing on all the intel/vaapi stuff, as well as using the mainline Kodi builds instead of the ones in your PPA.

For whatever odd reason, while the Intel/Vaapi/EGL setup works brilliantly with local content, it has been unstable and full of glitches (especially when deinterlacing) when used in conjunction with MythTV and mpeg2 files recorded off of live TV as a DVR. All of these issues go away as soon as I run it on nvidia hardware though.

All the help over the years with the PPA is greatly appreciated though!

Thanks again!
yes, for nvidia its best to use mainline. My fernetmenta-master ppa is even more bleeding edge the our nightlies and meant for testing new stuff to come.