Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Movies pausing randomly after Shield update to Marshmallow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello everyone, thing have been working great, we love our Shield and Kodi. My kids watch movies continuously all day. However after the update, the movies play fine, however the movies will simply pause for some reason and we must click play to continue.
Our Shield is hard wired to a 1GB Ethernet connection so there are no wifi issues here.

We tried uninstalling and reinstalling Kodi from scratch, the issue persists. So we thought we would come here to ask you guys what we should do.

This has never happened before. We bought the shield when it was released, so this is the 3rd update and the issues did not exist on the previous 2 versions.

Thanks in advance for your help,
To receive any useful help you would need to provide me information. Where are your movies stored for example?

Even better you could replicate the problem and send a debug log.
Thank you for your response. Our movies are stored on our hp mediasmart server ex495 (model) and the shield is accessing the media via SMB. The media server is basically Windows 2003 Server edition.
I am happy to provide a debug log. I will need to read up on how to acquire them first.

Good morning,
OK see if you can get a debug log sent which may hopefully shed light on what is happening.
I tried to PM you, however my account was restricted from sending PMs. So here is the link:
http://xbmclogs.com/pk2lvctby

Regards,
Someone more knowledgeable will probably be able to help you more than me ,
But you are getting loads of permission denied errors and access errors when connecting to your server.
Have you changed any settings on your router at all as it just seems like a security issue or firewall.
Maybe in the new update theyve added some extra security somewhere.
If you have a windows computer try streaming a video through there.
Also don't know if you can but try and get a android app to try and ping the IP address of your server see what you get.
I've just read on Google+ that the 3.0 update on the Nvidia Shield Android TV seems to have added an undocumented feature to the Shield remote. Double tapping the volume up "+" symbol on the remote pause video playback.

Don't know if this is related to your issue.
Thanks for the reply and that's good to know about. However the movies and are pausing during playback and no one is near the remote.
OK, we have tried everything. From setting explicit permissions and using a service account on the folders (reapplied permissions to all child objects) to setting perms to anonymous access to clearing the Shield cache to doing a factory reset. The pausing persists.

Do you know if it's possible to get the previous version (15) apk from somewhere. I'd like to roll back to that version to see if the issue remains.
Just posting an update, we rolled back to Kodi version 15.2 (Isenberg I think its called) and the issue persists. We also changed routers and tried both wired and wifi. So, the issue must be related to the Android Marshmallow update.
We are going to try and go back to Kodi 15.1 and see what happens next.
One other note, with Kodi version 15.2, movies only pause once during playback instead of many times randomly and the pause seems to occur about an hour or more into the movie. Before it was pausing several times randomly from around 7 minutes in and 30 minutes in 1 hour in and beyond.
Do you use the nvidia Remote? Maybe the Remote is going to standby or sleep mode and causing this!?
I have this exact issue happening on 2 Shields and a Nexus Player. Prior to the 16 update the video would randomly stop, not pause. They're all accessing a 2012 R2 server via SMB. I thought it might be the server and so I switched to a different 2012 R2 server, same issue happening from a different server.
I should also mention these pauses happen in YouTube, Sling, and Netflix also. So I'm definitely leaning toward this being an AndroidTV issue, not specifically Kodi.
Pages: 1 2 3