Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Slow/Stutter-filled Jarvis (Shield TV)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It's been talked about a bit in the Shield TV thread, but there doesn't seem any specific resolution to this and I'm wondering if it's happening to even more people or android as a whole...or worse, across platforms.

Since my upgrade to Jarvis, Kodi has been unbearably slow. It takes a few seconds for each menu to pop up. If I start a local file from the movies or tv menu, it takes about 10 seconds before it loads. It doesn't shut down properly or at all anymore (meaning, exiting kodi). Every menu I go into in any add-on takes about 10-15 seconds to load...if not longer. Backing out of menus is horrendous.

Once actual playback starts, it works fine...but it's all other interaction with the menus and everything else that's not working.

Kodi is installed directly on the shield (not on the SD) and I had absolutely no problems (I loved my kodi Sad ) before the Jarvis update. I've been trying to avoid going through a full uninstall and reinstall of kodi, but it looks like i may not have a choice. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Pretty much everybody is experiencing this and can provide simple ways to replicate the problem, but since we don't have "debug logs," it's not a problem nor is it going to get fixed. That's what I was told.
yeah, i checked my debug logs and see nothing out of the ordinary either. this is completely strange..

edit: do you know if it's happening on other platforms? my main box is a kodibuntu and i'd rather not upgrade if this will happen there too
Did you adopt you SD Card as internal storage?

If you did and you "Moved data" then this is what's causing the issue, doubtful that a debug log is going to help anything.

I'm not going to into what I think the problem is since it's an educated guess at best, but there are some definite issues with storage. I can tell you how to fix it though.

First backup your .kodi folder and do a Factory Reset. Once the reset is finished adopt your storage, then reinstall Kodi. Run Kodi once then close it, then you can restore the .kodi folder you backed up, just overwrite the new .kodi folder.

This may seem like an extreme measure, but since I had the same problem on 2 SATVs this was the only way I found to use my SD Cards as adoptable storage and not have issues with Kodi.
i'll test that out over the weekend see if it works. That's really frustrating though because kodi hasn't been moved to the sd card, even though the other things have...i'll report back here. Thanks
(2016-02-27, 01:40)truthlesshero Wrote: [ -> ]i'll test that out over the weekend see if it works. That's really frustrating though because kodi hasn't been moved to the sd card, even though the other things have...i'll report back here. Thanks

Yeah, I can see why some might think that Kodi is still on the internal storage, which it is, but I don't think that's the whole story.

I accidentally stumbled on something when re-setting up one of SATVs that could explain why people are having issues. I don't want to go into, since it's really just a guess right now, but I can say that "Move data" doesn't appear to work as it should.
I don't see any slowdowns on my Shield TV. *shrug*
(2016-02-27, 07:17)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see any slowdowns on my Shield TV. *shrug*

Variables. Confused
(2016-02-27, 07:17)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see any slowdowns on my Shield TV. *shrug*

Me neither. Smooth as butter but perhaps because I have the 500Gb version?
(2016-02-27, 10:06)Dangelus Wrote: [ -> ]

Me neither. Smooth as butter but perhaps because I have the 500Gb version?

And did you adopt a SD Card as internal storage and move data to the card?

If not then you're not going to have issues, even on the 16GB model as long as you're using the actual internal storage there's no problems. The issue only comes up after you migrate data to the SD Card.

And actually it may even be more related to if you were previously using a SD Card for apps and migrated to a USB then back to the SD Card.
What does the path look like for your external storage to the Kodi data?
Hi there

I don't know if this will be of any use to you, but I have Kodi on the fire stick and since I updated to v16 Jarvis tonight, I've experienced the type of lag you've described! Very frustrating! Anyway, I've discovered that my problem lies with the skin I was using prior to the update. I was using Aeon-Nox Silvo but once I changed it back to confluence, everything is working again as it should, ie zero lag!

It might not help you but just thought I'd add it in here as I've been trying to find a solution all night to the lag problem.

Hope you get sorted! Smile
(2016-02-27, 21:24)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]What does the path look like for your external storage to the Kodi data?

Don't know since it's "adopted" storage and is treated as though it's part of the internal storage. There's no way to differentiate between what's on the SD Card and actual internal storage.

So if you look at the path, it's going to look just like the path to the internal storage, at least from a file explorer.

(2016-02-27, 22:57)Xciteuk Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there

I don't know if this will be of any use to you, but I have Kodi on the fire stick and since I updated to v16 Jarvis tonight, I've experienced the type of lag you've described! Very frustrating! Anyway, I've discovered that my problem lies with the skin I was using prior to the update. I was using Aeon-Nox Silvo but once I changed it back to confluence, everything is working again as it should, ie zero lag!

It might not help you but just thought I'd add it in here as I've been trying to find a solution all night to the lag problem.

Hope you get sorted! Smile

Nothing to do with the SATV's issues.
Ah, so not using the other method. Gotcha.
Nope, not path substitution. This is one of the new features of "M".

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...rshmallow/

Though it's described as " replace their current internal storage", which is not what it does.
Pages: 1 2