Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Prevent Android Daydream Screensaver?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since it's now a "feature" of Kodi 16 to stop paused videos when focus is lost, or stolen by Daydream, can Kodi be setup to prevent Daydream from starting?

The double screensaver was fine back when Kodi kept your video paused in the background, but the new behaviour of Kodi 16 is unacceptable in my opinion. It's destroyed the awesome user experience for me.
Disabling the Kodi screensaver (or enabling a different one than "dim" or "black") prevents daydream to kick in.
Disabling the screensaver isn't an option when you have a plasma tv and are power conscious.

I've temporally unchecked the dim option for paused video. However can dim be setup to prevent Daydream? Sounds like Kodi needs an option to totally disable the host screensaver.
(2016-02-27, 10:57)mdh99 Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like Kodi needs an option to totally disable the host screensaver.

You know you can disable daydream in the Android system setting, right?

P.S. "plasma tv" and "power conscious" in the same sentence doesn't feel right Wink
(2016-02-27, 11:17)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]You know you can disable daydream in the Android system setting, right?

Of course I know you can turn Daydream. Why would you want to disable the screensaver of the whole system just for one setting off one app?

Dim should be treated as a screensaver or and option should be added to prevent the host screensaver why Kodi has focus.
Err... Ok. Stick to 15.2, then...
(2016-02-27, 11:29)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Err... Ok. Stick to 15.2, then...

Awesome attitude!
(2016-02-27, 11:39)mdh99 Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome attitude!

What is? None of 16.0 possibilities has your agreement...
You want the 15.2 way, so stick with 15.2.
I really hope your condescending stiff-shit attitude isn't the norm amongst "Team-Kodi Developers".

Front-end functionality has changed for the worse. Do a search, I'm not the only one unhappy with this change.

Make dim block the Daydream, just like screensavers. It's so painfully logical I didn't understand why it not already the case.
Obviously this account will be banned too, however I was banned for "bad language against team members." and there is no means of lodging a protest or contacting a moderator directly. So...

There is no bad language against or directed at a team member in my post. Your interpretation doesn't match the context.

I really hope your condescending tough-luck attitude isn't the norm amongst "Team-Kodi Developers".
I really hope your condescending get-stuffed attitude isn't the norm amongst "Team-Kodi Developers".
I really hope your condescending I don't care attitude isn't the norm amongst "Team-Kodi Developers".
I really hope your condescending tough-titties attitude isn't the norm amongst "Team-Kodi Developers".
I really hope your condescending like it or lump it attitude isn't the norm amongst "Team-Kodi Developers".
I really hope your condescending stiff-shit attitude isn't the norm amongst "Team-Kodi Developers".

As you can see, all these sentences have the same meaning, and none of them target bad language at an individual or group.

You can also a search of the forum for the word 'shit' and you'll find it's used, according to Google, 4,440 times without any users being banned.
There is no precedence to ban me for simply using a very common word.

Reinstate my account and move on.

Cheers!
(2016-02-27, 13:08)mdh99 Wrote: [ -> ]Make dim block the Daydream, just like screensavers. It's so painfully logical I didn't understand why it not already the case.

You have exactly 1 line to change to do what you want: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/Jarvis....cpp#L4154
Isn't open-source wonderful...
I don't understand the issue. Black and Dim aren't real screensavers anyways. Anyone with a plasma TV would want to avoid them and use a different Kodi screensaver.

Even forgetting that, if Kodi has been put on pause that long then why is it a bother that the video stops? Just press select again and resume when you get back from the toilet/popcorn/phone call/whatever.

Maybe I would feel differently if I didn't think that Dim and Black were pointless.
As a compromise, what if a new default screensaver was added called "use system screensaver"? That way no one can bitch about it being Android-only. Instead, Android is simply the first one to use it ;)
(2016-02-27, 21:17)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand the issue. Black and Dim aren't real screensavers anyways. Anyone with a plasma TV would want to avoid them and use a different Kodi screensaver.

Even forgetting that, if Kodi has been put on pause that long then why is it a bother that the video stops? Just press select again and resume when you get back from the toilet/popcorn/phone call/whatever.

Maybe I would feel differently if I didn't think that Dim and Black were pointless.

Dim is awesome for a plasma and far from pointless; low brightness equal low power draw and I've never seen any burn-in.

I wouldn't have a problem with the video stopping if I'm the one who takes focus away, or if Kodi created a resume point every time. So far it seems 50/50 if Kodi actually creates a resume point, and the obvious frustration that goes with that.

(2016-02-27, 21:21)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]As a compromise, what if a new default screensaver was added called "use system screensaver"? That way no one can bitch about it being Android-only. Instead, Android is simply the first one to use it Wink

I have it set to start the Kodi Slideshow screensaver after 60 seconds at 10% brightness or dim to 10% if a video is paused. Android's Daydream is set to minimum 5 mins. This worked so well before Kodi stopped the video.
It seem so logical to have it setup this way.
I've just realised there maybe some confusion here.

I don't have "Dim" set as my screensaver.
I have "Picture Slideshow Screensaver" set as the screensaver and the check box "Use dim if paused during video playback" selected.

Only in this situation would I want "dim" to prevent the host screensaver.
Pages: 1 2