Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Flag to start in directory mode by default
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello.

(I ask my question beforehand, so that you can skip the explaination below, if it does not apply to you)
Can we please have a Flag that allows us to choose to skip the default viewing mode and start directory based by default?

That's it, now the story behind this request. Over the years I collected a fairly huge amount of series. Most of it is scrapeable, but some is to old or to exotic to be labeled by a scrapper. Actually I have almost 200 directories in my series directory that are unscrapeable.
Now the problem: Whenever I start Kodi and select 'series', I end in the series directory, but only with scraping credentials. That means, I don't see the unscrapeable content (using banner view).
To circumvent this I then move to the beginning of that list and press the 'up' button, again 'up'button' and end in the listbox that has the 'files' option in it. I select this and go back to the series-directory from there.
_Then_ is the first time I see the complete list of series-directories there. The unscraped directories are then labeled with a default folder icon, which is sufficient at this point!

To get over this situation I'd put a default thumbnail into these directories, which makes the system think, it belongs in the 'scraped list'. So next Time I opended kodi I would see this serie eventually.
However, it has some drawbacks. First of all it is an insane amount of stupid work to label all those unscrapeable dirs with a dummy thumbnail to circumvent that behaviour. But more important, whenever you rebuild the database, they're gone (which is technically correct). So same procedure all over again.

I have tried almost any option that has the faintest connection to this topic, but I have not found a solution and that led me here. Is there any help in sight? Thanks in advance.

Dizman
Why not just add the root folder as a fav and link to main menu
@k4sh1n: Thanls for the reply. I admit, I havn't thought of that. I may do so Smile

On the other hand I would say it is a bigger problem. I would not have written a feature request, if I wouldn't know of others with the same problem.
The real problem is, that Kodis default behaviour is well for ... maintainable amounts of libraries. You then can alter the remaining parts by hand to your liking, which is a good way to handle that. The problem arises, when your library becomes larger. You _will_ end in several (maybe lots of, depends on your preferences) not scrapeable files/directories, which makes it more than cumbersome to handle that. What adds to this, all that is maintained by hand vanishes, if you clean up your database and that is neccessary from time to time, if you have a huge library.

In my opinion two approaches possible:
- give the settings a flag to go into directory mode by default, or
- spare the 'hand-filled' unscraped files/directories out of the 'clean database'. That would at least not destroy the already set files/dirs out of your list.

I would prefer the first option.
Both of what your after already exist.

My content is very maintainable (in excess of 70TB) both scrape-able and non

Unscraped media can remain in file mode and will have no effect on clean library (alternately if I wish, I add .nfos to my home movies)

You can also choose to exclude directories from being updated

Note: file mode is always accessible from video menu