Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [ALPHA] Estuary - Kodis new default skin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://screenshotcomparison.com/images/1...675489.png

Aesthetically and in terms of functionality (ease of absorbing information visually) it's not ideal for half of the metadata to be on the left of the screen and half on the right.
This information (5.1, DTS, 1.85 etc) should be grouped together. I know you are trying to give it symmetry but functionally it makes little sense.

A basic tenet of UI design is to minimize the 'hunting' and eye movement required to locate the desired information. All the miscellaneous details relating to the chosen movie - plot, year, runtime, aspect etc should be in a similar area of the frame.

I'm not having a go or criticising the skin. Just giving some info on UI considerations.
(2016-10-26, 15:06)voochi Wrote: [ -> ]http://screenshotcomparison.com/images/1...675489.png

Aesthetically and in terms of functionality (ease of absorbing information visually) it's not ideal for half of the metadata to be on the left of the screen and half on the right.
This information (5.1, DTS, 1.85 etc) should be grouped together. I know you are trying to give it symmetry but functionally it makes little sense.

A basic tenet of UI design is to minimize the 'hunting' and eye movement required to locate the desired information. All the miscellaneous details relating to the chosen movie - plot, year, runtime, aspect etc should be in a similar area of the frame.

I'm not having a go or criticising the skin. Just giving some info on UI considerations.

At least the labels are grouped into audio flags on the left and video on the right. I think there's some benefit to that instead of just having a string of flags lumped together.
(2016-10-26, 15:33)_matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]At least the labels are grouped into audio flags on the left and video on the right. I think there's some benefit to that instead of just having a string of flags lumped together.

You can still group them like that if you want, without having them on opposite sides of the screen.

Im also not sure what the downside of 'lumping' them together is. These are all grouped under the category of technical flags.

With UI design we try to have one designated area for the list and then we consolidate all information about the highlighted item into a common region of the screen.

A mistake that a lot of skins make is that you have to look to one side of the screen for plot, another side for year, another corner for runtime etc. Too much 'hunting' around the screen. It can look fancy or even 'cool' in a static screenshot but the usability suffers heavily.

Estuary does not make this mistake for the most part.
In the Wall view, it would be useful to scroll long names when you hover over the thumbnail.
(2016-10-26, 16:07)voochi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-26, 15:33)_matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]At least the labels are grouped into audio flags on the left and video on the right. I think there's some benefit to that instead of just having a string of flags lumped together.

You can still group them like that if you want, without having them on opposite sides of the screen.

Im also not sure what the downside of 'lumping' them together is. These are all grouped under the category of technical flags.

With UI design we try to have one designated area for the list and then we consolidate all information about the highlighted item into a common region of the screen.

A mistake that a lot of skins make is that you have to look to one side of the screen for plot, another side for year, another corner for runtime etc. Too much 'hunting' around the screen. It can look fancy or even 'cool' in a static screenshot but the usability suffers heavily.

I was just offering that as a probable rationale for why they're presented the way they are. I usually have those flags toggled off anyway. (It would be nice for them to be included somewhere in an item's info page, though.)

It's difficult to get too worked up over the flags in light of the more striking changes to InfoWall, though.

The full before/after comparison again for anyone out of the loop: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/188481

It's the same with the homescreen submenu being icons tucked away in the top right corner in a horizontal layout
While the main menu sits to the left in a vertical layout. It makes my head hurt that this was even considered.

There are many great discussions in this thread about usability and great suggestions for the skin to be improved.
But I get the feeling a lot of this is falling on deaf ears or simply being ignored, which is a real shame.

But could be that this will all be addressed sooner or later, I would've thought sooner rather than later but it is what it is. I hate to say it but there's always other skins... It would be great to get all this sorted before the stable release though.
(2016-10-26, 20:39)loggio Wrote: [ -> ]

It's the same with the homescreen submenu being icons tucked away in the top right corner in a horizontal layout
While the main menu sits to the left in a vertical layout. It makes my head hurt that this was even considered.

There are many great discussions in this thread about usability and great suggestions for the skin to be improved.
But I get the feeling a lot of this is falling on deaf ears or simply being ignored, which is a real shame.

But could be that this will all be addressed sooner or later, I would've thought sooner rather than later but it is what it is. I hate to say it but there's always other skins... It would be great to get all this sorted before the stable release though.

Please keep in mind, that this is open source and we would love to see you improve the useability. I'm sure phil would welcome any pull request here: https://github.com/phil65/skin.estuary/tree/master

Also the submenu is bound to change, with estuary v2, probably not going to be vertical, but just handled like regular menu items on the right.
(2016-10-24, 12:45)Sinisan Wrote: [ -> ]Hello all,

As this skin is the "official" one for Librelec beta's development, I would try to find a way to do what I need.

Do you know if it could be possible to add a entry in the context menu (key "I" when on a movie, via library view for example) to add "tags" to this movie ? I would like to use tags (http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_library_tags) to manage manual playlists for my family (those movies for my children, those ones for my wife, those ones for all the family...), but it's really uncomfortable to populate the tag list thru the tag menu. You have to chose "add movies" when you are on a tag, and then the list is "brut one" : no filter, no view, no informations... only the list of all movies you have.

It would be more confortable doing this via any view we choose, and then being able to add one (or more) tags to a movie we're working on.

Do you know if somebody could help me ? Thank you very much.

Hello all,

....no idea for me ?

Thank you.
(2016-10-27, 09:03)Sinisan Wrote: [ -> ]

As this skin is the "official" one for Librelec beta's development, I would try to find a way to do what I need.

Do you know if it could be possible to add a entry in the context menu (key "I" when on a movie, via library view for example) to add "tags" to this movie ? I would like to use tags (http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_library_tags) to manage manual playlists for my family (those movies for my children, those ones for my wife, those ones for all the family...), but it's really uncomfortable to populate the tag list thru the tag menu. You have to chose "add movies" when you are on a tag, and then the list is "brut one" : no filter, no view, no informations... only the list of all movies you have.

It would be more confortable doing this via any view we choose, and then being able to add one (or more) tags to a movie we're working on.

Hello all,

....no idea for me ?

Thank you.

That´s not skin-related.
Could be done via a context menu add-on.
Return Please display wall as it was before

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/188481
Please, can anyone help me with the specific Viewtypes of/for this Skin?
Add me to the list of those who want the old Wall and Info Wall views back. On the latest iteration of these two views, there is no easy way to view the IMDb rating of a specific TV Show or Movie... or a way to sort them by rating.
(2016-10-26, 21:19)Razze Wrote: [ -> ]Please keep in mind, that this is open source and we would love to see you improve the useability. I'm sure phil would welcome any pull request here: https://github.com/phil65/skin.estuary/tree/master

Also the submenu is bound to change, with estuary v2, probably not going to be vertical, but just handled like regular menu items on the right.

Something like this, perhaps?

(2016-07-04, 12:29)loggio Wrote: [ -> ]...I've put together a mock up of how the submenus/widgets could possibly be enhanced. this includes the submenus remaining as icons, but putting them in a more suited place.

In this image, obviously widgets have been resized to better fit the layout, also a different layout example for a widget.
The submenu is placed vertically next to the main menu. Pressing 'right' would take you directly to it.

Once on the submenu, the main menu is cleared and shows only the text of the particular highlighted submenu item. with the icon of 'movies' still present, shows you that you're in the movies submenu, and an arrow to show that pushing left or back will take you back to the main menu.

Just a suggestion of course, but to me this is so much more organised and with the widgets resized and aligned to the right, the widgets become less obtrusive and more pleasing to look at.
(2016-10-27, 20:27)phil65 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-27, 09:03)Sinisan Wrote: [ -> ]

Hello all,

....no idea for me ?

Thank you.

That´s not skin-related.
Could be done via a context menu add-on.

Thank you for your help. Could you tell me a bit more ? do you know which add-on I could choose ? I looked for, but can"t find any managing tags, neither one customizable.

Thank you Smile
(2016-10-28, 08:44)applex Wrote: [ -> ]Return Please display wall as it was before

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/188481

Estuary Mod has a "Simple Wall" view that is a good match to the old view, but it also has more options: Simple Wall Layout