Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [ALPHA] Estuary - Kodis new default skin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The latter versions of beta6 look zoomed on 1080p as mentioned before, it would be great if this could be changed for those without 4k tv's
Also I have been using chartruese color, and it does not look as good anymore, it provides 6 backgrounds of pretty much the same thing.
Would it be possible to have one of them match the beta5/early beta6 look?
Since a/b comparisons are useful for these discussions:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/192136/
(2016-11-28, 21:17)mazey Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-11-28, 20:08)_matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]I think the category icons look comically large. Making them as wide as other poster & thumb columns just for visual consistency is not worth the compromise in utility. (Side note: the always visible "update library" button from Estuary v1's more useful small icon row is already being missed by others in my household.) The large row of categories combined with the very large clock in the top-right makes the home screen feel off balance right from the start, as if there's some sort of scaling issue going on.

I just don't consider the categories as "important' as the individual media items below them, which should have the spotlight. It's also odd to have a second icon row for genres sandwiched further down.

On a 16x9 TV using v2, there is now so much more vertical and horizontal hunting required that the awesome overview feeling of the home screen is lost. Especially if you have a few in-progress items...

... one row of 2 items. Undecided

(2016-11-28, 12:49)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe the media artwork and category icons could be shrunk a little to see if more could fit on screen, but personally I think if anything further is done then the consistent width size between the category icons and the media artwork in the widgets below needs to be kept.
It looks like there is plenty of dead space that can be trimmed away to get back to seeing 2 rows of 5 items (on a 16x9 screen anyway, which surely applies to the vast majority) without shrinking the artwork. The left-side nav column can lose a lot of width, and the padding around media items and at the beginning of each row could be reduced.

Right now it feels like excessively large buttons and margins are squeezing out the actual content. I'm really not liking seeing so many images cut off at 3 different edges of the screen. As someone mentioned on the blog post, maybe it's an OCD thing.

i agree 100% with all these comments. Smile

+1
100% agree
(2016-11-28, 23:21)_matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]Since a/b comparisons are useful for these discussions:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/192136/

Looking at a screenshot of the Add-ons screen makes it look much nicer.

I think its a grid based design which explains the space between icons or posters, and also scales nicely for different screen resolutions.

Also the size of text is important and trying not to go onto 2 lines as much as possible (my ocd wants "install from repo" below so its on a single line).

It looks very google material design style which I like.

this view looks ugly, primitive, like child's crayon representation of the old v1 version, a 480p view of the world.... it is as if the Dev team where in a hurry to take changes that they didn't have time to incorporate the feedback from v1... OCD reaction to feedback? Yet some parts are an improvements.,So like previous beta versions, the Dev team have been good a incorporating feedback and the beta journey is not finished and appreciate their efforts, so looking forward to the refinements as they eventuate
(2016-11-29, 11:15)docwra Wrote: [ -> ]It looks very google material design style which I like.

That's because it is how it started out, the Team internally knew the difficulties of the v1 design then this appeared http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=289449 and as a result ryanmah is one of the guys whose been working with phil to get v2 done.
(2016-11-28, 21:40)_matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-11-28, 21:20)Razze Wrote: [ -> ]Please consider other languages, when talking about making the left column. Some languages might have comically long titles in that bar there. Not really a place where you would want scrolling entries.
Was that an issue with the previous version of Estuary, where the left column was ~80 pixels narrower?

Not sure, I just remember some team members talking about that some weeks/months ago.
(2016-11-29, 14:59)Razze Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-11-28, 21:40)_matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-11-28, 21:20)Razze Wrote: [ -> ]Please consider other languages, when talking about making the left column. Some languages might have comically long titles in that bar there. Not really a place where you would want scrolling entries.
Was that an issue with the previous version of Estuary, where the left column was ~80 pixels narrower?

Not sure, I just remember some team members talking about that some weeks/months ago.

Perhaps that column could benefit from the new skin's responsive design capabilities-- expanding to a specified max width to accommodate long titles only as needed.

(2016-11-29, 11:15)docwra Wrote: [ -> ]Looking at a screenshot of the Add-ons screen makes it look much nicer.

I'll include the add-ons screen next time I do a comparison batch. I use that hub so seldom, I didn't even think about it.
Showing only half or 1/3 of the images near the edge is actually a great idea. It gives the user a visual cue that there is more content available. No need for ugly arrow indicators or scrollbars.
It's a much, much better design.

I just need the ability to disable certain widget playlists and add my own. I'd like to be able to display addon information as widgets, like ExtendedInfo Script IMDB information for example.
This can't be done manually on Openelec/Libreelec as the system is locked down, the Kodi install directory /usr/share/kodi is read only and cannot be modified... so i do not have the ability to rename or delete the default widget playlists.

And the ability to rearrange/rename the main menu items.... It seems this is a feature asked for quite frequently but is yet to be formally addressed.

Also, can "random movies" and "random tv shows" playlist widgets be renamed to something a little more appealing?
like "My Movies" or "Spotlight" Just something a little more creative than "random movies"

Cheers,
Loggio.
(2016-11-29, 23:48)loggio Wrote: [ -> ]It's a much, much better design.

I just need the ability to disable certain widget playlists and add my own. I'd like to be able to display addon information as widgets, like ExtendedInfo Script IMDB information for example.
This can't be done manually on Openelec/Libreelec as the system is locked down, the Kodi install directory /usr/share/kodi is read only and cannot be modified... so i do not have the ability to rename or delete the default widget playlists.

And the ability to rearrange/rename the main menu items.... It seems this is a feature asked for quite frequently but is yet to be formally addressed.

Also, can "random movies" and "random tv shows" playlist widgets be renamed to something a little more appealing?
like "My Movies" or "Spotlight" Just something a little more creative than "random movies"

Cheers,
Loggio.
You can ssh in to the RPI and mount it a rw, or download the skin from github and save it under a diferent name.
I like the Wall viewtype option it looks good and the way there is a portion of the posters peaking out at the bottom invites the user to scroll down or up, this is really good!

Favourites is in the menu and how they are shown is excellent as well. so rather happy with the changes.
(2016-11-29, 23:48)loggio Wrote: [ -> ]And the ability to rearrange/rename the main menu items.... It seems this is a feature asked for quite frequently but is yet to be formally addressed.

It's not possible right now, in a sane not hacky way. But it's on the long term goal list. Won't happen for v17, but who knows.
Just updated for this skin through the windows store. But my views are nothing like the screens shown.For one the wall view has all the titles and making the poster smaller, same for the info wall.